March 16, 2012

Josh Hutcherson Talks About Peeta

Posted by at 12:36 am in Book to Big Screen, Celebrities | Permalink

Hungergames_130Hunger Games Interview with Josh Hutcherson!

Some people disagree with me, but I think the most important character in The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins (for ages 12 and up) is Peeta. Therefore, I also think that the actor who plays Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) has the most important role in The Hunger Games movie (rated PG-13), in theaters March 23. In my eyes, for the movie to really work, Peeta has to be just right. That’s why I am so excited to read this interview with Josh talking about Peeta because it sounds like he really gets him. It makes me even more excited to see the movie!

Q: How did you prepare for the role of Peeta, a baker who becomes a fighter? Did you have to train in baking and fighting before the movie?

Josh: [Laughs] Actually, one of the things that drew me to The Hunger Games so much is how much I felt like myself and Peeta had in common. I think we’re very much the same person. We have a very similar outlook on life . . . about being genuine with people. I think that’s something that Peeta always is. He’s very good at working with people. He’s very outgoing, and he really believes in not letting anything change you. You always need to make sure that you are true to yourself and you’re being the truest version of you. For me, that’s kind of how I’ve been throughout the movie business. People can really change you and you can sort of lose who you are. But I’ve always believed in maintaining myself as a person.
As far as preparing for the role, I felt like I was really already there mentally. You know, the books give a lot of insight into the characters, which is really great. So, having that as a reference was awesome. And Suzanne Collins was great. I had a great conversation with her. She asked me if I had any question about motivations, to just give her a call and she would happily talk it out with me.
As far as the baking and fighting goes, I actually love to bake, funnily enough. That’s another thing Peeta and I have in common. I’ve always been into cooking and baking. And with the fighting element, Peeta doesn’t fight a whole lot in the first Hunger Games. So, I didn’t have too much training for that. I did, however, put on 15 pounds of muscle weight for the role to get that beefier, been-lifting-bags-of-flour sort of look. Basically, I was eating a ton of protein and working out every day, lifting a lot of weights and stuff like that. Peeta is “farm boy” kind of strong, so he’s not like the cut surfer model type. He’s a little bulkier and a little bit bigger, so that’s what we were going for with the look.

Q: Do you think Peeta would be a friend of yours in real life?
Josh: I definitely think so. We’d definitely get along because we’d pretty much have the exact same view about life, and our demeanor would be very similar.

What do you think? Isn’t he perfect? Leave a Comment! And if The Hunger Games is your favorite book, don’t forget to vote for it in the Kids’ Choice Awards!

Interview by Marie Morreale

1. Aliyah

OMGSH! i absoulutly LOVE thg! i have a HUGE crush on peeta! he’s amazing talented and josh hutckerson is PERFECT for the role! i’d LOVE 2 b in thg’s next movie! ttfn! oh, btw, Josh u r my fav. actor! u rock!

2. blackvampire184

I love this book so much ive read it a billion times its so awesome i prcticaly memorized it PS i Love JH

3. dancingladybug31

Hunger Games are so cool! Ever since I read the book, I was like, “Omigosh, I HAVE to learn archery!!!” I can’t watch the movie though. :(

4. BlueBird3092

I loved The Hunger Games! Best book ever!my favorite character is Katniss but with Peeta in it it makes the book so much more awsome

5. forestarrow5

The book is Awesome! The sound track is awesome! The movie is awesome! All of it is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. greenchicken

i totally LOVE LOVE LOVE the hunger games series and the movie josh is my wallpaper!!!! he’s an awesome actor!

7. Sara

I love the books and the movie. I think Josh did a great job playing Peeta in the movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

8. VampireWerewolf113

I looooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeee the Hunger Games it is a great movie.write back bye

9. JUILA

TAYLOR SWIFT’S SAFE AND SOUND SONG IS SO COOL. TRUST ME. I AM JUST NOW READING THE FIRST ONE. I HOPE THERE JUST AS GREAT AS THE MOVIE IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. amberaqua318

well he does have a big part in the movie and it must be very difficult from my point of view though i have no acting experiencei see that it must be very hard to act like someone comepletley different from you and that is not the case here as i see.:)

