January 14, 2013

You Know You’re a Harry Potter Fan When

Posted by at 12:34 am in Harry Potter, Writing Prompt | Permalink

HarrypotterthumbWriting Prompt: You know you’re a Harry Potter fan when. . .

We know who we are. Some people might call us obsessed. Some people might call us crazy. But when it comes to Harry Potter, there’s nothing wrong with that!! How do you recognize other Potterheads? What are the signs of a TRUE Harry Potter fan?

Here are just a few symptoms of Harry Potter obsession. . .

• You know what house you’re in and you have a scarf with your house colors on it. (You’ve taken the sorting hat quizzes a million different times!)
  • You’ve tried every flavor of Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans. Even earwax and vomit.
  • You were a wizard for Halloween. 5 years in a row.
  • When you check the mail, you look around for owls, desperately hoping for your Hogwarts letter.
  • You started a Dumbledore’s Army club at your school to fight real-world problems.
  • You stand up and shout at the movie screen, “That’s not what happened in the book!”
  • You’ve lost track of how many times you have read each book, but you know it’s more than 10.
  • You are seriously thinking about naming your future son Albus Severus.
  • You have a birthday party for Harry every year on July 31.
  • You screamed very loudly when you heard that J.K. Rowling might write another children’s book.

Now it’s YOUR turn to complete this sentence in the Comments. You know you’re a Harry Potter fan when . . .

—Ratha, Stacks Writer
Illustration by Mary GrandPre

1. bearcity32

You know you’re a Harry potter fan when you can memorize a paragraph of one of the books, know all the spells, re read the books on a daily basis, and wish Hogwarts and Quidditch were real.

2. PegasusPheonix

I know I’m a Harry Potter Fan when………
    -You read every book nonstop
    -Your screen saver is some of the Harry Potter Characters
    -You find a big stick and pretend it’s a wand by casting spells from the books with it
    -You know that there are only 7 books, not 8
    -You are willing to spend $500 for the wands used in the movie
    -You only do things related to Harry Potter (play HP games, Look up pics of him, find out the names of the actors,etc.)
    -You realized that Daniel Radcliffe’s eyes are not the right color for Harry Potter as described in the book
    -They did not use the right color dress on Emma Watson/Hermione in the 4th movie at the Yule Ball
    -You realize that you are obsessed with Harry Potter because you’re giving a lot of reasons and you can go on forever.

3. catgymnastics173

You know you’re a Harry Potter fan when……
    ……You find wizard candy in Muggle stores and you desperately want them.
    ……When you can’t decide if the movies or books are better.
    ……When you were Harry Potter for Halloween.
    ……When you believe you are not a Muggle.
    ……If you went to a Harry Potter summer camp.
    ……When you are trying to spend every second reading a book or watching the movie.
    ……If you have a wand you made yourself and you try to do spells.
    ……If you make it look like in a picture that you have done Wingardium Leviosa and you show your friends.
    ……If you have been or you desperately want to go to Harry Potter land.
    ……If you wish to actually be in the Harry Potter series!
    I hope you like some of these, this took thought of how much I have seen!

4. wittywizard18

You know you’re a Harry Potter Fan when…
    … you start crying when anyone good dies
    … you start dancing when bellatrix dies
    … you know the first chapter of The Sorcerers Stone by heart
    … you quote the books at least five times daily

5. Indigoangel52

You know you’re a Harry Potter fan when every little thing in your everyday life reminds you of the magical world you love.

6. Anonymous

Some of what I do…..
    *You sometimes get emotional and scream “I want to go to Hogwarts!!!”
    *You have dreams about using wands
    *You seriously try HARD to do magic
    *Half your sketch books only have Harry Potter characters in them
    *At night after you read, you check you closet for Voldemort
    *The only things on you wish list have to do with Harry Potter

