February 13, 2013

New Harry Potter Covers?!!

Posted by at 5:07 pm in Harry Potter, Reads, Sneak Peek | Permalink

SneakPeekNew Harry Potter Covers

UPDATE: The 15th Anniversary is here! See the new covers for Book #2, Books #3-5, Book #6, and Book #7!

To celebrate the 15th anniversary of the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling, Scholastic has unveiled the first of 7 all-new book covers illustrated by Amulet artist Kazu Kibuishi.

Kibuishi is a longtime Harry Potter fan who called this opportunity, “more than a little surreal. The Harry Potter covers by Mary GrandPré are so fantastic and iconic,” he says. “When I was asked to submit samples, I initially hesitated because I didn’t want to see them reinterpreted! . . . As an author myself, I tried to answer the question, ‘If I were the author of the books – and they were like my own children – how would I want them to be seen years from now?’”

Well, here is the answer to that question for Book #1: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.

HP1covers

All 7 new covers will appear on U.S. paperback editions coming in September 2013 and will depict a “distinctive and memorable moment” from each book. This one obviously depicts Harry Potter’s first visit to Diagon Alley with Hagrid.

We are curious to hear what you think should appear on the covers of Books #2-7. Leave your most distinctive and memorable moments from each book in the Comments. And tell us what you think of the new cover for Book #1! Personally, after my first reaction (which was a loud gasp!) I can now say that I LOVE it!!

Cover art by Mary GrandPré c 1998, and Kazu Kibuishi c 2013

1. lily

I<3 HP! That cover looks cool. The original cover “Harry” doesn’t look like him at all!
    ; ) ****************************************
    (P.S. I love computer stars!***)

2. bluecat1778

Those covers are sooooooo cool! :) I love Harry Potter. I have everything to do with him. If you like Harry Potter, check out Pottermore

3. Indigosprite11

I agree with Lokiangel6! i think all of her predictions would be the exact same as mine! To save time I’m going to copy and paste them here.
    2.Should be when Harry battling the Balisik
    3.Should be when Harry drove all the dementors away
    4.When Harry name gets called out
    5.When Sirius fall through the veil
    6.When the dark mark is in the sky and Dumbledore falling
    7.When Harry and Voldemort fight.
    Those were totally the most clear and memorible moments of the books! Oh yeah.
    Good thinking for new covers! All the other ones show him with a different material in beige, green, and blue backrounds! :P
    LOVE the new first cover! And also, yes, Lokiangel6, that color blue is spectacular!
    See you peeps later!
    Bye!

4. Lokiangel6

I love the covers!
    For 2.Should be when Harry battling the Balisik
    3.Should be when Harry drove all the dementors away
    4.When Harry name gets called out
    5.When Sirius fall through the veil
    6.When the dark mark is in the sky and Dumbledore falling
    7.When Harry and Voldermort fight.
    Anyway I love the color!

5. BubblyBookworm

I have to say, I prefer the covers on the editions published by Bloomsbury to the ones pictured above. However, the ones above are really cool too! :)

6. Athenajade85

I love Harry Potter it is awesome. I like both covers they are really cool. But if I had to choose one cover it would probably be the new one. :]