11. chattyshell6

OMG I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE YOU JOSH HUTCHERSON.. I’VE HAD A CRUSH ON YOU SINCE I WAS LIKE 8! (SUPER CREEPY HAHA)YOU DEFINITELY MADE THE HUNGER GAMES 100 TIMES BETTER! I READ THE BOOK BEFORE THE MOVIE PICTURING WHAT THE DIFFERENT CHARACTERS LOOK LIKE. THEN I SAW THE MOVIE PROBABLY THE WEEK OR THE FIRST 2 WEEKS IT CAME OUT. i REREAD THE BOOK AFTERWARDS PICTURING YOU AS PEETA AND I THINK YOU MADE A COMPLETE DIFFERENCE IN WHAT THE HUNGER GAMES IS TO ME! YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY AMAZING AND I CAN’T WAIT UNTIL I CAN OWN THE HUNGER GAMES AND WATCHING YOU ACT AGAIN! I LOVE ALL OF YOUR MOVIES AND MY FRIENDS GET SOOOOOOOOO ANNOYED WHEN I TALK ABOUT YOU BECAUSE IT IS LIKE THE ONLY THING I TALK ABOUT! HAHA I ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ U!

12. DogIndigo52

I LOVE The HG!!! I”m totally Team Peeta! And obviously Team Katniss! I’m on the third book and saw the movie. I <3 Peeta and Josh Hutcherson!!!!

13. BlackBlack3746

i luv the hunger games the book is ok but the movie i thank is awsum oh my gosh the hunger games is my absolute favorit omg go hunger games need to make more books like that omg

14. Keyster

You did a really good job portraying Peeta in the movie, I’m currently begging my parents for all three books. I tackled the entire Twilight series in a week, so I dontthink reading all of the HUnger Games series will be a challenge. By the twilight series I mean Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn in a WEEK! Pretty impressive right.

15. electricyclops2

the hunger games is the best book and movie everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Bryn

I love Josh so much! I also Love these books! Jen and Josh are the perfect people for the roles!!! I have the Hunger Games nail polish on right now!! I think Josh and Alex (Cato) are SUPER CUTE!!!!!

17. Lydia

Cool! I love Josh Hutcherson almost as much as I love The Hunger Games! When I saw he was Peeta, I was SO happy because, in all honesty, he’s the perfect fit! It looks like Josh agrees too. :)

18. sports

but one thing the movie had that the book didnt have was alot of gore but the book gave more detail i love the book alot more than the movie

19. drawingcake7

i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee the hunger games.i think they have action figures

20. dolphin6

the hunger game is a very good movie and i think that josh hutcherson is the perfect person to take that spot all his other movies were great. :little manhattan and the fire house dog and the bridge to teribitthia they were all very good movies

21. kylie

I love peeta AKA Josh hucherson!!I love the movie I love the book I love every hting i actally have hunger games cloths on one of my game avatars!!Go catness and peeta!!

22. thoughtfullemon1

Hey! I love the hunger games movie and the book. Peter, katniss, prim, and gale are awesome. I cant believe there are nail polishes for the hunger games.

23. Greensoccer39

SUPER CUTE!!!! LOL I love him and can’t wait to see him in some other movies soon! He is the best actor ever! HA!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

24. Hunter

Josh is cute! i saw the movie and he was amazing!!!!! i cant wait to see Catching Fire. i already read the whole trilogy! Team Peeta!!!!

25. Sasha

I loved the movie.I really want to read the books.But i think my school banned the books because they are so violent. So i will check the book out at the library in my city hopefully.

26. Blake

Haven’t been able to read it:( going to after parents:/ can’t wait! My cousin has read the series and might let me read them:)

27. Megan

The Hunger games was such a great book , so if you haven’t read it yet …. you definitely should. You would be missing out on a great story.
    If Josh Hutcherson has read the books, YOU SHOULD TO!!!!

28. Sophia

I LOVE the hunger games so much! Can’t wait until next movie! Josh is the perfect peeta in my opinion! Team Peeta 4-ever!

29. DolphinBrown26

this video is very inspiring I actually know that one of our idols actually reads and i love to read so it was a very intresting video to see and also know that everytime i read i will know that there are very special people(celeberties) that are maybe reading too.

30. Abby

I saw it with my friends on opening night! We also screamed when we saw peeta on the big screen <3 Peeta is definitely the best character, Better than katniss! I LOVE YOU PEETA!

31. Mandy

I’m such a Peeta fan! My friends at school think I over exaggerating about peeta. I’m loving the book I have dreams about peeta too! TEAM PEETA!!

32. dolphinfangs44

i went 2 go watch the hunger games and read the books 2 i love Josh Hutcherson he is so cute anyways im 9 and i read the books and saw the movie i just love peeta

33. orangeathletic6

I can not wait to see the movie!! :) I am reading the book now! It is very good! I am a fan of Hunger Games!:)

34. Jesse

I’m a huge fan of Suzzane Collins, and when I hear her movie’s gonna come out, I fell out of the chair. Sweet!

