February 16, 2012

Knitting for AIDS Orphans

Posted by at 8:31 pm in Kid Power | Permalink

Makeadifference

Kid Power! Kids can make a difference! Every Thursday on Ink Splot 26, we’ll show you a new idea for how YOU can make the world a better place.

You may have heard of the AIDS epidemic in Africa. It is such a tragedy especially because so many parents are dying of AIDS and leaving their children with no one to take care of them. It is estimated that there are 14.8 million orphans in sub-saharan Africa. 1.9 million live in South Africa. So many sweet, innocent babies with no parents! It makes me sad to think about them.

There may not be anything we can do to stop the spread of AIDS, but there is something we can do for the children: knit for them. KASCare is an organization in South Africa that collects knitted squares and sews them up into blankets for the orphans. You might not think it gets cold in South Africa, but it does! I was there for the World Cup in 2010, and the temperature got down to 30 degrees Fahrenheit at night. I wore a hat and mittens every night. And remember, these children don’t have heaters. A blanket would be a very nice gift for them. Not only will it keep them warm, but it will let them know that someone in the world cares about them.

Kascares2
  • What
    Knit one 8″ square, and then knit another one, and another one . . . You don’t have to make the whole blanket. KASCare will put all the squares together for you. But you can send as many squares as you can make.
  • How
    If you don’t know how to knit, the best way to learn is to have someone teach you in person. Take a class at your local yarn store or try to find an experienced knitter to help you. Or try this basic knitting tutorial.
  • Where
    Mail your finished squares to this address in South Africa:
    Knit a Square Soweto Comfort Club
    Private Bag X900
    Bryanston 2021
    South Africa
  • When
    Anytime. Right now!

Think how cool it would be to get a whole group of people all knitting squares. Talk it up and start a knitting club at your church or Scout troop. Ask your principal if you can start a club at school where kids knit during recess or after school. Knitting is really fun, AND you will be doing something to make the world a better place!

Leave a Comment and let us know if you are a knitter, and if you are inspired to help the AIDS orphans.

1. CatCassie:

In fact, I think I”ll even make them little dolly things. Count me in! (In my spare time, that is.)

2. DawnAngel32

Sweeeeeeeeeeet! I have been knitting for a few years now. I love it, I’m really good at it, and I’m always looking for new stuff to do, so I may very possibly try it, and I have a TON of friends who like to knit, so I’ll ask them if they want to help too!

3. emeraldfire19

What if I can crochet? I have started a blanket a long long time ago and I was wondering if I could send that in along with a couple hats?

4. Melissa

I don’t know how to knit and that tutorial looks kind of hard, but I have a hat making kit that makes all kinds of sizes of beanie hats like the kids are wearing in the picture. Could I send THOSE in?

5. orangephoenix13

OH, poor little guyz. I’m sending a mass e-mail to all my contacts to see if they can help!! ;D

6. aquabooks99

@dawn how is the hp vs. twilight debate relevant to aids orphans in africa? You might want to try the buzz board if you want to debate this…

7. dizzyferret

I think I already have some blankets just sitting around that I’ve knitted before. I’m totally sending them over!

8. FASHIONPINK301

I am really sorry for them poor little kids: I always send them clothing and I am going to knit them a whole blanket

9. athenaflying4

Hi my sister knows how to knit i’ll ask her but if I did know I WOULD LOVE TO HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. aquabooks99

This sounds like a great thing to work on! Out of curiosity (and because my parents want to know) how much is the postage? Do any of the mods know?

11. candycheery14

borrowing my grandma’s kitting equipment.I guess I’m going to have to record that new episoide of american idol!!!!!!!!!!!

12. SM

Hi,I think it’s sweet how you are actually giving suggestions on making the Earth a better place. I’m thinking of creating a club where kids will be inspired and hopefully will help with changing people’s lives, and saving the world.

13. Mady

I know how to knit a little. I don’t know how to make the shape of underarms and neck parts but I can definitely make squares.However, I’m not a kid. :( I’m an adult.I think my daughter is still too little(7) to learn though. I might do this on her behalf. :)

14. PianoGirl6

Just a quick blurb for all you guys and girls… why not make this as a school-wide project? More squares=more blankets. Tell your teachers and friends!