June 8, 2012

Coco, Trevor, & Tyler Let It Shine Interview

Posted by at 1:25 am in Celebrities | Permalink

LetitshineCoco Jones, Trevor Jackson, and Tyler James Williams Let It Shine

Imagine writing an amazing song and then your best friend takes the credit for it! That is the story of the new Disney movie Let It Shine. Cyrus DeBarge (played by Tyler James Williams) and his best friend Kris McDuffy (played by Trevor Jackson) reunite with their childhood friend, the beautiful singing sensation Roxie Andrews (played by Coco Jones). Cyrus crafts a heartfelt and contest-winning rhyme about Roxie, but his work is mistakenly attributed to Kris. Cyrus stands by while Kris not only takes credit for the lyrics, but begins to win Roxie's heart too. Now, it's up to the true poet to overcome self-doubt, reveal his authentic self, and pursue his dreams.

We interviewed the 3 actors to find out more about the movie. Read on to find out what they said!

Who are your musical influences?
Coco: From the time that I started singing, my mom always had me sing songs by singers with big voices, so I sang Aretha Franklin, Etta James, Celine Dion, and Jennifer Hudson. I would have to say that these ladies are my top musical influences.
Trevor: Michael Jackson, Chris Brown, Brian McKnight, Donny Hathaway, Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, and more.
Tyler: Andre 3000 as an artist and producer, Lupe Fiasco as a lyricist, and John Mayer and Matt Greiner as musicians.

Who has been the biggest influence in your life?
Coco: My biggest influence is definitely my mom. She has sung with me as long as I can remember. She helps me with everything: learning my scripts, teaching me to cook, plus she homeschools me. I know she believes in me, and no matter what, she and my dad are always proud of me.
Tyler: My mom. She has always been the person I go to when dealing with any difficult decision. She always knows exactly what to say to help guide me in the right direction.

Describe your fashion style.
Coco: I have two styles. When I am performing or working, I enjoy a lot of bling. You’ll find me in crazy accessories, bright colored skinny jeans, and cool shoes. During the week while I am at home or in the studio, I keep it very casual and comfortable with sweats, jeans, and t-shirts.
Tyler: Nothing flashy. Relaxed. I wear boots regardless of the time of year. Laid back but I also have the potential to get dressy at any moment.

What is one thing that you would like to see happen to help make the world a better place?
Coco: My parents adopted my oldest brother when he was 14 years old. I wish I could help more people to see the importance of older aged adoption in our country. My passion is to work to change things for orphans in the United States. My parents made each of the kids promise that we would all adopt at least one child when we got old enough to have our own families, and we all will.
Trevor: The world would be a better place if there was no more racism and discrimination. I want to use what God has given me to inspire others to do the same and let them know that anything is possible through hard work, humility, and love.
Tyler: I would like to see people love each other more. Our society is so quick to judge and condemn someone who has done something wrong, it’s sad. I believe in second, third, fourth, and fifth chances, which is why I support and work with the Los Angeles Dream Center so much. They will never give up on someone. Ultimately I believe that is what will create positive change in the community, country, and world.

Who was the jokester on set? Who was the serious one?
Coco: I am laughing just thinking about Trevor on set. He was always singing and dancing and making us laugh. Tyler was the serious one. He had done so much work, and he really helped us become better actors.

Do you have a favorite scene in the movie?
Coco: I love the finale scene with the song “Let It Shine.” It has so much energy; the wardrobe is great; the song is wonderful, and the entire cast was there. It was awesome!
Trevor: I love this entire movie, so I don't think I can pick one.
Tyler: I love the first club scene. The audience gets a good feel of the mood, friendship, and talents of Kris and Cyrus, and we also introduce Roxie.

What do you hope people will learn from Let It Shine?
Coco: Being yourself is the most important thing, but I also know they will see how important it is to discover their talents.
Trevor: You can do anything you put your mind to!
Tyler: Be you. Nobody can be you like you.