7. Camelotgirl

… when you say “Accio ____” whenever you can’t find something.
    … when you name your dog Sirius, cat Crookshanks, and fancy rat Scabbers or Peter.
    … when you wear a tee shirt with your house on it.
    … when you have a copy of each of the main character’s wands. (Harry, Ron, Hermionie)
    … when you get upset whenever the movies drop one small scene.
    … when you have dreams about your little brother turning into a pig.
    … when you can’t read “Abaracadabara”. You read “Adava Kedavra” instead.
    … when you think of dragons every time you hear “Norbert”.
    … when you have learned how to play all the movie music by ear.
    … when you keep piling on weird Harry Potter related quirks onto a “You know you’re a fan when…” blog entry.
    And there’s much, much more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. wittywizard18

um, please friend me. we live in the same world. I was going to post that but couldnt find the words

8. K

Your a Harry potter fan when you own every book
    And every movie when a stick is a wand when you tell yourself I’m a wizard. When you play a game with wizards in it! (I do these all the time) you have posters all over your room you tell your parents their muggles
    You wish you have a Harry potter room you have all the characters wands (except the dark wizards) and some chocolate frog cards and you want to name your pet after a Harry potter character

9. angelbutterfly172

you know that ur an hp fan whe
    - uve read the ‘ the tales of beedle the bard’ ;) (a book of wizard fairytales)

10. Aeon

…you make toast carvings of all of the characters, crumble the death eaters into teeny tiney bits, seal all of the others in acrylic, and hang the sealed ones up on your living room wall.
    …you ask “Rowling?” every time someone says “JK”.
    …you have memorized every single line from all eight movies and can recite them in perfect sync with the characters from the film without help.
    …you have drawn, re-drawn, re-re-drawn, re-re-re-drawn, re-re-re-re-drawn, et cetera every character in manga style, each time noticing that there is a slight mi-shading of the drawings and not keeping those ones.
    …the lights go out and you finally find your wand and sream out “lumos!”(screaming because your your cat,Crookshanks, just pounced on your foot).
    …you daydream about marrying one of the characters (for me, that’s Neville<3).
    …you think you see Lucius Malfoy outside your bedroom window on a broom watching you. and it is just a monarch butterfly.
    …you have a shrine dedicated to each and every one of the characters.
    …you have gone as Luna Lovegood for the past 8 years. Wand, tie, Spectrospects, and all.
    …you have waited 4 years for your letter.
    …you know all of the sorting hat's lines from all of the books.
    …you know all of the house's password codes and have even invented a few yourself. For each of the houses. Even difficult riddles for Ravenclaw( example: What goes through the trees, cries without words, and ripples over the grass? the wind).
    …you say "You don't look at all like him" when people say "I'm serious", thinking that they are saying that they are SIRIUS.
    …you can recite all of Neville Longbottom's lines from both the books and the movies.

11. Hans

When you always have a lightning bolt tattoo on your head hoping that a wizard will come and mistake you for Harry Potter and take you away because they’ve mistaken you for Harry Potter

12. Boredamber15

Yeah I Scream At The Movie Screen … I Have All 7 Books I Have posters Of All The Harry potter caracters I Guess Im A Fan.. P.S. I Have 16 Games That I Play on The Computer They Are ONLY Harry Potter Websites O.o ♥Harry potter seris♥

13. redapple239

I have a secret………. I want to merry harry…. don’t tell my boyfriend:) JK! hehe I’m funny!!!!! :D ;D….. harry RULES……. I’M TOTALY IN LOVE WITH THE MOVIES……. but NOT the books

14. redapple239

Im with you, won’t tell you….. he is sooooo cute!!!! I <3 harry!!!!!:D u r cool, wont tell you!!!!!

15. BookAmber28

4:When you know everything about Voldermort and Harry.5: HP and GW 4ever!!6:Think Dumbledore is AWESOME!!!7:

16. BookAmber28

A potterhead is…
    1: You know eveything about Voldermort or Harry. 2:Harry and Ginny would sooooo make a cute couple!3:You know a few spells.[ EX:Patronus]4:You think Ron is SUPER funny!![No joke!]5:You know what ‘HORCRUXES’are. [scary!] 6:Hermione is sooo smart![Maybe.]

17. bubblyblue66

I was a witch for Halloween.
    I am in Ravenclaw house.
    I tried Bertie Bott’s Every Flavour Beans.
    I had a Harry Potter themed birthday party.
    I am waiting to get into Hogwarts.
    I have read each book more than ten times and am reading one right now.

