February 10, 2012

Josh Hutcherson in Journey 2

Posted by at 12:29 am in Celebrities | Permalink

Journey1

The new 3D adventure Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (rated PG) begins when seventeen-year-old Sean Anderson (Josh Hutcherson) receives a coded distress signal from a mysterious island where no island should exist. Unable to stop him from tracking the signal to its source, Sean’s new stepfather, Hank (Dwayne Johnson), joins the quest that will take them first to the South Pacific, and then to a place few people have ever seen . . . or lived to tell about.

Josh Hutcherson was here to tell us a bit more about the movie. (PS. He also talked about his role as Peeta in The Hunger Games, but you will have to wait until March to read that part of the interview!)

Q: Tell me about Sean in Journey 2. How did you prepare for the role?
Josh: Well Sean, I understand, he’s very similar to the same character that was in Journey to the Center of the Earth. But this kind of furthers Sean. He’s a little more adventurous; he’s grown up some. Basically, he’s kind of trapped in this life in Dayton, Ohio, living with his step-dad and his mom. And he wants to be out exploring like he did before. Basically, he gets this radio signal from what he believes to be his grandfather from this place called “the Mysterious Island.” He and his grandfather go there to explore what it’s all about.

Q: The character is adventurous. Do you relate to that part of him?
Josh: Very much so. Sean is very much an extension of who I am. He’s a little more, kind of, gung-ho and younger than I am, but I think that he and I are very much the same in the adventurous aspect. I’m always down to go and try to find some new uncharted place or go backpacking in the mountains or something like that. I’m very much up for an adventure as well.

Q: Did you have to do stunts?
Josh: Yeah, there were quite a few stunts. I mean, almost every day was us having to run through a jungle, or run away from creatures, or find a way to climb down some cliff, or something. There was a lot of physicality involved with this movie.

Q: What is your favorite scene from the movie?
Josh: When we first crash land on the Mysterious Island, the way it was shot was sort of ominous looking and mysterious, and we didn’t really know what was going on. I like the way that was done a lot, and I actually saw it cut together. It looks really cool. That was definitely my favorite scene.

Q: What would your dream trip or vacation be?
Josh: Oh man. . . About a year and a half ago, I actually took a road trip across the country with my friends, and we just sort of took our time and went camping actually the whole way across. That was really great, but I’m all about trying to find something that nobody’s every really found before. So, any kind of hiking, backpacking sort of trip is definitely something that I’m up for.

Q: Did you know your costar, Vanessa Hudgens, before the film?
Josh: No. I had met her a couple of times at random events, but I never actually hung out with her before. But we hit it off right away. We’re super close and we’re virtually the same person. We’re both very outgoing and adventurous. We’re both always down to have a good time and make the best out of any situation. So, we got along very well.

Journey2

Q: Do you have any tricks to establishing a rapport with your co-stars, particularly when it’s going to be a romantic angle?
Josh: Not really, I just sort of fly by the seat of my pants. I always try to be myself as much as possible. That’s one of my core beliefs as a person. I think that’s what transcends into my friendships. If you’re really straightforward and honest and genuine with people . . . Those are the people I usually gravitate towards, so I figured if I’m like that, hopefully, they’ll return the favor and be genuine and real with me too.

Q: Why do you think people are going to like this movie?
Josh: It’s a really fun adventure. From start to finish, you’re always wondering what’s going to happen next. There’s a little bit of peril; you’re rooting for these characters to make it through. Also the character arcs some of the characters take are really great. Especially Sean and his stepfather, because when they first go on the trip, they are kind of butting heads and they’re at odds. By the end, they really come together, and I think that that’s a story people will be able to relate to very well.

Journey3

It sounds totally fun and adventure-y! Leave a Comment to tell us what you think. AND, come back here on March 23 to read Josh’s thoughts about being Peeta!

Interview by Marie Morreale

1. chattyshell6

I watched this movie and it was absolutely amazing ( thanks to Josh!(Vanessa Hudgens messed it up!))

2. fonzie

I loved the movie and I am reading treusure iland so just two more books and I recomend this movie and book.

3. orangesoccer23

i love this movie , its one of the best movies ever! i cant wait till it comes out on dvd. i am going to get it!

