May 30, 2012

Keke Palmer in Rags

Posted by at 12:12 pm in Celebrities | Permalink

RagsKeke Palmer Rags Interview

Did you guys catch the Nickelodeon movie Rags this week? Rags is a modern-day fairy tale starring Keke Palmer as Kadee Worth and Max Schneider as Charlie Prince. The movie is a modern New York City version of the classic Cinderella story. Charlie Prince is an orphan living with his mean stepfather and spoiled stepbrothers. Charlie’s dream is to be a singer, and while he is vocally talented and can write music, he can’t seem to catch a break. Kadee Worth, on the other hand, is the daughter of music mogul Reginald Worth and is an international pop phenomenon. While the world knows her as a glamorous superstar, she is secretly frustrated with singing other people’s songs and wearing clothes other people choose for her. Kadee wants the world to hear and see her true talent.

Despite every obstacle that gets thrown in their way, once Charlie and Kadee find one another, they each finally get what they have been looking for – a voice, a stage, an audience, and each other. And they live happily ever after. . .

We interviewed Keke Palmer to get her take on the new rags to riches story.

Q: Tell me about Rags and how it’s similar to the Cinderella story.

Keke: Well the guy is like Cinderella – that would be Max’s character. Except in this one, it’s a male. And just like in the fairy tale, they have dreams but they’re being held back by their evil stepfamilies. Through his relationship with a princess, he gets help to find a way to do what he wants to do.

Q: Describe your character Kadee.
Keke: I like her drive. I like her sincerity. Even though she has all this going on, she’s a really sincere person and still remains true to the people around her. Her only hang-up is that she wants to be her, and everybody around her wants her to be this kind of bubble-gummy pop type character. But that’s not all she is. She wants to do a little bit more with her music. I appreciate the humility in her and that realness and not wanting people to control her all the time.

Q: What are your co-stars like? Avan Jogia, Max Schneider, and Drake Bell?
Keke: Avan is extremely silly and funny, just a character. Max is really cool and he’s so helpful. Drake is just really chill and it’s so funny because I’m used to him as Drake from Drake and Josh. But he’s like very cool and just chill and professional.

Q: Were you bullied in school?
Keke: I was bullied in school from kindergarten to third grade. And for whatever reason, by the time I got to third grade, things kind of mellowed out. But from like kindergarten to second, it was just a really hard time. Kids used to make fun of the way I talked, my hair, just everything. I guess I was just really different from them. I had a little bit of a Southern accent; I didn’t talk very proper. I used gel in my hair. You know how when you use gel your hair kinda gets hard after a while? They used to make fun of my hair. I was very sad and cried to my mom. But I never really became an introvert. I still kept letting myself shine and for that I’m proud of myself. I just kept trying and being nice, trying to be friends.

Q: What can kids do to prevent bullying?
Keke: You can actually take the oath saying that you’ll try wherever you are to make a difference and to stop bullying. If you see it, stop it. If you know what’s going on, you can be a part of stopping it and ending this epidemic.

Q: If you had to pick your all-time favorite book, what would it be?
Keke: It would have to be between A Wrinkle in Time and Everlost. They both are like science fiction. Well, maybe not necessarily science fiction, but enchantment. They’re enchanted. Something happens in both them where it’s almost impossible. Like, in A Wrinkle in Time like the family turns in… something comes over the place and everybody’s being controlled. And things like that. And then with Everlost, these kids kind of passed away but they go into this world called Everlost – that’s kind of like what would be considered maybe a heaven for children. It’s like an imagination type of book. I don’t know, but it was interesting and I liked both of them.

Q: Do you have a personal motto or a favorite quote?
Keke: “You are what you repeatedly do. Then excellence is not an act, but a habit.” I love that quote so much because if you’re repeatedly excellent, that is what you are. That’s who you are. If you repeatedly lie, you are then a liar. It’s not something that you just do once. You’ve done it so many times that that’s who you are. But if you repeatedly do excellence, if you repeatedly try your best and you put your all into everything you do, then that’s who you are.

Q: Do you have a pet?
Keke: I have a pug-beagle mix. His name is Charlie.  He tried to eat his poop yesterday. He’s a baby. He’s a baby dog, like he tries to eat his poop. He’s also a very excited beagle. He’s growing and growing and growing and he’s getting more hyper by the second. He’s just bouncing off the walls, jumping on you, jumping on and eating your food. He’s just a handful.

Q: What music are you listening to lately?
Keke: I’ve just been listening to Brandy’s new song that I just absolutely love. I just love Brandy. I don’t care what she does. She just came out with a new version of “Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star.” I just found out that “Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star” and “A-B-C-D” are the same melody?!  [Sings "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" and "A-B-C-D"] How unbelievable is that?

Whooooah! She’s right! It is the same song! Why did no one tell me that until now? I feel cheated!

1. para

Keke palmer,and Max schneider were amazing!I wish luv lik that was in real life and I luv Keke’s voice i sing and dance and do softball but the most important thing is singing and Keke inspiers me 2 keep goin!!!! luv u keke

2. Carly

I love the movie rags !!!!!!!! It super inspiring exspecialy because I want to be a singer and and an actress

3. kylie

This movie is an entertaining movie that explains a boys life and how he is more that people treat him to be.

