August 10, 2012

Zach Gordon Interview

ZGordon-1You know him as Greg Heffley in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid movies. I met him when he came to Scholastic for a Live Chat a couple of years ago before the 1st Wimpy Kid movie came out. He was hilarious and adorable in real life, much more than Greg would be. We now have a new interview with him after his 3rd Wimpy Kid movie. Read on for Zach’s current reflections on his life as an actor, his favorite books, and his hopes for the future.

Q: What have you learned about yourself from being an actor?
Zach: Being an actor has made me realize that I can overcome anything, whether it’s acting, school or any other challenge. When I put my mind to anything, I can accomplish so much. When I act, I become another character and I bring ideas and qualities to the character that I imagine and create. You have to let your imagination go when you act and become the character, and that’s the fun of it.

Q: What advice do you have for kids interested in being professional actors?
Zach: Have fun and don’t take it too seriously. There is a lot of rejection in the acting business and you can’t get too emotional or worked up after every audition. Just move on to the next one and eventually all your hard work will pay off. Acting isn’t for everyone, and it’s a lot of hard work. You give up a great deal as a child actor; but for me, the rewards are worth the sacrifice.

Q: What is an unusual talent that most people don’t know that you have?
Zach: I love to write, and I’m planning to write screenplays in the future.

Q: What is your favorite song right now?
Zach: ”Stereo Hearts” by Adam Levine and Gym Class Heroes.

Q: What was your most embarrassing moment? Diary-of-a-wimpy-kid-WK-402_rgb
Zach: My family and I were seeing Diary of a Wimpy Kid at a local theatre. When the movie ended, my dad began cheering like crazy and announced to everyone in the theater that I was Greg. One guy even looked back at the screen, and then looked at me and said, “Nah, really????”

Q: How do your friends react to your stardom?
Zach: What’s great about most of my friends is that they treat me as if I am just a regular kid. I’ve had most of the same friends since preschool and they don’t pay much attention to my acting. We just hang out like everyone else.

Q: Do you have any pets?
Zach: My chocolate lab Bosco is the coolest dog you’ll ever meet. He’s crazy, hyper, and awesome. Everything he does is funny. When I let him outside to do his business, he grabs on to my leg with his paws because he’s afraid to go out alone. He’s a keeper though.

Q: What is the best book you ever read?
Zach: (clearing throat) Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Also Call of the Wild, The Giver, A Series of Unfortunate Events series, and the Harry Potter series.

Q: Food you could not live without?
Zach: Could ANYONE live without ice cream? If I could invent a new flavor of ice cream it would be Everlasting Vanilla. It never melts and tastes creamier and richer than regular vanilla.

Q: A perfect day would include?
Zach: Sleeping in and playing video games!

Q: What is one thing you wish everyone would do to make the world a better place?
Zach: Stay POSITIVE.

Q: What other book character would you like to play in a movie?
Zach: Harry Potter. Hey, you never know. REMAKE!

Ooh, I don’t think anyone could ever replace Daniel Radcliffe as Harry, but Zach Gordon is still awesome! Leave a Comment to tell us what you think.

Images courtesy of 20th Century Fox

1. catgymnastics173

DANIEL RADCLIFFE IS OFFICIALLY AWESOME!!!! NO ONE COULD BEAT THE BEST ACTOR EVER, THE ONE WHO PLAYS HARRY POTTER!!!!

2. angelica

I LOVE THE SERIES OF THE DIARY OF A WIMPY KID BOOKS.AS ZACH GORDAN INTERVIEW STATES HE LOVE THE THE SERIES BUT NOT AS MUCH AS I LOVE IT.

3. superman44

Love all of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books and movies Zach Gordon is by far the best actor for Greg Heffley!

4. Lauren

I cant wait tot get that book! its very exciting I cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. jawfog9

Diary of a wimpy kid is so funny! I have the movie diary,the do it yourself book, And am going to get book 7! can’t wait till November 13

6. celebratingpolarbear7

I love diary of a wimpy kid i have all 6 books and getting the 7th.P.S. I have both movies and getting the 3rd.

7. puppy eyes

O.M.G, I have read Diary of a Wimpy Kid the first one,Rodrick Rules,dog days, and Cabin Fever and I really want to read The Third Wheel.I wounder what happens?

8. wishuwerhere

aaarrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhggh!!
    why wont anyone post anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. wishuwerhere23

i can’t wait til the i think
    …. the 7th one comes out.
    it’s called the third wheel.
    so if anyone says they have
    read them all. they probably haven’t.
    no offence.