4. CobraAzure8

WoW, looks like a really sweet movie! I can’t wait to see it, I also read the Hunger Games Trilogy……….I loooooove them! And only 7 days till the Hunger Games movie comes out! YAY!
    Lucian OUT

5. Browniefashion36

You will toadally rock this movie. By the way i loved that you and the girl in journey2 ended happily.

6. Bloodhoundblack404

I what to watch this movie so bad. For two reasens #1 theres elephants on the movie and#2 there a cute guy in it.:)

7. BULLDOGBLACK274

I think that he is very cute and that he will be a great and wounderful role for peeta.me and my friends are playing the hunger games at school and at home we have a lot of fun. but we DO NOT play in REAL LIFE!!!!! :-)

8. BULLDOGBLACK274

I think he is very cute.I think that he will be a wounderful and great role for The Hunger Games.me and my friends are playing the hunger games but NOT in REAL LIFE!! i really hop u do good for the role. :-)

9. BULLDOGBLACK274

i think he will be so cute in The Hunger Games .he is very for the role peeta .me and my frieds are playing a game and it is the hunger games .but NOT in reallife. :-)

10. blackdragon530

i am soooooooooooooo excited for the hunger games!i even have the mockingjay pin and never take it off!!!

11. JesusFREAK

i saw this movie. it was neat how the big animals were small and the small animals were big. i now want a pet tiny elephant!! Cute! :) it was nice to be able to take my mind off reality for an hour and a half. Josh is a great actor.

12. meanKITTY

OMG I LOVE JOSH HUTCHERSON HE IS UPER CUTE CANT WAIT FOR THE HUNGER GAMES TEAM #PEETE I LOVED THE MOVIE JOURNEY 2:MYSTERIES ISLAND IT AS EPIC IN 3D

13. bulldogangel16

I was so stoked to see the movie and since I am home schooled we went on valentines day and it was AWSOME!!!!!!!!!But I chickend out when I saw that giant spider and made me spill half of my nerds!But it was still AWSOME!It is a must see!

14. basketballhockey6

I want to see the movie. It looks really good from the commercials. I can’t wait to see it because it is also in 3-D

15. Dawn

IF IT’S NOT TWILIGHT… OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MY
    GGGGOOOSHHHH. PEOPLE COME ON
    THERE SHOULD BE MORE VAMPIRE
    MOVIES. GET IT. OMG!!!!

16. ablebird22

Oh MY GOSH!!!!!! I was so con-fused like oMG. Plus it is “read” not “red” hunger games. I was stoked when it started but the movie was el-creepo-peepo. It is amazing what people will do for money. PS I attend private school.

17. gymnasticshurricane3

I haven’t seen it yet but totally going to see it this weekend! Looks so adventurous! Also Vanessa Hudgens is in it! Not tlike that really matters

18. WolfJourney11

I SAW THE MOVIE THE NIGHT IT CAME OUT!!!! IT WAS SOOOOOOOOOO AWESOME!!!!!! It’s my new second favorite movie!!!! My first is Star Wars 2. I can’t wait to read the rest! Anyways, Journey 2 is really awesome and funny and it’s # 1 on my top 10 things to watch this year!

19. BeastlyBlack66

I LOVE YOU JOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. dragonblack175

I can`t wait to see the movie it looks so awsome in 3D.Some people in my class saw this movie.The boy is so cute.This movie should be cool,and really,really funny.

21. Emma

I LOVE THE HUNGER GAMES!!! AND JOSH HUTCHERSON!!!!!! HE IS AWESOME> I CANT WAIT TO SEE THIS MOVIE AND THE HUGER GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. Emily K

i think sean you are playing and your stepdad being played by dwayne johnson can relate to people in real life great message have fun on the set of journy 2 and hunger games!

23. Emily K

thats really cool you can be in this movie i think it is going to be fun for u i agree and think people can relate to this movie and sean your playing and your stepdad being played by Dwayne johnson

24. horseracing8

omg its peeta cant wait for the hunger games i dont want to see journey 2 till i see the hunger to see josh as an actor

25. Dramaclub143

It sounds very Inresting becuse i hear that it adventure and it is cool the book should come out next becuse if that came out that would total be cool