January 30, 2012

Writing Prompt: Life-Changing Books

Posted by at 1:35 am in Writing Prompt | Permalink

Writingprompt_bookWrite On! Life-Changing Books

This week’s Write On! Writing Prompt is a deep one, so take some time to reflect and think. Splotter cnahk asks:

What are your stories of hope and inspiration? Why do you read? What are your Life-Changing Books?

Hmm . . . that’s a tough one. I read because I love it. And that means so many things to me. Like, books take me to a different place. They teach me, entertain me, cheer me up, inspire me, challenge me, and make me smarter. Reading has always been a part of me, I guess! I love Middle Eastern-themed books that tell of different people’s struggles there. I also vividly remember To Kill a Mockingbird jolting my life when I was 12 years old.

What about you guys? Let cnahk and all of us know your deepest thoughts in the Comments below!

— Ratha, STACKS Writer

1. AthenaArtemis1

I read because it is a comftorable feeling. It also takes me places that don’t even exist and lets my imagination soar. Reading takes my mind on adventures.

2. karen1204

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo awesome!

3. Onyxfairy5

books are like sanctuaries to me, i escape to hogwarts or to camp half-blood when i just am overwhelmed with the reality of this wrld, i guess, in a book the fact that anything is possible really is comforting in a way.

4. Gwyn

I read because it lets you enter a world of your own. You can let your mind wonder, and think about things you don’t even realize were on your mind. It relaxes my brain, and let’s all the worries fade away. Books are like dreams. Unexpected, and full of imagination. A world without books would be like a world without…well, purpose.

5. dragonphoenix59

When I read, it’s like I’m transported to another world. I can travel around the world just by reading. I like books which can make me feel like I’m right there with the characters, sharing the same emotions. I haven’t found a life-changing book yet…

6. brad101

my favorite book(s) is the on-the-run. they are about 2 kids and there parents are wrongly convicted for aiding, abetting, and harboring terrorists and were sent to maximum security prison and there kids to a correctional kerning center. they focuses more on them committing crimes than they are disproving

7. pinkmusic60

i read three cups of tea last month,it is a story of a man who built schools for childern. when i think of that story i think of how lucky i am.i read books like this to help me understand other peoples problems and to try to help them.

8. CrimsonTeal4

I have always liked to read, but now I have opened my world outside of Earth. This is going to sound really corny, but just like in the book Inkheart, when I read a good book, I let go of reality and… I’m there. I’m in Wilbur’s pasture beside Fern (Charlotte’s Web). I’m watching Katniss save Peeta (The Hunger Games). I’m on a bus with Mibs and her friends (Savvy), I’m just there. If anyone reading this post has ever read a good book, they know exactly what I’m talking about. If you still think reading is a waste of time, read Savvy by Ingrid Law, Inkheart by Cornelia Funke, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, or Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White. Then ask yourself if reading is a waste of time. Your answer, no doubt, will be no.

9. Grace m

Life changing bOoks?well not axactly life changing but good..the Inheritance series is good..it made me realize that friends matter alot…like saphira i have a best friend except she’s in human form.;)

10. dolphinbrain37

THE REASON I READ IS BECAUSE IT TAKES ME SOMEWHERE WHEN I HAVE TO STAY WHERE I AM AND I LOVE BOOKS THAT ARE VERY INSPIRATIONAL AND IT IS VERY HEARTFELT AND MAKES YOU THINK WHAT IF I WAS IN THAT EXACT SITUATION AND WHAT WOULD I DO TO SOLVE THAT PROBLEM

11. Miranda

I read because it’s a way to leave the world without taking a step out of the room you are in. One of my all-time favorite books is Coraline. It inspires me to imagine, and know that everything is not what it seems.

12. Raegen

somtimes when I read it feels like I am in the story . And somtimes you have all of these questions flowing in my head . It is crazy! And somtimes the end of the book does not turn out how you whant . And every one will find a book that they will like, trust me . I LOVE TO READ!!!!

13. Jason

I love to read Gary Paulsen’s book Tracker because it talks about tracking a deer and I like to hunt deer, it taught me some facts about hunting and tracking a deer.

14. Grace

The book that changed my life is called The Palace Of Mirrors By:Margret Peterson Haddix.I think it’s the best book in the world because when i read it, it makes me feel like i am actaully in the book. I have read many books in my life but none like this.
    See you later:)

15. coby

i love to read because it settles me down. My favrite book is Tracker by Gary Paulsen. I love to read his books because it talkes about hunting. It teaches me some facks about tracking deer.

16. robbie

the book that has really changed my life is How I Became A Writer and All of the twilight books I want to be a writer when I grow up I already write stories now. My ultimate favorite authors are Phyllis Reynolds Naylor who wrote How I Became A Writer Stephanie Myeres who wrote the twilight series and Sharon Creech who wrote alot of books reading and writing we just kind of click thanks to my favorite teacher of all time she made me see me for who I a really am thanks reading and writing took me to a whole new level or world and I absoloutly love it but all I ask is who do reading and writing do it!!!!!!!!!! Sometimes I just Don’t get it in a good way.

17. Adam

My life changing book was starwars: Fate of the Jedi By Troy Dennings,becuase when I read this book i was in a happier place when they were saving peoples lives and when people were protesting for freedom to stand up for their selves.

18. Macie

I guess that I don’t realy have a problem with figuring what books are inspirational or life changing books. For me books like the Freedom Train and Clara Barton. For me Clara Barton is inspirational because Clara started out as just a small girl taking care of her injured brother and then grows up to be the founder of the American Red Cross Association. The Freedom Train is kind of a life changing book because it helps you understand more of how the slaves were treated and all the secrets and fears that they have to hold inside because there afraid of what the masters would do to them and there familys.
    I read books like these because it’s almost as if it’s a movie and the description and emotions are so realistic that it’s like I’m apart of that movie.

19. Krista

My story of hope and inspiration is a book called How I Became A Writer by Phillis Renoalds Naylor. And books by Mary Downing Hahn inspire me to write scary books or stories. I read because I love reading scary books and any other good book. My life-changing books are books about a girl’s life no matter if it’s scary or a good book. I LOVE READING!
    -Krista

20. sierra

hi im sierra and why i read is because it keeps me focest and also what i like about books is all those subtitles.and plus i love diary of the wimpy kid-by Jeff kiney.and the books that i am reading are about sports the reason why i am reading about sports so i can learn about football.people may not no it but books can change your lives. the book that changed my life was—ULTIMATE GUIDE TO FOOTBALL BY JAMES BUCKLEY JR, I THINK HE IS SUCH A WONDERFUL arthur and i love the passage that you put up