February 13, 2013

New Harry Potter Covers?!!

Posted by at 5:07 pm in Harry Potter, Reads, Sneak Peek | Permalink

SneakPeekNew Harry Potter Covers

UPDATE: The 15th Anniversary is here! See the new covers for Book #2, Books #3-5, Book #6, and Book #7!

To celebrate the 15th anniversary of the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling, Scholastic has unveiled the first of 7 all-new book covers illustrated by Amulet artist Kazu Kibuishi.

Kibuishi is a longtime Harry Potter fan who called this opportunity, “more than a little surreal. The Harry Potter covers by Mary GrandPré are so fantastic and iconic,” he says. “When I was asked to submit samples, I initially hesitated because I didn’t want to see them reinterpreted! . . . As an author myself, I tried to answer the question, ‘If I were the author of the books – and they were like my own children – how would I want them to be seen years from now?’”

Well, here is the answer to that question for Book #1: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.

HP1covers

All 7 new covers will appear on U.S. paperback editions coming in September 2013 and will depict a “distinctive and memorable moment” from each book. This one obviously depicts Harry Potter’s first visit to Diagon Alley with Hagrid.

We are curious to hear what you think should appear on the covers of Books #2-7. Leave your most distinctive and memorable moments from each book in the Comments. And tell us what you think of the new cover for Book #1! Personally, after my first reaction (which was a loud gasp!) I can now say that I LOVE it!!

Cover art by Mary GrandPré c 1998, and Kazu Kibuishi c 2013

1. Rachel

I like this idea of having new book covers …Can’t fathome thats it’s been 15teen years since my first trip to Hogwarts!

2. IcePhoenix36

I love Harry Potter, so I think I am sticking with the original cover. The new ones are pretty though, just a bit cartoonish for me.

3. IcePhoenix35

Indigosprite11 and Lokiangel6- I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan (you could say I’m obsessed) and I think J. K. Rowling is just wonderful. When I started the series, I didn’t want anybody to tell me what happened. The ideas for the covers are great, but for somebody just starting book five, they wouldn’t want to know that happened. Same with six. The covers would give away something terrible and very intense scenes. I love the thrill of something like that happening (don’t get me wrong- Sirius is one of my favorite character), but if the cover was Sirius and the veil, I would be thinking throughout the whole book “When will it happen…when will it happen….”. This is just my personal opinion. On to the covers- I love the old ones…so calm…. the new ones are good, but a bit cartoonish. I love the sketchy look of the original covers. But it is veery sweet to make new covers for the anniversary.

1. WitchPoseidon5

I agree, the original covers are better. Not that I don’t like the new one, but the others are nicer.

4. cowshell11

I like the first one better because she made up what harry looked like but the new one looks more like Radcliffe

5. Jade Bold 23

Book four should depict Harry in the graveyard when he’s hanging on the statue or when he and Voldemort’s spells collide, and the people Voldemort killed, come out of his wand in spirit form.

6. Jade Bold 23

Book seven should have Harry and Voldemort’s last duel when Voldemort’s killing spell rebounds; obviously.

7. aileen

i find it very fun looking but the old one is better i think they should publish books with that cover but also keep the old one i am a HUGE HARRY POTTER FAN ive read all the books and seen all the movies and there FAB

8. angelbutterfly172

I like both of the covers but the new cover makes it look like a first grader could read it. and it’s not!

9. brainhiking5 : Awarded Bookworm Award

I have read the WHOLE series of Harry Potter!I’m really picky about new stuff for my favorite books, but I would have to say that Kazu Kibuishi did a fantastic job!!!! If we did a vote, I would definitely pick the new cover. And I agree with brainyathena30 :D , quote “in the second it should be Hermione as a cat ;) ”. :D
    Loving Bookworm,
    brainhiking5

10. midnightphoenix96

wowzers! that is so epic!! but i really like the old one too. HARRY POTTER IS AMAZING!! the thrill. ;)

11. Pnut10

Hey there!
    I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan and have reread the books too many times to count. I like the new covers however, I think they should stick with the old covers. The old covers are what we are all used to, it really represents the books and shows what Harry is doing, gives us a question to answer, and shows how Mary GrandPré and J. K. Rowling thought Harry should look as he grows up through the series. I have all seven in mixmatched order because I’m too cheap to buy ‘em new so I see just how loved these old books are because they were other people’s books before they were mine. I definatly think something should be done for the 15 year anniversary but I don’t think it should be to change the book covers. Thanks for listening to my nerd rant!
    -Pnut10
    Proud Slytherin or Ravenclaw (haven’t quite decided :D )

12. Kat

I like the new HPots cover(that’s what my Language Arts teacher called it, yes… I know) … The new one is more interesting, vibrant and eye catching, but the artist did have the advantage of seeing the movie.

13. GorrilaPolorBear757

good one basketballdolphin93 i agree! he had an advantage. the original author did amazing without seeing the movies!

14. basketballdolphin93

I think the new covers should be of:
    1. Harry with the sorcerer’s stone in his hand
    2.harry /w/ dead basilisk and conscious Ginny
    3.the lake /w/ harry sirius and the
    dementors
    4.Voldemort rising out of the cauldron being re-born
    5.voldemort possessing harry
    6.retreiving te fake horcrux
    7.????? (i didn’t finish it)

15. darkblue300

Here’s what I think for covers
    Book 2:Ginny comes downstairs and sees Harry
    Book 3:Harry blowing up Aunt Marge
    Book 4:Harry rescuing Ron and Gabrielle Delacour.
    Book 5:Harry at his trial
    Book 7:The Potters and Weasleys sending Rose and Albus off for their first year at Hogwarts.