35. hungergamefan

i cant wait to see the movie it sounds so cool.im almost finish with the first book.i love u hunger games

36. blackdragon530

Im soooooooooo pumped!I looooove Josh and Peeta!My dream is to look like katniss and marry Peeta!The movie was awesome!Love you Josh or Peeta!

37. Ley56

Blah blah blah. You know who’s cute. THE MUFFIN DISTRICT 4 KID! (sigh) Ethan Jameison. The cutest boy ever.

38. Frosty

I luv the Hunger Games! They’re the best books i’ve ever read. And I thought Josh Hutcherson did amazing as the role of Peete.

39. emily

he is awesome i’m almost on the 3rd book sooooooo great i cried when rue died in the book it was so sad

40. cheeryamber16

i love the hunger games.i cant see it in theaters so my mom said imma watch it when it comes out on dvd.ooooooooooooooooo i just cant wait.Go josh hutcherson.your awesome

41. jay

i saw the movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

42. Lauren

I think that The Huinger Games is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think that everybody should read the book then see the movie. The book is much better than the movie….. Peace Out Girl Scout!!!!!!!:):):):P8D

43. jonas

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii jonas

44. bruno238

Omg i love josh hutcherson!!!!!!! This book was amazing and the movie was soooo epic!!!! did u really get hurt during the move. is it true that during the movie “Katniss” actually made you have a concusion! :)

45. Josie

Peeta is my favorite character!!! I saw the movie over the weekend and Josh Hutcherson did an AMAZING job at being Peeta!!! I love Josh too!

46. bugsy bunny

wow my my friends tell me this book is amazing and the movie is too . This is sooo cool , josh talking about his role.

47. celebratingcommander1

I saw the movie it was awsome,reccomend u to wtch it to,but i saw it at the movie theater CINAMA =-)

48. EMERALDDRAGON263

Okay I went to see the movie the day it came out (don’t know how dad posably got tickets) me personally, I thought it was spectacular. Actors, sets, script, eveything. Yeah, so what really they left out a few things, but all in all I rate it a 11 on a 1-10 rating. I am soooooo on Team Peeta. No one else is on this side at my school, but I like being different. Anywayz, I m still waitng to get the second one, so don’t spoil anything! ;) :)

49. singingsophia4

I am 100% in love with Josh Hutcherson. Plus, he was fenomenal in the movie. I’m actually probaby going to see it again because I was texting my friend during the cave scene… I’m really angry at myself for letting me miss that part… but I think Josh was amazing as Peeta:)

50. ladybugice3

I cant wait to see the movie with my sister and aunt i am ordering the first book from scholastic cant wait to get it

51. purpleaphrodite78

I went to see this movie and it is awesome, maybe younger readers should wait to read the book and see the movie because it might be a little young for them

52. Hallie G

TEAM PEETA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    no other words needed-:OD

53. purplemonkey271

The movie was very very very horibble. i want my money back ): All they did in the movie was kill each other and they got their details wrong. by the way katness was very good in the movie. (:

54. jade

i love the hunger games and peeta and josh hutcherson. he is amazing! i saw the midnight showing and it was packed!!! i think it was the best movie ever!

55. FunnyCheetah

OMG!! I AM SOOOOO EXCITED 4 THE HUNGER GAMES!! Josh is like the perfect Peeta!!!! OMG’S!! :)
    FUNNYCHEETAH

56. PurpleArtemis25

:) I convinced my teacher to make the class read the Hunger Games for novel studies instead of Rules :) Hehe, we even planned a field trip to go see the movie!

57. Lululaila

I love the hunger games and it was such a great movie! I went the premiere and saw all the people including Suzanne Collins. I also saw Josh there. :) .

58. ILoveMusic

I wonder how Katniss (Jennifer Lawrece) and Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) will interact with each other. o_O

59. celebratingcommander1

I realy,realy,realy,much love this book,hope to see the movie!so exited p.s.reacomend u to read it if u did not read it.u will love it!

60. s

loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee josh hucherson and peeta loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
    sooooooooooooooooooo
    muchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

61. 1lunalovegood1

I think Katniss is far more important, because the book wouldn’t really be AMAZINGLY SPECTACULAR when she takes Prim’s place in the Games. What I mean is that, if the books’ main topic was Peeta in the games, it would lose that charm and affect it leaves on readers. No Offense!

62. Chey071

I read the Hunger games and it is fantastic and I am going to see the movie soon. =) I can’t wait and I am gong to go crazy just waiting for the movie come out. =( (sad face to waiting for the movie to come out.

