July 9, 2012

Writing Prompt: First Sentence

Posted by at 1:36 am in Writing Prompt | Permalink

Writing_prompt_bookWrite Your Own Mystery or Fantasy

Today's Write On Writing Prompt is a great call out to all you aspiring writers. It comes to us from Fulafuj (who has the most awesome Profile Avatar I've ever seen). Fulafuj prompts:

Write your own mystery. Or fantasy. It has to be adventurous.

Since we wouldn't have room to post an entire story, we challenge you to write the first line of your epic mystery or fantasy. There are some great first lines to stories that suck you in. Like . . .

"It was a dark and stormy night." (from A Wrinkle in Time)
Or
"Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say they were perfectly normal, thank you very much." (from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone)

Got a great first line for a mystery or fantasy story? Or if you'd rather, post a summary paragraph for your story idea! Be as creative and crazy as you like. Thanks for the great prompt, Fulafuj!

—Ratha, Stacks Writer

1. Isla Silvercresent

Once Upon a time there was a little girl who was quite beautiful and a fairy princess…then she woke up.

2. beakloud5

Here is a summary of story i just thought up in my mind! here we go:
    Mindy is the nicest girl you could imagine. One day that good girl image is shattered. Being framed for the robbing of a local store isn’t exactly a good thing. The catch is she didnt have anything to do with it. Shes been framed, but by who and why. She races time while trying to find the true culprit before she it put behind bars for good, and maybe forever.

3. Gracie

Looking back on it, I knew I never should have answered his question, never told him who i really was, never should have looked into his eyes, and never followed him into the silver mist that had intrigued me my entire life.

4. Amanda

YAY, FUN!!
    It was right there, just waiting to be found.
    Like it? Its for a story I want to write, called umm, well I haven’t thought of a name really.

5. FAIRYBOOK10

everything in my life was perfect until Karisma ruined it, stomped it down like a mad woman.

6. silverphoenix55

There’s nothing more important to life than to know what to do during a life and death situation. Unfortunately, I learned that tip a little late in life. (Doesn’t that inspire a ton of stories?!)

7. Foreverelephant♥

What I’m currently writing now begins with “The day I found my brother’s soul, it rained.” =)

8. Hannah

My name is Ashen Grey (made-up character name). The reason for my strange name is because of my eyes, which, you can guess, are ashen-grey.

9. mysterydrawing5

wow i am sure going to write a fantastic writing and thanks for giving good advicce for what to write on and about!

10. mysterydrawing5

wow i am sur going to write a fantastic fantasy drawing and thanks for giving the good advice for what to write on and about!

11. Grace

The girl went down the path of round stones, the sun seemed to be dying, but the sky’s pink quilt, seemed to be painted dark rich black until the whole world’s power switch seemed to turn off….. FOREVER.

12. moonlightdragon15

Great prompt, Fulafuj! Since I’m writing a story right now… yes, fantasy… I’ll just give my first line.
    Three dots swooped down from the sky.
    What about it? Does it suck you in? Give me your suggestions, please!!!

13. brainyathena30

“Stuffed bunnies are the most creepiest things in the world. Just staring at you,with those,big,black,eyes”-A story I want to write called,Attack of the stuffed bunnies :)