16. Brook

The new cover looks so cool! the way that it seems to capture the suspense and the mood of the setting is so awesome!
    My Opinions on the other pictures
    book #2- Harry and Ron sitting next to a peetrified Hermione
    #3- A couple of dementors floating by Honeydukes with Harry holding his invisibility cloak
    #4- the four champions underwater with all of the hostages and the merfolk all around them
    #5- Professor Umbridge giving her boring speech and half of the great hall zoning out
    #6- Kreacher having a fit at number four privet drive and Petunia grimacing in the background
    #7- The trio falling out of the gringotts cart and Hermoine using the cushion charm

17. moonypadfootandprongs

I really love the new cover! The old one didn’t really give the book justice and the boy looked nothing like Harry. For the second book it should be when Harry and Ron are flying over London. The third book should have the marauders running around the school grounds. The fourth book should be when Harry fights the dragon. The fifth book should definitely be when everyone in Dumbledore’s army accomplishes their patronuses. The sixth book should be when Ron drinks the love potion. The seventh book should be when they fly out of Gringotts on a dragon.

18. maddie228906

I love the new cover for the first book. I immediately knew what it was. I would say that for the next books, it should involve more characters in big sequences.

19. Swimmer1127

The new cover looks cool,and actually looks like the actor who played Harry. I still like the original better though.

20. wonderfullywanderingalone

I really fancy both book covers. Harry Potter was my childhood, and when these new books come out, I hope to buy them to relive the adventures.

21. Zoe

Okay
    2. Harry in the Chamber of Secrets
    3. Harry’s patronum
    4. Harry in the maze
    5. Battling at the Ministry Of Magic
    6. Battling at the tower thing.
    7. Battling at Hogwarts.

22. Lilacquill98

I am a huge Harry Potyer fan and while the new covers are really brautiful and nice they’re just not Harry Potter. The old ones are better. & I agree with Lokiangel6 on #2-4 but if you put the scences from #5-7 on the cover I think it would totally ruin the book.

23. Emma

I don’t really like the new covers as much as the old ones. Actually, jj, “duley”s name is actually Dudley!

24. purplewizard50

@ Lokiange6.
    Those are spoilers! I don’t think they would seem right on the front cover. Anyone agree? This is what I think:
    2. Harry and Draco dueling in Lockhart’s duel club.
    3. Hermione, Harry and Ron in the train when the dementor comes.
    4. The goblet and names flying out of it and Dumbledore and Harry standing next to it.
    5. Luna, Neville, Ron, Hermione, Harry and Ginny and Harry holding the crystal ball.
    6. Harry holding The Half Blood Prince’s Book next to Dumbledore and Felix Felexis in his hand.
    7. Harry holding the Snitch and The Ressurection Stone, Ron next to him, and Hermione holding her wand.

25. Pakman 14

Well, for the people who liked the original cover better, you’ve better get the original covers before they are gone.

26. BookAmber28

P.S. The new one is cool, but the old one IS Harry! P.P.S. Think! Harry= Awe-bor-ld!
    Meaning: He is awesome,boring, AND old!
    See, That’s what You’re saying when you like the new one! but when you like the old one, Harry= Awe-co-ic! Meaning: Awesome,cool,AND epic!! Catch my drift?

27. BookAmber28

I’m reading all the books in the Harry Potter book series. I’ve only read the first 5. I guess I like it. But I’m not sure. Plus, I’m reading them one after another. So. Yeah.

28. bookworm6

I personally think it’s nice,but doesn’t it give a lot of clues to him for people who’ve never read it. It’s just very unnatural for Harry fans. I love Harry Potter and if J.K Rowling agrees with it I say that it’s up to her and will keep my mouth shut. I’m just voicing my opinion on the new cover.

29. Liliana

I <3 Harry Potter. I read the whole series and it was really fantastic. I love the new cover for the first book. I love the new illustrator’s graphic!

30. Katie

i<3 EVERYTHING in H.P!Liiiikeeee thegoblet of fire BUT it was so sad when dumbledore died.WAAAA!!!:( D:

31. tigerlover101

I LOVE HARRY POTTER!!! Those covers are really good and more realistic…if Harry Potter can be realistic… :P

32. lily

I<3 HP! That cover looks cool. The original cover “Harry” doesn’t look like him at all!
    ; ) ****************************************
    (P.S. I love computer stars!***)

33. bluecat1778

Those covers are sooooooo cool! :) I love Harry Potter. I have everything to do with him. If you like Harry Potter, check out Pottermore

34. Indigosprite11

I agree with Lokiangel6! i think all of her predictions would be the exact same as mine! To save time I’m going to copy and paste them here.
    2.Should be when Harry battling the Balisik
    3.Should be when Harry drove all the dementors away
    4.When Harry name gets called out
    5.When Sirius fall through the veil
    6.When the dark mark is in the sky and Dumbledore falling
    7.When Harry and Voldemort fight.
    Those were totally the most clear and memorible moments of the books! Oh yeah.
    Good thinking for new covers! All the other ones show him with a different material in beige, green, and blue backrounds! :P
    LOVE the new first cover! And also, yes, Lokiangel6, that color blue is spectacular!
    See you peeps later!
    Bye!

35. Lokiangel6

I love the covers!
    For 2.Should be when Harry battling the Balisik
    3.Should be when Harry drove all the dementors away
    4.When Harry name gets called out
    5.When Sirius fall through the veil
    6.When the dark mark is in the sky and Dumbledore falling
    7.When Harry and Voldermort fight.
    Anyway I love the color!

36. BubblyBookworm

I have to say, I prefer the covers on the editions published by Bloomsbury to the ones pictured above. However, the ones above are really cool too! :)

37. Athenajade85

I love Harry Potter it is awesome. I like both covers they are really cool. But if I had to choose one cover it would probably be the new one. :]