63. bulldogcatching36

this book was so good because my 4th grade teacher read it to my whole in tired class have of it was sad and some was like was like wats going to happen.

64. Bookworm

I think, personally, that all of the characters in the hunger games are incredibly complex and important characters. Especially Katniss and Peeta. I think that he’s going to do a good job playing Peeta, even though I was rooting for Gale from start to finish. (I’m stubborn that way.)

65. pinkadorable17

josh,you rock! leave a shout out to my profile:pinkadorable18
    send this comment to josh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

66. dogcode17

the hunger games is awesome.i think the movie is going to be awesome. josh hutcherson who plays peeta is cute.

67. greentiger27

The Hunger Games are the best series ever!!!! The last book,Mockingjay could have had a little more action but other than that the series was awesome!!! Personally, I’m not a big fan of Peeta. I like Gale. A big applause for Team Gale and Team Peeta!! WOO-HOO! P.S. I loved the music video for Safe and Sound by Taylor Swift. I think Josh will be perfect for playing Peeta. I can’t wait to see the movie.

68. edward4me

I love this book I finished the first book and now I’m on the second one. I think Peeta is a very genuine character and I like the fact that he isn’t afraid to be himself and stay that way. That makes him a big ro model for me so thank you Peeta and Josh I really hope you will pull him off you are a great actor and I truly believe that you will do a fantastic job(:

69. Jesse

I love The Hunger Games and I’ve read the whole series for about fifty times and I’m still in fourth grade. I hope the movie comes out soon(I just want to see what Finnick looks like).

70. EpicInk2

Oh yuss :3 He is so perfect :3 I wish they’d got Avan Jogia (Beck from Victorious) for Gale… he sounds so perfect for Gale… WHY PRODUCERS WHY?

71. WIZARDMERLIN37

I am so excited for the movie! I’m readin’ the book and I have at least 4 chapters left. This sounds crazy, but its pretty darn close to Harry Potter which sometimes scares me. Anywaz, let the games begin! ;)

72. Alex

i’m reading the book rite now super good, about to see movie, can’t wait, jumping for joy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is super good! read it

73. julia

I think he is so perfect for the role. I can’t wait for the movie I read the series five times because I love it so much.

74. Britney

Yes!! I’ve heard from my friend that the Hunger Games is a great book! I have not read it yet but I have heard that it is action packed and involves lots of cool stuff. I can’t wait to read the Hunger Games Series!!! :-)

75. Emily

Awesome! Josh sounds like THE perfect Peeta! I totally agree that Peeta is a super important character. When I was reading the first book I thought, “Wow……it’s gonna be IMPOSSIBLE to find someone to ace the role of Peeta Mellark.” But, I stand corrected!
    Can’t wait 4 the movie!

76. Marci

Hey girls, look up hunger games nail polish ideas. Some of them are for the districts. I love the books as much as i loved harry potter, and thats saying something! I’m totally obsessed. Have you heard Taylor Swift’s safe and sound with the video? It’s sweet!

77. Onyxfairy5

omg! this is totes amazing! i cannot wait! i dont know why im ending all of my sentences with exclamation points! eeeek! so excited!

78. blackdragon530

i loooove peeta and Josh hutcherson too!I think reading the HungerGames was one of the most amazing expiriences EVER!

79. Jennifer

Josh seems like the perfect Peeta! I can’t wait to see him and Jennifer in the movie. This is one of my favorite series ever! It’s so weird how Peeta and Josh have the same personality, skills, and basically everything else. I’m so excited and can’t wait to see how the movie comes together.

80. Sadie

Yus, absolutely. In the movie guide, with all the pictures in it and stuff, (not The Girl On Fire with the essays, though that one is equally brilliant) it says that Suzanne said that if Josh was purple and had wings, she would have said, “Work around the wings! He’s that perfect!” (; Amazing. I agree with you, Ms. Collins! Best books EVER!!

81. fashioncheerful52

I LOVE HUNGER GAMES!! I have a BFF name Ella who always reads it!! I SO want to see the movie!!

82. Percy and Harry Fan

7 more days until the movie! :)
    Peeta all the way! I’m surprised that some people like Gale. He caused destruction.
    Josh is truly perfect for the role.

83. preston

ive read the 1st and reading the second they are spetacular. another thing is the b movie souds and looks amzing, last peeta and katniss are my fav charictors.

84. dancingwolf19

Peeta me and my friends love u bc ur awesome! even in the hunger games. i tried to get a ticket for the movie but they were sold out. i wish i could c it bc ur the best charater besides Katniss.