18. BookAmber28

1:When You know a few of the house codes.[ EX: Fortuna Major. From the third book.]2:When you know a few spells.[EX: Patronus.] 3: When you SOOOOO think Ron and Hermione would make a CUTE couple!!!!

19. BookAmber28

GUYS! I’m a POTTERHEAD!!! SERIOUSLY!!! In fact, Once, I was watching “ Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone“ And the whole time I kept yelling “ That didn’t happen in the book!!!“ .

20. demyx

1. When you say/read/see the word obviously you think of Snape and read it in Snape’s voice
    2. “OMG are you Serious?” “No, I’m actually (insert name here)
    3. Pottermore
    4. Know the actors
    5. watch funny vids like Potter Puppet Pals or A very Potter musical
    6. Draw dark marks on your arms and say “Morsmordre” when it dark.
    7. Play Quidditch
    8. FANFICTION GALORE!
    9. “Are you Team Edward or Team Jacob?” You say: ” Team Harry!”
    10. Constantly check for new book announcements.
    I’ll stop here! hehe

21. darkblue300

You know your a harry potter fan when………
    .You know all of your favorite charecters lines
    .You consider naming your children after the charecters
    .You create a second generation book
    .You buy a harry potter spell book and memorize all the spells
    .You have dreams about marrying harry or ron

22. korkie

You know when your a HARRY POTTER fan when:
    *you read the whole book and you memorize it the first time
    *your mom goes to England and she goes to the harry potter castle and took pictures just for you
    *When you write”HAPPY B-DAY HARRY POTTER” on your calender in your room
    * you and your friends discuss how wrong the movie was compared to the book and yell ay the t.v. or movie theater screen
    *you daydream about the characters, movie, book, etc.
    *you tell people that they should grow a beard like Dumbledore
    *you try to teach your sister how to say the spells right
    *you cry ever time you read or watch the part when Sirius,Dumbledore and Fred dies
    *it is dark in a room and you want a light you yell lumous and every one stares at you.
    *you have a harry potter shirt that tells what house you are in
    *you know what a muggle is
    *you ask your parents what is butterbeer made of and what does it taste like(specially when your aunt lives in England)
    *you were eleven and waiting for an owl to give you a letter telling you that you are going to Hogwarts!
    i think i said everything i can think about right now!

23. justine

I am such a HP fan!!! omg when I was 7 I read the books and the movies and hated it when they did stuff in the movie that wasn’t in the book….like in that scene when Snape threw himself against Harry Ron and Heromine to protect them from this weird lookin’ trollish thing..omg omg omg I actually dress up my little brothers and sister to be like harry ron and heromine lol then we play hogwarts…I’m all o’ the teachers cuz’ I got a judges robe offline!!! ^.^

24. dawncloud11

you know your too big of a hp fan when:
    -you know the books better than J.K.Rowling
    -you know the movies better than WB
    -you move to USAjust to buy harry potter stuff
    hope you enjoyed. :)

25. harry potter adict

…you spout mistakes in other books that mention harry potter
    …you now own 12 wands
    …you have 4 quills
    …you’ve won more than 200 harry potter competitions
    hey, i fit all of these descriptions!!!

1. Aeon

No, she should continue by writing about their children, because it is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

26. dancingfire8

Forgot to add:
    ♥ When you beg your parents every day to take you to the Harry Potter Wizarding World at Universal Studio’s(not the real Wirdard World, unfortunately) and even offer to pay for it even though it would use up all of your college fund.

