I don't like to be mean, but the naked mole rat is quite possibly the ugliest animal I have ever seen. But looks aren't everything. These guys may not be pretty, but they do amazing things, like they can move their teeth back and forth like chopsticks! And. . . uhh. . . they eat their own poop to get extra nutrients into their diets. Two meals for the price of one! (I'm pretty sure it doesn’t work for humans, so do not try that at home, boys and girls.) Do take this quiz to find out more about the naked mole rat.
- The naked mole rat is not a mole or a rat, but is most closely related to which species?
A) Porcupine B) Rabbit C) Elephant D) Walrus
- They are naked because . . .
A) They can’t find clothes that fit them. B) They live underground so they don’t need hair to protect them from the sun. C) They lick off all their hair. D) They like the hairless look.
- Naked mole rats live in tunnels attaching different rooms. Which of the following is NOT a part of the naked mole rat tunnel complex?
A) Toilet room B) Game room C) Nursery D) Pantry
- One female in the colony is the queen naked mole rat. How do the other naked mole rats show respect to their queen?
A) They perform a ritual dance. B) They bring her food all day long. C) They gnash their teeth at her. D) They bow and curtsey to Her Royal Highness.
- How does a female naked mole rat get to be queen?
A) It is an inherited position. The queen’s daughter automatically becomes the next queen. B) Whoever has the biggest teeth gets to be queen. C) She has to fight other females to the death. D) The king naked mole rat chooses the most beautiful lady mole rat for his queen.
- Not only do naked mole rats eat their poop, they also roll around in it. Why?
A) To annoy their parents. B) To keep cool. C) So they all smell the same. D) It makes a comfy bed.
Leave your answers in the Comments and click here for the answers.
— Sonja, STACKS Staffer
Facts and image courtesy of San Diego Zoo