January 30, 2012

Writing Prompt: Life-Changing Books

Posted by at 1:35 am in Writing Prompt | Permalink

Writingprompt_bookWrite On! Life-Changing Books

This week’s Write On! Writing Prompt is a deep one, so take some time to reflect and think. Splotter cnahk asks:

What are your stories of hope and inspiration? Why do you read? What are your Life-Changing Books?

Hmm . . . that’s a tough one. I read because I love it. And that means so many things to me. Like, books take me to a different place. They teach me, entertain me, cheer me up, inspire me, challenge me, and make me smarter. Reading has always been a part of me, I guess! I love Middle Eastern-themed books that tell of different people’s struggles there. I also vividly remember To Kill a Mockingbird jolting my life when I was 12 years old.

What about you guys? Let cnahk and all of us know your deepest thoughts in the Comments below!

— Ratha, STACKS Writer

1. AthenaAuthor22

The book that is my hope and inspiration is The Shack by Wm. Paul Young. I read because it takes me away from reality. My life changing book is the same as my hope and inspiration.

2. werewolfcat5

Books inspire me to do well in school and other things.I also learn a lot of information from them.I read because I love books and they take me to imaginary places that I can imagine.The book that changed my life was the first chapter book I got from my cousin.I read it and it was pretty good.So thanks to my cousin,I now love books!

3. Haley

Reading is a gateway to a new universe, one designed just for me. A life-changing book for me would have to be Lord of the Flies by William Golding. Even though it was extremely difficult to understand, Golding made some excellent points about human nature.

4. cloudcloud24

reading makes me feel like i could do anyhing i want or go back in time or to get intotch with my past and helps to form my future

5. cloudcloud24

one book that really changed my life was the littlr house on the prairie series of books by laura ingals wilder.These books were the first novels i ever read, or really any book because when i was younger i couldn’t read then when i was in third grade my mom prayed for me and then jesus christ my savior and comforter changed my life.

6. Livvi

I read books because I can get away from whatever’s going on in the real world. Spending a couple minutes in someone else’s life can really cheer you up. When I’m reading, I’m in a different world, a world where everyone is happy, and where I know there will always be a happy ending. It’s nice to know that, no matter how bad the mood I’m in, someone, somewhere, even if they’re fictional, are having the best time ever.
    Books have changed my life, in SO many ways. I don’t know what the world would be like without books.
    I have too many favorite books to list, but almost all books I have picked up have been worth reading a second time (if not more). :)

7. Mikayla

my life changing book is Harry Potter because it has to do with magic. Magic is the top thing I like to read. Plz publish more books about this topic.

8. Rachel

The two books that changed my life were The Lightning Thief and The Hunger Games. There are so many things that would be different in my life if I had not read those books. I would practically be a different person. I will always love those books and will probably pass them on to my children if I have any.

9. Ley56

There is one book series. In fact I don’t know how I LIVED without it. It’s Animorphs. It has taught me to look at life differanly. The charactors have rubbed off. I still have yet to experiance full rachel mode.

10. firegirl3

the most life changing book i have read is the hunger games (the whole serise ) it is my all time favorit book and i feel like i have been transported into the charicters shoes . reading is the only place i can forget my troubles and enjoy my self and the hunger games made me do that . it emotionaly scard me at times but was so sweet it was the BEST best book i have ever read .i can never look at things the same and in ever conversation i mention it

11. kim

hmm. Honestly i love to read
    but one book i would have say i really enjoy is the hunger games. why? you may ask is because when i read it makes me feel like i am
    escaping the world.

12. AthenaArtemis1

I read because it is a comftorable feeling. It also takes me places that don’t even exist and lets my imagination soar. Reading takes my mind on adventures.

13. karen1204

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo awesome!

14. Onyxfairy5

books are like sanctuaries to me, i escape to hogwarts or to camp half-blood when i just am overwhelmed with the reality of this wrld, i guess, in a book the fact that anything is possible really is comforting in a way.

15. Gwyn

I read because it lets you enter a world of your own. You can let your mind wonder, and think about things you don’t even realize were on your mind. It relaxes my brain, and let’s all the worries fade away. Books are like dreams. Unexpected, and full of imagination. A world without books would be like a world without…well, purpose.

16. dragonphoenix59

When I read, it’s like I’m transported to another world. I can travel around the world just by reading. I like books which can make me feel like I’m right there with the characters, sharing the same emotions. I haven’t found a life-changing book yet…

17. brad101

my favorite book(s) is the on-the-run. they are about 2 kids and there parents are wrongly convicted for aiding, abetting, and harboring terrorists and were sent to maximum security prison and there kids to a correctional kerning center. they focuses more on them committing crimes than they are disproving

18. pinkmusic60

i read three cups of tea last month,it is a story of a man who built schools for childern. when i think of that story i think of how lucky i am.i read books like this to help me understand other peoples problems and to try to help them.