27. dancingfire8

You know your a true Harry Potter fan when………..
    ♥ You’ve read every book and have watched every movie in the series numerous times:)
    ♥You know what house you are in(Hufflepuff!!)
    ♥ You pretend that you are a wizard and have your little sister convinced that you actually are one.
    ♥ You tell all of your friends to call you Ginny.
    ♥Every conversation you have has to do with Harry Potter(or is related).
    Yeah. That’s about all I can think of for now:)

28. IsisPegasus6

OMG!!!!!!!
    Well u can tell when you are a HP fan when…..
    -you have read the books over 10 times(my friend is obsessed by that. Oh Faith)
    - you yell at the tv or whatever you are watching the movie on when something happens in the movies that did not happen

29. EnergeticFairy13

I’m SO a Potterhead! So is my friend! For other Potterhead’s out there, GO TO UNIVERSAL STUDIOS! The Harry Potter castle (or Hogwarts, DUH!) is the BEST! Hint- Get into Hogwarts as soon as you can because there is a ride in there which is the best ride you will ever ride. And if you want a wand, make sure to hurry to Ollivanders so you don’t have to wait for 1 hour. And, of course, get a drink of Butterbeer! Hope this helps for your future trip!

30. harrypotterisbeast

…when you decide to find the real Hogwarts.
    …when you use chopsticks as wands and noodles as jets of magic.
    …when you mutter spells.
    …when you memorize all the spells ever mentioned.
    …when you know just by watching the movie that THAT’S SOOOOO NOT WHAT HAPPENED IN THE BOOK!!! (I get so angry when they do that!)
    Eh, that’s all I can think of for now…
    - harrypotterisbeast

31. me (brainyathena :P)

OMG VOLDY IS A VAMPIRE :( :( :(
    anyways….you know you’re a HP fan when you are in a black out (like I was last night T_T) and you keep taking your fake wand and yelling ‘LUMOS!’ (I just resolved to turning on my laptop and watching a show on it :P )

32. Name Withheld By Request

…When you’re writing a Harry Potter fanfic and you have decided to make your main character’s sister a rabid Kenmare Kestrels fan.
    …When you have decided, length and all, what your wand would be and are seriously disappointed that you didn’t get it on Pottermore.

33. dreamtimeunicorn17

I scream saying ……. NO! …….NO NO NO DO NOT DIE ON ME HARRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What should i do!!!!!!!!!!! Help me I`m going crazy over Harry!

34. beecat202

i am beecat202 send me a frend request :) plz haha i am sad my bff is leaveing :( i am at school 3erd grad 10 yyahayahaya omg this is all i can say what sude i say??? man thsi thing is loooooonggg omggggggg hahahahahahaha:):):):):) bybybybybybybybybyb send me a frend request

35. Haley

You own every dvd, every book in hardback and paperback, you have the set of books in hardback and paperback, and even though you have the dvd’s in advance, you still go to the movies anyway… This isn’t me, just my friend.

36. redapple239

i know all the parts of harry potter! I only liked the movies! The books were zzzzzzzzz fest…… if you are with me friend me! :D

37. shareeda

im a movie fan i dont read books unless i have to in school.
    p.s.book fan in class dont ask me to read ask the book fan

38. azurecalm16

im a harry potter MOVIE fan. no books,just movies for me.P.S.there is this cutish boy in my class who has alot of hp fan symptoms!!

39. Hpfan1

When you can’t stop thinking bout it or u keep on reading the books or watching the movies or both over and over and over again! Like me! ;)

40. Melanie

You finish 5 books in 6 days- plus schoolwork and eating
    You check out the books in your library.
    You try to do magic at home
    You consider Albus Dumbledore your role model
    You think “Potter” when someone says “Harry”
    You’ve taken the House Quiz at least three times
    You have 3 ships you stick to strongly

41. Emily

I love Harry potter! I have read the first one 16 times the second 13 third 12 times fourth one 15 and 5th 19 times! Plus the sixth one 18 and last one 24 times

42. Mysterygirl123

You know your a huge HP fan when~
    •You know which house you in
    •I’ve considered naming my child Luna
    •I get all fangirl when I hear that J.K.R may write another book
    •Still waiting for a letter… *sigh*
    • Wizard for…2 years in a row.
    • Went to Wizarding World of HP
    •Made HP references with out even noticing
    •You have a huge poster book…
    in multi-languages.
    • Tried Berte Bott’s
    •Went to an expedition…AND TRIED ON THE ACTUAL SORTING HAT. (True story~)
    •Made anime versions of the characters…multiple times.
    •Have gotten your little sister into the fandom :3