March 16, 2012

Josh Hutcherson Talks About Peeta

Posted by at 12:36 am in Book to Big Screen, Celebrities | Permalink

Hungergames_130Hunger Games Interview with Josh Hutcherson!

Some people disagree with me, but I think the most important character in The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins (for ages 12 and up) is Peeta. Therefore, I also think that the actor who plays Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) has the most important role in The Hunger Games movie (rated PG-13), in theaters March 23. In my eyes, for the movie to really work, Peeta has to be just right. That’s why I am so excited to read this interview with Josh talking about Peeta because it sounds like he really gets him. It makes me even more excited to see the movie!

Q: How did you prepare for the role of Peeta, a baker who becomes a fighter? Did you have to train in baking and fighting before the movie?

Josh: [Laughs] Actually, one of the things that drew me to The Hunger Games so much is how much I felt like myself and Peeta had in common. I think we’re very much the same person. We have a very similar outlook on life . . . about being genuine with people. I think that’s something that Peeta always is. He’s very good at working with people. He’s very outgoing, and he really believes in not letting anything change you. You always need to make sure that you are true to yourself and you’re being the truest version of you. For me, that’s kind of how I’ve been throughout the movie business. People can really change you and you can sort of lose who you are. But I’ve always believed in maintaining myself as a person.
As far as preparing for the role, I felt like I was really already there mentally. You know, the books give a lot of insight into the characters, which is really great. So, having that as a reference was awesome. And Suzanne Collins was great. I had a great conversation with her. She asked me if I had any question about motivations, to just give her a call and she would happily talk it out with me.
As far as the baking and fighting goes, I actually love to bake, funnily enough. That’s another thing Peeta and I have in common. I’ve always been into cooking and baking. And with the fighting element, Peeta doesn’t fight a whole lot in the first Hunger Games. So, I didn’t have too much training for that. I did, however, put on 15 pounds of muscle weight for the role to get that beefier, been-lifting-bags-of-flour sort of look. Basically, I was eating a ton of protein and working out every day, lifting a lot of weights and stuff like that. Peeta is “farm boy” kind of strong, so he’s not like the cut surfer model type. He’s a little bulkier and a little bit bigger, so that’s what we were going for with the look.

Q: Do you think Peeta would be a friend of yours in real life?
Josh: I definitely think so. We’d definitely get along because we’d pretty much have the exact same view about life, and our demeanor would be very similar.

What do you think? Isn’t he perfect? Leave a Comment! And if The Hunger Games is your favorite book, don’t forget to vote for it in the Kids’ Choice Awards!

Interview by Marie Morreale

1. Bookworm

I think, personally, that all of the characters in the hunger games are incredibly complex and important characters. Especially Katniss and Peeta. I think that he’s going to do a good job playing Peeta, even though I was rooting for Gale from start to finish. (I’m stubborn that way.)

2. pinkadorable17

josh,you rock! leave a shout out to my profile:pinkadorable18
    send this comment to josh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. dogcode17

the hunger games is awesome.i think the movie is going to be awesome. josh hutcherson who plays peeta is cute.

4. greentiger27

The Hunger Games are the best series ever!!!! The last book,Mockingjay could have had a little more action but other than that the series was awesome!!! Personally, I’m not a big fan of Peeta. I like Gale. A big applause for Team Gale and Team Peeta!! WOO-HOO! P.S. I loved the music video for Safe and Sound by Taylor Swift. I think Josh will be perfect for playing Peeta. I can’t wait to see the movie.

5. edward4me

I love this book I finished the first book and now I’m on the second one. I think Peeta is a very genuine character and I like the fact that he isn’t afraid to be himself and stay that way. That makes him a big ro model for me so thank you Peeta and Josh I really hope you will pull him off you are a great actor and I truly believe that you will do a fantastic job(:

6. Jesse

I love The Hunger Games and I’ve read the whole series for about fifty times and I’m still in fourth grade. I hope the movie comes out soon(I just want to see what Finnick looks like).

7. EpicInk2

Oh yuss :3 He is so perfect :3 I wish they’d got Avan Jogia (Beck from Victorious) for Gale… he sounds so perfect for Gale… WHY PRODUCERS WHY?

8. WIZARDMERLIN37

I am so excited for the movie! I’m readin’ the book and I have at least 4 chapters left. This sounds crazy, but its pretty darn close to Harry Potter which sometimes scares me. Anywaz, let the games begin! ;)

9. Alex

i’m reading the book rite now super good, about to see movie, can’t wait, jumping for joy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is super good! read it

10. julia

I think he is so perfect for the role. I can’t wait for the movie I read the series five times because I love it so much.

11. Britney

Yes!! I’ve heard from my friend that the Hunger Games is a great book! I have not read it yet but I have heard that it is action packed and involves lots of cool stuff. I can’t wait to read the Hunger Games Series!!! :-)

12. Emily

Awesome! Josh sounds like THE perfect Peeta! I totally agree that Peeta is a super important character. When I was reading the first book I thought, “Wow……it’s gonna be IMPOSSIBLE to find someone to ace the role of Peeta Mellark.” But, I stand corrected!
    Can’t wait 4 the movie!