Trivia: Leap Second
Trivia: Leap Second . . . & Leap of Faith!
On February 29, we posted Leap Year Trivia Quiz because 2012 is a Leap Year. Did you also know that 2012 has a Leap Second? A leap second is one second added to clocks worldwide to compensate for the slowing of Earth's rotation.
Believe it or not, there is an International Earth Rotation and Reference System Service, or IERS for short. (Wow! I wonder how I get a job with them?!) They determine when to add a leap second. Since 1972, a total of 24 seconds have been added to the clock. And the next one will be added on the last day of June. So on June 30th, 2012, there will be 86,401 seconds instead of 86,400!
In honor of cosmic leaps, we have some wacky Leap Second Trivia for you. Imagine if there were other things you could leap. For instance . . .
- Leap Class! What class would you create, if you had to have an extra class in the school day?
- Leap Grade! Which school grade would you choose to repeat if you had to do it all over again? Or what new school grade would you create to add on?
- Leap Meal! What meal would you choose or invent if you had to have an extra meal each day?
- Leap Sibling! Would you pick an extra brother or sister?
- Leap Birthday! Which birthday party or year would you love to repeat? Or what would you do for your extra birthday this year?
- Leap Gift! What one extra gift do you wish you could get?
- Leap Vacation! An extra vacation anywhere in the world – where would you go?
- Leap of Faith! If you could cure or fix one thing in the world, what would it be?
Let us know your Leap Answers and any other wacky Leap Questions you can think of in the Comments below.
Don't forget there's one extra second on June 30th. Spend it wisely. Myself, I think I’m going to use it to eat an extra Hershey's Kiss . . .
— Ratha, STACKS Writer