January 26, 2012

Kid Power! Overcoming Fear

Posted by at 4:11 am in Kid Power | Permalink

MakeadifferenceKid Power! Kids can make a difference! Every Thursday on Ink Splot 26, we'll show you a new idea for how YOU can make the world a better place.

One day when I was younger, a chihuahua chased me down the street and bit me. Ever since that day, I have feared and hated dogs. If a dog was close to me, I would move away as fast as possible, or go to the other side of the street because I was afraid.

But, recently, my sister bought a puppy, and I was forced to live with a dog in my house. My sister told me to pet the dog. She is small, so I wasn't that scared, and I did it. The puppy was so nice and loving, and she did not attack me. That's when I realized I really like this puppy!

I started taking care of the puppy, taking her out on walks, and taking her to the veterinarian for check-ups. Slowly I started to find love. Now, I love her so much, and I would do anything for her.

My friends are still surprised that I am no longer afraid of dogs. It was a long process, but I did it. I set my mind to stop being afraid. I confronted my fear, and I conquered it.

You can too! Is there something you are afraid of? You have the power to conquer it! Think about it and see if you can't come up with a way to confront your fear. Take a chance! It could change your life.

Leave a Comment to let me know how it goes. I'm rooting for you!

image from kids.scholastic.comGlory, Scholastic Intern (a.k.a. CupcakeChateau4)

1. monkeyblue558

when you have fear its always good to try to face your trobles.because when you do you feel better about yourself and other things.you should always learn that fear can be hard but sometimes you just have to show people your stronger than that and nothing will let you down.

1. monkeyblue558

remember not all dogs are mean some dogs can be really nice,playfull,and loveable.dont let your fears get to you. sometimes its always good to try new things like dont get near a dog thats growling at you just back up and go the other direction. just wanted to give you advice.got to bounce.

2. katie

sup …… here………………………… HHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. YouBugMe

im not really scared of anything but the best thing to do is face your fear. If you keep running away it will haunt your life. And if its scary books or movies your scared of, remember they are just made up.

4. Grace m

I was always scared of sitting on the front seat the ship ride that swings back and forth…on the food festival at my school,my best friend made me sit in the first seat…i had so much fun…i felt like i was flying(my friend nearly flew off the ride)i wanted to do it all again!

5. Hiphoph

A great way to overcome a fear is to put yourself near it. I saw a show where they had the person have pictures of spiders, toy spiders and a pet tarantula in their room to get used to them.

6. bashfulcat16

yeah, i used to be scard but my dad said that i can’t get a cat unless i can servive a dog so i know what you mean!

7. Madison

I’m claustrophobic. I can’t be in small spaces such as bathrooms and cars for more than a few minutes. I could never even play hide and seek when i was younger.

8. athenacupid27

I used to watch and read all of these mysteries about murderer and they were giving me nightmares so I was scared but I cant stop reading them what shall I do?

9. BlueBlue1187

I have always been afraid of getting bad grades. My mom said not to be so hard on myself and now, the lowest grade I’ve gotten on a report card was a 91%. Everything else has been 96% or higher. :) I’m so glad I took her advice.

10. Onyxfairy5

well, i guess i was sorta afraid of well, roller coasters but when i went to seaworld with my cousins my aunt and i just got in line for the front seat on steel eel and we tried not to think about it and just kept a light conversation until the ride started, i knew that if i thought about it too much i would get of right away! that was my first coaster and i luuved it! now ill probably go on any!

11. DREAMTIMEPINK9

Sometimes I see something that scares me and I hide under my blankets until it goes away. I sometimes listen to Christian music to help me fall back to sleep. I even have very bad dreams that sometimes I
    cry before even falling back to sleep.