19. CrimsonTeal4

I have always liked to read, but now I have opened my world outside of Earth. This is going to sound really corny, but just like in the book Inkheart, when I read a good book, I let go of reality and… I’m there. I’m in Wilbur’s pasture beside Fern (Charlotte’s Web). I’m watching Katniss save Peeta (The Hunger Games). I’m on a bus with Mibs and her friends (Savvy), I’m just there. If anyone reading this post has ever read a good book, they know exactly what I’m talking about. If you still think reading is a waste of time, read Savvy by Ingrid Law, Inkheart by Cornelia Funke, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, or Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White. Then ask yourself if reading is a waste of time. Your answer, no doubt, will be no.

20. Grace m

Life changing bOoks?well not axactly life changing but good..the Inheritance series is good..it made me realize that friends matter alot…like saphira i have a best friend except she’s in human form.;)

21. dolphinbrain37

THE REASON I READ IS BECAUSE IT TAKES ME SOMEWHERE WHEN I HAVE TO STAY WHERE I AM AND I LOVE BOOKS THAT ARE VERY INSPIRATIONAL AND IT IS VERY HEARTFELT AND MAKES YOU THINK WHAT IF I WAS IN THAT EXACT SITUATION AND WHAT WOULD I DO TO SOLVE THAT PROBLEM

22. Miranda

I read because it’s a way to leave the world without taking a step out of the room you are in. One of my all-time favorite books is Coraline. It inspires me to imagine, and know that everything is not what it seems.

23. Raegen

somtimes when I read it feels like I am in the story . And somtimes you have all of these questions flowing in my head . It is crazy! And somtimes the end of the book does not turn out how you whant . And every one will find a book that they will like, trust me . I LOVE TO READ!!!!

24. Jason

I love to read Gary Paulsen’s book Tracker because it talks about tracking a deer and I like to hunt deer, it taught me some facts about hunting and tracking a deer.

25. Grace

The book that changed my life is called The Palace Of Mirrors By:Margret Peterson Haddix.I think it’s the best book in the world because when i read it, it makes me feel like i am actaully in the book. I have read many books in my life but none like this.
    See you later:)

26. coby

i love to read because it settles me down. My favrite book is Tracker by Gary Paulsen. I love to read his books because it talkes about hunting. It teaches me some facks about tracking deer.

27. robbie

the book that has really changed my life is How I Became A Writer and All of the twilight books I want to be a writer when I grow up I already write stories now. My ultimate favorite authors are Phyllis Reynolds Naylor who wrote How I Became A Writer Stephanie Myeres who wrote the twilight series and Sharon Creech who wrote alot of books reading and writing we just kind of click thanks to my favorite teacher of all time she made me see me for who I a really am thanks reading and writing took me to a whole new level or world and I absoloutly love it but all I ask is who do reading and writing do it!!!!!!!!!! Sometimes I just Don’t get it in a good way.

28. Adam

My life changing book was starwars: Fate of the Jedi By Troy Dennings,becuase when I read this book i was in a happier place when they were saving peoples lives and when people were protesting for freedom to stand up for their selves.

29. Macie

I guess that I don’t realy have a problem with figuring what books are inspirational or life changing books. For me books like the Freedom Train and Clara Barton. For me Clara Barton is inspirational because Clara started out as just a small girl taking care of her injured brother and then grows up to be the founder of the American Red Cross Association. The Freedom Train is kind of a life changing book because it helps you understand more of how the slaves were treated and all the secrets and fears that they have to hold inside because there afraid of what the masters would do to them and there familys.
    I read books like these because it’s almost as if it’s a movie and the description and emotions are so realistic that it’s like I’m apart of that movie.

30. Krista

My story of hope and inspiration is a book called How I Became A Writer by Phillis Renoalds Naylor. And books by Mary Downing Hahn inspire me to write scary books or stories. I read because I love reading scary books and any other good book. My life-changing books are books about a girl’s life no matter if it’s scary or a good book. I LOVE READING!
    -Krista

31. sierra

hi im sierra and why i read is because it keeps me focest and also what i like about books is all those subtitles.and plus i love diary of the wimpy kid-by Jeff kiney.and the books that i am reading are about sports the reason why i am reading about sports so i can learn about football.people may not no it but books can change your lives. the book that changed my life was—ULTIMATE GUIDE TO FOOTBALL BY JAMES BUCKLEY JR, I THINK HE IS SUCH A WONDERFUL arthur and i love the passage that you put up

32. hunter

My awesome book I love to read is called “Animorphs series” where these kids meet an alien in the first book so they help him by touching a cube which gives them special powers that when they touch any animal and think about morphing they can turn into that creature and that is why I want to read all day and night until I literally make myself fall asleep!!!

