March 28, 2012

New Titanic Book!

Posted by at 12:56 am in Reads | Permalink

Titanic facts

Titanic: Voices from the Disaster by Deborah Hopkinson

When the RMS Titanic was built in the early 1900s, it was the largest and most beautiful ship in the whole world. The ship had first class restaurants, a gymnasium and gorgeous rooms for the wealthiest travelers. For those who didn’t have much money (known as second and third class passengers), the ship was a comfortable way to travel from Europe to America to see their friends and relatives. The builders of the Titanic spent years designing and creating the ship and thought it was unsinkable. When the boat left on its maiden voyage in April 1912, none of the passengers or crew members could have predicted that the Titanic would sink and become known as one of the biggest tragedies of our time.

Titanic: Voices from the Disaster, by Deborah Hopkinson, takes you on a journey from the very creation of the Titanic to the aftermath of its sinking. Through the eyes of crew members and passengers, you’ll learn what really happened on that fateful spring voyage. You will feel as though you are a passenger or a crew member on the ship when you look at the photographs, illustrations, and copies of the telegraphs.

What really happened on the night of April 15, 1912? Why did only 712 out of the 2,208 passengers get space on the lifeboats? How did the survivors stay alive on the lifeboats without any fresh water or food? Most importantly, what lessons did we learn after this tragedy, and how can we prevent it from happening again?

This book is the ultimate guide to the Titanic disaster that happened exactly 100 years ago. Prepare to go on a journey back to 1912 and learn more about the most famous boat in the world!

If you’re obsessed and want to read more about the disaster, check out some more books about the Titanic.

—Jen, Scholastic Booktalker

1. cryable

I really feel sorry for them people who was on the boat kids die and baby’s and partner and I have watch the movie and every time you will cry.

2. kiristana

this book seems like a good book and it is a good book i always loved books that are like this i always wnted to know whow the titanic sunk and this book is just one of the best books ever made

3. Dimond

My class at school is crazy for the titanic. We all love the history of the ship and the bravery of all the passengers. But the movie isnt that historically accurate. I wish they would write a documentary of the ship. I would pay money to see that!!!!!:)

4. HappyLadybug21

I love the Titanic!! I saw the movie in 3D and it was amazing!♥ It was a sad thing to remember! I always cry at the end when Rose has to let go! :’( My middle name is Rose because my sister got so in ♥ with the movie she aasked my mom and mom approved! SO FASINATING!

5. booklover

i really like the titanic and heard lots of facts and there boring but you make it less boring i hope you can one day write a comment on me. for now thats all!

6. metropolislolsome1

Did you now about 30,000 people were killed on that ship.The people who were alive was 2,037 people.

7. katie

I’ve always been interested in the sinking of the Titanic and ever since I saw the movie it was my favorite movie ever!

8. 38

:P :P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

9. orangecheeseburger

I have always seen Titanic very interesting so that book would be a maybe. I never seen the movie but I am looking into it. How is the movie? Please let me know.

10. DOGART527

I saw the Titanic in 3D it was great when the Titanic sank i cried for 5 minutes but my mom cried more than me!It was about a old lady that was the rich and pretty women that fell in love with the man that had blond hair.

11. ipodeating3

The Titanic is a very sad movie I wish they knew what happen before the ship sank! lots of people deid! i wish it never happen or they did knew what will happen before it did happen. My favorite part in the story was when the guy was looking for the girl when the ship started to sink!!

12. jadegray23

The Titanic is a very sad movie and a horribal tragic.The Titanic does have many interesting facts though.I would like to learn more about the Titanic because it is just so interesting!

13. baseballbaseball283

Titantic is my favorite book.I think the book is sad and interesting.I think the book is interesting because of the history.

14. Shoretiger1

The titanic looks like a really great movie.It’s really sad for all those people who died in 3rd class.I think the men whose stayed on board are great,if they were here today I would tell them your family and friends must be proud of you.

15. >Aggressive*Juno*3<

(back to beautiful)
    The TITANIC started sinking at 11:40 on the dot. It took 2 hours and 30 minutes to sink. Personally since I did the math (probably incorrect)but I think it stopped sinking to the ocean floor at 2:10. Please correct me if i got the end of the sinking wrong. LOL I think I did.

16. bluemellow5

the titanic movie was really good but it was also sad at the same time.it was good because it told a true story about a ship that really sunk.and it was sad because all of those people that were on the titanic died because of the ship sinking.that is why i think the movie was good and sad.

17. Dancingbulldog52

Titanic is a really sad movie but at the same time it was great.I feel the same way with the book but it got boring after a while.Also three days ago was the 100th anniversary of the Titanic

18. hockeykitten5

i liked the movie titanic but i like learning facts about the titanic more. i look forward to reading a book about the titanic.

19. magic

how is the titanic book? is it awesome or the opposite of it?
    i would read it because its kinda interesting. but for one people say the titanic dont sink but it sank when it the iceberg. so the titanic is sinkable then.

20. angelbirl99

this book is awsome and my opinion is i think you should read it because this is an important part in history and its something you should learn and + you might even learn in school and you will know.

21. Dawn

OMG!!!! I love the movie Titanic but it’s so totally annoying. I for one love Twilight. But, still Titanic is a good movie. Maybe, the book will be as good as the movie. But… I doubt it. Look for more of my comments on other posts and bye. P.S leonardo decaprio young was so cute. And comment on my comments. :)

22. PianoGirl6

I have a friend who is OBSESSED with the Titanic. I’m gonna suggest this book to her before she goes out and sees the movie in 3D. ;-)

23. bluefangs77

i want 2 watch the movie but books r so better even though u have pics and ation to see u can picture it in ur mind comment me back with is better the book or the movie. and it will be a vote

24. gamedog37

I am taking my girlfriend out to see Titanic in 3D on April 15th. She has never seen it before. The only reason I am nervous is because I might cry on her shoulder!

25. TurquisePanda37

I love anything about the titans. ’cause only 1 life boat came back for 4 more passenger. It sank at 2:20 AM

26. runninghamster4

the titanic books are the best i cant believe that it is the 100th anniversary i also like the movie.I really feel bad for the people that was on the ship i really wish they didn’t have to be on the boat.

27. J

I just can’t help it. I cry for like 15 minutes once I watch the movie. It is so sad! My brother isn’t even emotional. I don’t even see one tear drop from his eye!
    It is so sad.