10. Shania

i also love the books i have 8 of them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. happyheart54

ilove the diary of wimpy kid books but i like the movies better i cant wait till dog days comes out and the new book the third wheel

12. shaunna

i love your book.i have the wimpykid movie diary. i have the ugly truth also cabin fever i love you you are so cute and alsoe

13. Cailynn

can`t to see Dog Days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Cailynn

the movies and the books were great and Zach Gordon you did a great job in the movies :]
    mood:happy because their is a new Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Emmanuel

I love ALL the Diary of a wimpy books and the movies. Don’t cut the book parts from the movie. I’ve watched all the movies expect for dog days . It’s a mix of last straw and dog days.

16. angeldusk38

the movie anh its alright nothing to cheer about. but the books are great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Brady

I LOVE the dear of a wimpy kid movies more than the books. But Zach Gordan is really funny and girls like him.{ I am a BOY }

18. Anna

Read up to book 3 and watched only the first movie, but I love both film and books: Zach Gordon really is an awesome actor, and sounds like a very fun person, too!

19. lavendercheerful61

Zach your acting feels like I can do anything your acting is really inspiering.I have not seen dog days yet but I hope it’s as good as your other ones. Your really cool Zach and I hope you keep up your wimpy kid movies.I like Harry Potter too!

20. Laila

I have all six of the books. I was wondering if you could post a blog for me. It’s called back to school school worries. It will allow people to share their worries about going back to school. I think it would fit perfectly into this website.

21. magentapeaceful7

i love the books have all of them i am just waiting for the new one the third wheel it comes out in november

22. volleyballfashion24

i loved the movies and the books were good too, but the movies are more fun to watch and you can actually see the characters do what they do in the books

23. ablemoonlight2

i just love diary of wimpy kid movies so i just cant wait to see dog days cant wait till what greg little brother going to do this time

24. cookingbasketball23

I like the diary of a wimpy kid books and movies. I love the second movie and the book because rodrick and greg try to get along for mom bucks.

25. DragonFrost38

I have Read all of the books, seen all of the movies,and have done every activity in the do it yourself books.

26. stormflying4

I Love the Diary of A Wimpy Kid series!I Have all of the books and seen the movies! I can’t wait to see the new one! And one more thing:Zach Gordon if your hearing this I just want to say that your my favorite charater.And I think your awesome.I wish I your friend.

27. Chattychicken88

i have read all the books and seen all the movies so far and i think the movies are much better then the books. the books are funnier though!

28. softballhamster6

I love the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books! They are so funny. Even as I am getting older, I still really enjoy all of the great books and amazing movies!

29. BEEBLACK705

I LOVE THESE BOOKS THERE SO CREATIVE AND I HAVE READ THE WHOLE ENTIRE SERIES …AND THEY WERE REALLY GOOD !!!!

30. purplehistory8

I love the wipy kids books they are so funny and very intersting books to.Good luck with the new moive.

31. bluedolphin2092

I love the icecream idea. My favorite song is pary rockers! My favorite Wimpy Kid movie is The Ugly Truth. Personaly the movies are better. Great job Zach!!!!

32. aquacat586

NO ONE can replace Daniel Radcliffe. I feel that they have made the Harry Potter movies so wonderful already that they couldn’t be better. :)

1. Bubblyred7

Yeah, it’s so cool how they do the magic and stuff. It’s hard to imagine Zach replacing Dan.

33. smartprincess1

True, no one can beat Dan :) Harry Potter RULES! I can’t wait to see Dog Days in theaters… I’m going to see it this week!

34. purplekey6

I didn’t find the book so interesting but the movies were great and i cant wait to see the movie DOG DAYS…….KEEP UP THE GOOD EFFORT…

35. platinumjetsetter3

Well the book is great and so was the first and second movie.I hope the next one is great because the previews dont seem really seem exciting or wowzing enough for the movie to be seen by lots of people!!!!!!!! sorry(my opinion).

36. MadBrownie7

The series was good, but if you dislike the movie I don’t think it’s the book’s fault.
    If you plan on seeing the movies I recommend reading the books first.

37. jadeart112

I luv diary of a wimpy kid books! And Zack Gordon is hilarious! I have all the books and also i watched the movies to! Cant wait for the new book to come out!!
    Mood:excited!!

38. jadeart112

I like diary of a wimpy kid books i have all of them! Zack Gordon is so hilarious. I hope theirs another diary of a wimpy kid book. Cant wait! P.S i watched the movie to!
    Mood: excited!!!

39. CATDOG1004

Diary of a wimpy kid was a good book. Even though they left out some details, i liked the movie better. But, that’s just me and I congratulate Zach Gordon for his AMAZING performance in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie!

40. pinkaqua201

I LUV DIARY OF A WIMPY KID IT IS THE BEST BOOK AND MOVIE EVER I HAVE ALL THE BOOKS AND ONLY SEEN THE FIRST MOVIE IM GOING TO SEE THE THIRD ON SOON

41. Witchunicorn5

i looove the book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    but they shouldn’t make it a bad movie cause they cant do it well enough and they didnt.