4. dancecelebrating32

love charlie and kadee and wen they kissed they look so cute together and charlie is cute thanks charlie

5. Michaela

THIS IS AN AWSOME MOVIE… HOPE THEY CREATE A SEQUEL TO IT…. TREVOR JACKSON LOOKS LIKE HE REALLY CAN RAP IN REAL LIFE… IJS

6. Tristian

I loved that movie it was awsome i think that Max and Keke r awsome singers and they should start a band

7. iridescenttrickster6

your lucky that u get to be a star but im lucky to i get a family movie star or not we are all famous

8. -A

omg rags was such a romantic modern cinderella story but in boy form and max you were so adorable in this movie
    -A

9. ravenketchup3

omg i love everybody from rags they are pretty and handsome i think the boy who plays charly and keke will be a great cupple <3

10. madstation4

Rags was a awesome movie!!! kadee(keke) and charlie(max) were like made for each other. LOVE THE MOVIE! :D :D :D :D :D :D

11. Angelique

That movie was amazing.My favorite part was when Keke and max kissed.Also When Max sang at the ball.

12. butterflyblack242

THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE MOVIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE WASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS GREATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT AND I JUST LOVE CHARLIE HES CUTE

13. butterflyblack242

I WATCHED RAGS TONIGHT AGAIN AND I THOUGHT WOW HIS VOICE IS AMAAZING AND WE’RE THE SAME AGE AND HE CAN SING AND I CAN SING BECAUSE IM THE LEAD SINGER IN THE CHOIR I CANT WAIT TILL I SEE IT AGAIN THAT MOVIE NVER GETS OLD BUT I MISS FRED FIGGLEHORN HE SO FUNNY

14. dodgerfan4

i thought the movie rags was cool. Well the parts thatg i saw. i only saw half of it which stunck because i really wanted to watch it.

15. butterflyblack242

she was greatttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt and tight i am her number one fan

16. butterflyblack242

keke that girl knows she can sing her and charlie would be a great couple in real life

17. robinsurfing6

i luved it when they found out charlie wuz the real rags and they song “Me and u Against the World” soooooooooo…… cute

18. guitarmusic21

i so loved the music inspriatinal and im not a big fan of rock but this really spoke to me my fav is someday and vote loyld instead of andrew

19. museumazure7

I really loved that movie and loved when Kadee (Keke)sing I love you so much.Was Charlie (Max)really the really the janitor?Why did Drake Bell relly wanted Charlie to be in an album cover?Even I liked when they sing me and you against the world.And I liked when Kadee (Keke)sing look at me now.

20. Danielle

I didn’t get to watch it and I was so sad, but I think my brother recorded so I can’t wait to see it! I love Keke and how she’s taking a stand for bullying! Me and my friend tried to figure if they were the same, but one of us always ended up singing the other persons song…

21. coloringart63

i felt bad for kaddee if that was real life i would stick up for kaddee it is her career it is her life let live right?

22. coloringart63

in the beginning kaddee look so um…..
    uncomfortable
    HOW THE HECK DID SHE GET IT ON AND OFF! MY GOSH!

23. coloringart63

watching rag RIGHT NOW!
    Diego and his wife are distracting the stepfather
    Auther.
    HA HA HA HA
    i hate the stepfather character

24. coachsong6

I love all of you guys because I see you on TV alot you guys are so cool I wish I could meet all of you. I am so that people that I know where in this movie like Keke Palmer I’ve always want to meet Keke Palmer just like when she made the show True Jackson on teennick and as for Charlie he is so cool I also wish I could meet him too!!!!!!

25. coachsong6

I think you guys did a good job on the movie I hope you can show the movie Rags once a week maybe!!!!

26. aquadolphin1388

i loved rags! i think they should make a rags 2!!!!:)keke palmer was amazing in the movie! and kadee (KEKE)was right charlies songs were inspiring:)and keke and max were amzing actors in this movie!!!!! I <3 RAGS!!!!!

27. coloringart63

LOVED IT !!!!
    Favorite characters are
    Kattie,Charlie,the guy drake bell played whats his name

28. coloringart63

i felt bad for Katie when she wasn’t be heard :(
    oh yeah and what type of dog was THAT???? it was cute but i am uh…

29. coloringart63

At first I thought it would be
    the a bit boring then i LOVE IT.I HATE the step-father character though!!!! :(

30. sharklavender3

hey thumbs up if u liked the movie i give it for(if i had 4 thumbs:)) i luved the movie also send a shout out if u do 2 friend me!

31. purplefootball28

This movie was entertaining and nice.I really enjoyed it very much.I luv keke palamer.I hope she sees this. Keke Palmer you are my idol.I loved youre kids true jackson line and i used to watch true jackson vp.You inspired me to enjoy designing clothes no matter how old i am. I LOVE YOU KEKE PAMLER FOREVER. *(i really hope keke pamler sees this!!)

32. coachpsyched2

Charlie and Katiee were soooooooooo romantic together!!! they were a perfect match for each other sent from heaven!!!!!!!!!! :)

33. coachpsyched2

I loved Rags!!! it is now one of my fav movies!! Max (charlie) was so good!!! he really does have a talent!!!

34. phonepaw3

this was a good movie play it over and over again good job keke i love your work mike keep working hard on how to rock avon nice victorices keep rocking drake good luck with any show you do

35. artcat270

Rags is an amazing story of a avarge boy who turns out 2 B more than he seems and after his journey ends with a happily ever after.

36. grace

omg RAGS was the best movie ever!!! I Loved it sooooooooooooooooo much. My fav seen was when Charlie kissed katie with the mask on and said be you sooooooo romantic!!!!