1. eddrian

I want to be a singer and a rapper just like you folks but I need help I can’t do it alone can I get a response or some

2. Judson

i’m Angolan but i love American music, i d’like to make a short comentary about Coco: that girl is too beautyful and smart and i love the way she sings, coz she sings nicely, i come along to what Coco said; and i usually talk to my friends about it, if we want get something we have to have knowledge wise and be friends high of other, it’s also necessary to know our mother tongue, many people say many hands makes light work!!
    dreams come true if we take a time to think about what we want in life, get to know yourself,
    try to find out who you really are, and in wha you are good at, and live life to fullest!!

3. Anna

Trevor Jackson is so cute.Tyler James loves rapping.I love his swagg.Coco is just like me.We both love fashion,singing,and were talented.

4. hunterbulldog2

hey OMG let it shine was such a great movie. Coco jones is a mini beyonce.she might be my favorite disney channel star. I wish i could try out for NBT.

5. platinumjetsetter3

That movie was really cool.I had to use the bathroom about 5xs during the movie and i didnt get up not once thats how much i liked it …..wait *LOVED IT*!!!!!!!!!!! cheers 2 disney channel for a job well done.KEEP ON LETTIN IT SHINE!!!!!!!!!

6. moriah

This was a good movie and I think that Roxie was a good singer in the movie and I think they can fix it by making it a little bit more reasonable by making it more longer and making more main characters.

7. Moriah

Let it shine was a great movie. I enjoyed the rap parts and and when coco aka Roxie was singing. I also liked when cyrus battled Bling at the night club. I didn’t like when when Cyrus’s father didn’t let him rap/sing.

8. sharkbulldog11

The movie is great! I give it ten stars.It sets the mood in all different ways. My favorite part was “moment of truth.” It shows that if you step yourself up you can do great things. GO Trevor,Tyler,and Coco!

9. cookingbasketball22

I love the movie saw it about 8 times to me it is a good movie. I almost cried because that is how good it was. I when it first came on the first time I was at my dad’s house. The worst part was when Cyrus got slapped but not Kris didn’t for lying.

10. pnut345678

I can’t wait till the movie comes out so that they will stop playing the songs every other comercial!

11. mysterysecret9

that is a movie that i like i think it is awesome i am surprised it was a disney channel movie

12. redwolf80

llllllllllllllllloooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeee it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. hurricaneaqua9

how sweet is that and any way can any of you guys friend me i am felling lonly with one friend and no shout outs! :( by the way my username is hurricaneaqua9 look out for me

14. dancecelebrating32

love let it shine i like cyrus rapping and him and i like rockie singing and a little rapping

15. fearlessangel116

i cant wait to see let it shine it sounds like such a great movie. I hope I am actually able to see it and I don`t miss it!

16. emily

I LOVED IT!!!! Cyrus and you make the CUTEST couple that’s the TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D LOVE <3 :D
    LOVE <3
    LOVE <3
    : D

17. seastrong2

I loved coco jone in the movies all her outfits in the movie were flashy and cool. I like Tyler hes really cute but Trevor is funny…..:)

18. PlatinumTurquoise3

I liked that movie although the rapping wasn’t exactly my style. Coco Jones is an amazing singer plus she is beautiful.

19. sarahr

(P.S.- I think I just commented on GraceJ but don’t know. help? And, I’ve read the summary before but it doesn’t sound the same as the commercial.
    Although I may be thinking of a different commercial.)

20. Corneila von Snicklefritz

THIS MOVIE LOOKS GOOD I WILL MAKE SURE I WATCH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Haley

i cant what to see the show that is goin to play on Disney channel that is how i am goin to watch it i have not read the book tho

22. sammy

i can’t wait to see that movie! it’s coming on friday the 15th of june
    and actually tyler james williams plays cyrus debarge and trevor jackson plays kris mcduffy. this movie is going to rock!

23. safedirector4

SOOOOOOOOOOOO COOL! CANT WAIT TILL THAT MOVIE COMES OUT. SOUNDS LIKE ITS GOING TO BE A GOOD ONE

24. necklacerainbow2

I thought the movie was boring but after the first look of let it shine it looked great but what makes it great is the actors!!!!!
    GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!

25. iridescenttrickster6

let it shine thats the song wow ahhh this is my second time bloging its so fun i could do this everyday yum as in ahhhhhh again if i seem pumped i am blog again so i say hi and to read the book bye ok got to go