July 16, 2012

Inventions by Kids Writing Prompt

Posted by at 1:07 am in Kid Power, Writing Prompt | Permalink

LightbulbWriting Prompt: Kid Powered Invention

Did you know a 15-year-old boy invented earmuffs back in 1858? Chester Greenwood needed to keep his ears warm during bitter Maine winters, and made 2 ear-shaped loops from wire, and asked his grandmother to sew fur on them. He later patented the design and made a fortune selling them to soldiers during World War I.

There's also a 6-year-old from Singapore, Peh Yong, who invented a cooling umbrella to be used in the hot weather.

And Krysta Morlan, a 10th grader with cerebral palsy, invented a device to relieve irritation while wearing a cast called the Cast Cooler.

These kids all used their hearts and their smarts, and started somewhere! If you could think of any invention to change the world, and make it a better place, what would you invent? Would your invention tackle things like pollution, hunger, poverty, world peace, or diseases? Big or small, this week’s Writing Prompt prompts YOU. Let us know your invention in the Comments below!

— Ratha, Stacks Writer

1. Carol

A digital calendar that you can hang on your wall. Easy access and will remind you if an event is coming up. You might also have a few other simple applications on it too, such as weather or email. Maybe there could also be an app that makes the screen dark as if it was a chalkboard, and you could use a electronic pen to write notes, ideas, ect.

2. Aly

I would invent a dog catcher because my dogs always run away. I could just zap them with it. Then they will come to me. So, it is basically a teleporting dog catcher.

3. Cassie

My invention would be a house that would do anything for you. and it runs on cake power. it’d only cost $15,100.

4. Cassie

i would invent the ultimate house of the century,a house that could do anything- a house with a living mind. and to keep it running all you’d need to do would be to feed it cake. and it only costs 15,100 dollars which isn’t much for and awesome house.

5. Carly

i would invent a money maker it would give high paying jobs to people in need of one. also a robot that goes around the world feeding people

6. MidnightJade

I think kids should’nt haft to do writting prompts all the time they will get tired in school if they write to much in the summer time

7. Aisha :)

if I could invent anything, I would invent a mini water purifier that didn’t cost anything and could be sent to anyone in the world and purify any water.

8. Brandon

I would invent a formula made of select chemicals to release into the air. This formula, called Atmosphorium, would restore the atmosphere destroyed by fossil fuels.
    I would also invent an engine that could run on pulp from wood (the same material to make paper). This way our new “fuel” is renewable and would never run out.

9. Minecraftman223

@MEGAN How would your food machine thing get all the food. If it would make the food the thing must be huge.

10. ankita$

i would event a time machine that can take me where ever i want to go in just a second. then you would not have a very long drive.

11. bluelion153

Iwould invent(if i had the money) a new space vehicle thatcould rapidly relase ions to form a jump drive.

12. Halle:)

I would invent a time machine that could also pause, rewind or fast-forward time
    P.S. megan, i REALLY like ur idea about the food machine, i think u should call it Megans Magical Foodinatore!

13. adventuredolphin102

If I could invent something to help our world I would invent a endangered animal ditecter that could detect any poachers or hunters trying to kill our beloved ENDANGERED ANIMALS.

14. Fairyemerald31

I would the invent the HELPER. The HELPER gives food, homes, clothes, or money to anyone who needs it. It also tells people if jobs are avalable in their area and what they are.

15. 2010musican

I would make a rechargeable non-flamable jetpack! It would be safe for kids, and when it would lose the rest of it`s power it runs on emergency power.

16. MEGAN

I would invent the giving foodinator. It would supply food 24/7 to all of the kids who don’t have anything to eat and are starving. But it can also be used for people who just wished they had a certain food but can’t find it in the grocery stores. It would give you food from anywhere in the country at any time anywhere.