March 28, 2012

New Titanic Book!

Posted by at 12:56 am in Reads | Permalink

Titanic facts

Titanic: Voices from the Disaster by Deborah Hopkinson

When the RMS Titanic was built in the early 1900s, it was the largest and most beautiful ship in the whole world. The ship had first class restaurants, a gymnasium and gorgeous rooms for the wealthiest travelers. For those who didn’t have much money (known as second and third class passengers), the ship was a comfortable way to travel from Europe to America to see their friends and relatives. The builders of the Titanic spent years designing and creating the ship and thought it was unsinkable. When the boat left on its maiden voyage in April 1912, none of the passengers or crew members could have predicted that the Titanic would sink and become known as one of the biggest tragedies of our time.

Titanic: Voices from the Disaster, by Deborah Hopkinson, takes you on a journey from the very creation of the Titanic to the aftermath of its sinking. Through the eyes of crew members and passengers, you’ll learn what really happened on that fateful spring voyage. You will feel as though you are a passenger or a crew member on the ship when you look at the photographs, illustrations, and copies of the telegraphs.

What really happened on the night of April 15, 1912? Why did only 712 out of the 2,208 passengers get space on the lifeboats? How did the survivors stay alive on the lifeboats without any fresh water or food? Most importantly, what lessons did we learn after this tragedy, and how can we prevent it from happening again?

This book is the ultimate guide to the Titanic disaster that happened exactly 100 years ago. Prepare to go on a journey back to 1912 and learn more about the most famous boat in the world!

Read a Kid Reporter’s review of the book. And if you’re obsessed and want to read more about the disaster, check out some more books about the Titanic.

—Jen, Scholastic Booktalker

1. DOGART527

I saw the Titanic in 3D it was great when the Titanic sank i cried for 5 minutes but my mom cried more than me!It was about a old lady that was the rich and pretty women that fell in love with the man that had blond hair.

2. ipodeating3

The Titanic is a very sad movie I wish they knew what happen before the ship sank! lots of people deid! i wish it never happen or they did knew what will happen before it did happen. My favorite part in the story was when the guy was looking for the girl when the ship started to sink!!

3. jadegray23

The Titanic is a very sad movie and a horribal tragic.The Titanic does have many interesting facts though.I would like to learn more about the Titanic because it is just so interesting!

4. baseballbaseball283

Titantic is my favorite book.I think the book is sad and interesting.I think the book is interesting because of the history.

5. Shoretiger1

The titanic looks like a really great movie.It’s really sad for all those people who died in 3rd class.I think the men whose stayed on board are great,if they were here today I would tell them your family and friends must be proud of you.

6. >Aggressive*Juno*3<

(back to beautiful)
    The TITANIC started sinking at 11:40 on the dot. It took 2 hours and 30 minutes to sink. Personally since I did the math (probably incorrect)but I think it stopped sinking to the ocean floor at 2:10. Please correct me if i got the end of the sinking wrong. LOL I think I did.

7. bluemellow5

the titanic movie was really good but it was also sad at the same time.it was good because it told a true story about a ship that really sunk.and it was sad because all of those people that were on the titanic died because of the ship sinking.that is why i think the movie was good and sad.

8. Dancingbulldog52

Titanic is a really sad movie but at the same time it was great.I feel the same way with the book but it got boring after a while.Also three days ago was the 100th anniversary of the Titanic

9. hockeykitten5

i liked the movie titanic but i like learning facts about the titanic more. i look forward to reading a book about the titanic.

10. magic

how is the titanic book? is it awesome or the opposite of it?
    i would read it because its kinda interesting. but for one people say the titanic dont sink but it sank when it the iceberg. so the titanic is sinkable then.

11. angelbirl99

this book is awsome and my opinion is i think you should read it because this is an important part in history and its something you should learn and + you might even learn in school and you will know.