July 3, 2012

Twice Upon a Time: Beauty and the Beast

Posted by at 5:33 pm in Reads | Permalink

BeautybeastTwice Upon a Time: Beauty and the Beast, The Only One Who Didn't Run Away by Wendy Mass

If you like Wendy Mass's books, 11 Birthdays, Finally, and 13 Gifts, well, here is something a little different.

Beauty: "One of three things happens when someone hears my name for the first time. The worst is when they laugh. The second worst is when they start to laugh but quickly turn it into a cough so as not to appear rude. Lastly, if they are a halfway decent sort, they will squint at my face as though searching for some prettiness that perhaps they missed initially."

Beast: "I am about to poke the worm with my finger when BOOM! The furnace explodes with the loudest noise ever to ring through the castle, shattering most of the glass in the room and forming a furnace-shaped hole clear through the wall. Now THAT, Mother's going to notice."

So we have Beauty who isn't a beauty, and a prince-turned-beast who can't seem to do anything right. Beauty and the Beast each tell their own stories, so the audience gets a comic rendition of the classic fairy tale, and we see the times before Beauty meets the Beast.

From the very first sentence, you won't be able to put down Beauty and the Beast until you gobble up every last word! If you like your fairy tales with a twist see also the other books in the Twice Upon a Time series: Rapunzel, The One With All the Hair, and Sleeping Beauty, The One Who Took the Really Long Nap. Leave a Comment to tell us what you think!

—Elysse, STACKS Writer

1. Sunshineblue43

I really like Wendy Mass’s books! My favorite book is 13 Birthdays; it was creative because the characters birthday repeated over and over and she was able to change the outcome of her day. Based on my past readings of Wendy Mass books, I think Beauty and the Beast would be an incredibly exciting book to read!

2. Witchunicorn5

Wendy mass…look likes she’s famous.anyone read francine pascal,rick riordan,l.j.smith…?
    I’m sooo gonna read this!
    i’m a total bookaholic and read more than 50 books.this is gonna be on my list.
    thanks guys!

3. pinkhorse307

best book!
    i love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    it teachs a great lesson
    no one is perfect
    who says your not perfect who says your not worth it who says you won’t pass the test

4. jgal101

to blacktide7–I just looked up A Long, Long Sleep (ages 14 and up) and it sounds good! and I just finished reading this bk today–it’s AWESOME!! and LOL-funny at parts. and funny yin general. READ IT!!!

5. jgal101

I read the other two books in this series and loved them. I love fairytale retellings, and these are awesome!

6. catcastle60

HOW DO YOU COME UP WITH BOOKS FROM OTHER STORY OR YOUR IMAGANATION OR YOUR LIFE ALL ONE NONE OR 2 I REALLY LOVE READING I AM A FAN OF BOOKS.
    YOURS TRULEY
    ?

7. catcastle60

I like it.Its pretty good.byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.I just wrote that to take up space.I have a question for you how do you come up with somthing to put in a book arent you nerves that people wont like your book by the way I LOVE READING

8. lightningthief3

I love her books but I didn’t read Finally yet. I am going to the whole series at B&N this summer. :) :P

9. Jadeprincess3

ahh! i’m almost finnished by now. it’s so funny, i loved Riley’s reaction when he was turned into the beast.
    clasic.

10. Jadeprincess3

WOW! so funny!i just got this book from the library!
    haven’t read it yet, though, since i have to finnish 13 Gifts first, but i’m almost done!

11. blacktide7

Has anyone ever read A Long, Long Sleep (ages 14 and up)? It’s a futuristic retelling of sleeping beauty and it’s one of the best books I’ve ever read…EVER!

12. aquadragon474

I cant belive it!!!!
    I love love love love Wendy Mass books!Im reading 11 Birthdays and have finished 13 Gifts and want to get Finally and Every soul a star!!!!