33. Rachel

The book that changed my life was called “Hattie Big Sky”I am reading this book right now. The author is Kirby Larson.It is a really great and discriptive book!!I would really recommend this book.

34. Tristian

Books changed my life because it helped me on tests and undersanding charecters in the BONE seires and in other books that I read on my free time and at school. Books really helped me unterstand and help me visuallise whats going on and there really fun to read.

35. Hope

The Dear Dumb Diary is a funny book seris and its changed my life because its helps me feel like i had a diary of my own and it was like i was writing in it.the author is Jim Benton.

36. sierra

I read books because it makes me feel like im in my own world, like i ecscape all my troubles and i go to a fantsy land of my own. I also LOVE humor books, like Diary of a Wimpy Kid,and Captin Underpants, those are the books that helped me have such a good sense of humor. Those books really changed my life.

37. Pierce

One of my live changeing books is a that is very funny. I used to hate to read. But oncse i read the Diary of a Wimpy Kid I loved to read ever sincen.

38. Austin

I love to read the Driay of a Wmpy Kid sieres. They have changed my whole life by knowing that some times little brother or big brothers can be a bad time or will not leave you allowen at all. The author to my Book is Jeff Kinney.
    He might of had a brother.

39. Taylor

the book Dork dairies has changed my life because it taught me not to let mean people think that there all cool and not to let my dad come to my school.

40. Courtney

I love to read it is one of my favorite things to do my favorite books are Greonimo stilton books they are all very interesting and exciting my sister also really loves to read it is one of her favorite things too.

41. kate

hmm. life-changing stories for me are dewey the library cat and because of winn-dixie. i read because it’s like livig in a world with a happy ending and adventure. who said you can’t control your life? u can in a book.

42. Tranaya

i know this book does seem a litle crazy but it helped see the world of fanasty and really encoureged most of my writing that is the james and the giant peach

43. Skyelark Moon

This is an awesome question!
    For me, no matter how funny this sounds, but my life changing book was actually Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Basically what happened was I absolutely disliked reading. I thought it was terrible. One day, I decided to read Harry Potter because I saw a movie of it on TV. I had seen the first two movies, and in my library the Prizoner of Azkaban was behind the Goblet of Fire, so I checked it out. When I finally finished the book, I then read 5,6,7,2,3,1. Now? I LOVE reading, it is my whole life. Thanks to Harry Potter, I am now the person who I am today. :)
    -Skyelark Moon

44. Annasophia

Books that changed y life were a series called Mustang mountain. The character are very interesting. I like to compare the setting to where I used to live.

45. pearpearthe14th

Why do I read? Books take me to a different setting, place, time… Vicariously, I meet people–friends, even–and experience things I would otherwise never have had the oppurtunity to. A good book is like stepping into another world… And that world has the power to change my emotions–make me feel sad, happy, romantic, frusterated, angry, even. It can change the way I view the world, and the people in it. I can’t name a specific life-changing book at the moment, but I will say this: books have greatly enriched my life.

46. Josue

Arthur read because I enjoy his world’s creativity and neighborhood and it makes me wish real life places were like this too…I also wanted my life interesting and full of mystery like Arthur because the world is filled with so much adventure and fun

47. Darkfairy35

For me it would probably be Chinese Cinderella by Adeline Ye Mah, and book 2, Falling Leaves by Adeline Ye Mah. Because this story of her life made me realize how lucky I was and how that no matter what happens, there is always someone in a worse situation.
    WOW. I thought WAY WAY too much about that answer.
    *leaves to go watch her new awesome pet chickens!!!*

48. Melissa

I read because it makes me feel like somebody cares about what i like to do. When I read the perfect book It feels like somebody made it just for me. A life changing book I read was “Esperanza Rising” because it told me that there are other people out there that are suffering from loss of something.

49. pegausathena1

I read because I can escape the troubles of this world and join the hero through his/her struggles.I read books that have charactes that go through struggles like mine but also crazy out of this world ones. My life changing books would be Harry Potter because I learned about friends and what they should be and how to deal with freind and it brought me and a friend closer together.

50. Hiphoph

Hmmm…Life Changing books for me are true stories. Books that have changed my life include all of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books and other stories, like Dewey: the Library Cat.

51. Deniz

I read because while Iwas reading I’m living.Inside a book I can see that I’m beeing the auxiliary character.I know that character will always be in my life and help me with the difficulties.My life changing books are Harry Potter series cause they showed me that nothing is not what it seems.