February 13, 2013

New Harry Potter Covers?!!

Posted by at 5:07 pm in Harry Potter, Reads, Sneak Peek | Permalink

SneakPeekNew Harry Potter Covers

UPDATE: The 15th Anniversary is here! See the new covers for Book #2, Books #3-5, Book #6, and Book #7!

To celebrate the 15th anniversary of the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling, Scholastic has unveiled the first of 7 all-new book covers illustrated by Amulet artist Kazu Kibuishi.

Kibuishi is a longtime Harry Potter fan who called this opportunity, “more than a little surreal. The Harry Potter covers by Mary GrandPré are so fantastic and iconic,” he says. “When I was asked to submit samples, I initially hesitated because I didn’t want to see them reinterpreted! . . . As an author myself, I tried to answer the question, ‘If I were the author of the books – and they were like my own children – how would I want them to be seen years from now?’”

Well, here is the answer to that question for Book #1: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.

HP1covers

All 7 new covers will appear on U.S. paperback editions coming in September 2013 and will depict a “distinctive and memorable moment” from each book. This one obviously depicts Harry Potter’s first visit to Diagon Alley with Hagrid.

We are curious to hear what you think should appear on the covers of Books #2-7. Leave your most distinctive and memorable moments from each book in the Comments. And tell us what you think of the new cover for Book #1! Personally, after my first reaction (which was a loud gasp!) I can now say that I LOVE it!!

Cover art by Mary GrandPré c 1998, and Kazu Kibuishi c 2013

1. midnightphoenix96

wowzers! that is so epic!! but i really like the old one too. HARRY POTTER IS AMAZING!! the thrill. ;)

2. Pnut10

Hey there!
    I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan and have reread the books too many times to count. I like the new covers however, I think they should stick with the old covers. The old covers are what we are all used to, it really represents the books and shows what Harry is doing, gives us a question to answer, and shows how Mary GrandPré and J. K. Rowling thought Harry should look as he grows up through the series. I have all seven in mixmatched order because I’m too cheap to buy ‘em new so I see just how loved these old books are because they were other people’s books before they were mine. I definatly think something should be done for the 15 year anniversary but I don’t think it should be to change the book covers. Thanks for listening to my nerd rant!
    -Pnut10
    Proud Slytherin or Ravenclaw (haven’t quite decided :D )

3. Kat

I like the new HPots cover(that’s what my Language Arts teacher called it, yes… I know) … The new one is more interesting, vibrant and eye catching, but the artist did have the advantage of seeing the movie.

4. GorrilaPolorBear757

good one basketballdolphin93 i agree! he had an advantage. the original author did amazing without seeing the movies!

5. basketballdolphin93

I think the new covers should be of:
    1. Harry with the sorcerer’s stone in his hand
    2.harry /w/ dead basilisk and conscious Ginny
    3.the lake /w/ harry sirius and the
    dementors
    4.Voldemort rising out of the cauldron being re-born
    5.voldemort possessing harry
    6.retreiving te fake horcrux
    7.????? (i didn’t finish it)

6. darkblue300

Here’s what I think for covers
    Book 2:Ginny comes downstairs and sees Harry
    Book 3:Harry blowing up Aunt Marge
    Book 4:Harry rescuing Ron and Gabrielle Delacour.
    Book 5:Harry at his trial
    Book 7:The Potters and Weasleys sending Rose and Albus off for their first year at Hogwarts.

7. Brook

The new cover looks so cool! the way that it seems to capture the suspense and the mood of the setting is so awesome!
    My Opinions on the other pictures
    book #2- Harry and Ron sitting next to a peetrified Hermione
    #3- A couple of dementors floating by Honeydukes with Harry holding his invisibility cloak
    #4- the four champions underwater with all of the hostages and the merfolk all around them
    #5- Professor Umbridge giving her boring speech and half of the great hall zoning out
    #6- Kreacher having a fit at number four privet drive and Petunia grimacing in the background
    #7- The trio falling out of the gringotts cart and Hermoine using the cushion charm

8. moonypadfootandprongs

I really love the new cover! The old one didn’t really give the book justice and the boy looked nothing like Harry. For the second book it should be when Harry and Ron are flying over London. The third book should have the marauders running around the school grounds. The fourth book should be when Harry fights the dragon. The fifth book should definitely be when everyone in Dumbledore’s army accomplishes their patronuses. The sixth book should be when Ron drinks the love potion. The seventh book should be when they fly out of Gringotts on a dragon.

9. maddie228906

I love the new cover for the first book. I immediately knew what it was. I would say that for the next books, it should involve more characters in big sequences.

10. Swimmer1127

The new cover looks cool,and actually looks like the actor who played Harry. I still like the original better though.

11. wonderfullywanderingalone

I really fancy both book covers. Harry Potter was my childhood, and when these new books come out, I hope to buy them to relive the adventures.