When I was growing up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, there was one thing our Sundays revolved around: Steelers football. We'd go to an early church service, make sure the grocery shopping was done, and all our homework was completed. This left the rest of the day for our most important task on Sundays: rooting for the Steelers.
Not much has changed with my family in Pittsburgh, and I'll admit — I still drop whatever I'm doing to catch the game (sorry Jets and Giants!) just like many of you guys all across the country. Whether you're a college ball fan, or NFL afficionado, you know it's football season when . . .
- Putting on your makeup means painting your face in team colors.
- You think the lunchroom should have stadium seating.
- You never leave home without shoulder pads.
- When you get a raise in your allowance, you try to body slam your parents and slap them on their butts.
- You break down play-by-play of a bug crawling across the floor.
- You don't feel silly wearing a big block of cheese on your head (Green Bay fans!).
- You ask your parents if you can tailgate before you do your homework.
- You feel the sudden urge to throw your mother's favorite vase across the room for a touchdown.
- When your teacher is done giving your class a classwork assignment, you yell, "Hut 1! Hut 2! Hike!"
- You don't even THINK about doing anything else when the big game is on.
Do you guys go crazy for football season? What are the telltale signs for you that it's football season? Tell us in the Comments below. Until the next game day!
— Ratha, Stacks Writer