January 20, 2012

Cody Simpson

Posted by at 12:26 pm in Celebrities, Music | Permalink

Cody

Cody Simpson!

Many of you are already big fans of the Australian singer/songwriter Cody Simpson. His CD came out last year featuring the single “On My Mind,” and he toured in the summer of 2011 with Greyson Chance. He just turned 15 on January 11, and now he is headlining his own sold-out tour in the U.S. and Canada. We sat down with him to get the scoop on his music and more!

Q: Did you have any idea when you first put a video up on YouTube that you would get discovered? Cody: No. Being in Australia, you always think of the music industry as being like an American thing, like it’s on the other side of the world, like it could never happen. Then I discovered this thing called YouTube. I didn’t have any intentions to become a singer professionally. I love to sing and stuff, but it just hadn’t really crossed my mind. I’m grateful that it’s happened and it’s just real fun. I love it.

Q: How did your friends from home react when you got discovered?
Cody: Sixth grade was. . . I went through a little bit of bullying. I wouldn’t call it like bullying-bullying, but having chosen something that not many other teenage boys think is cool, like singing and stuff, I did get teased a little for doing this. And then I was like moving to America, and I was like, “See you guys. I’m leaving.” But it’s funny now that a lot of them are trying to be my friend. So, I always just stick to my friends who were my friends before, and so I always know that they’re the ones who were there from the beginning.

Q: What was it like touring with Greyson Chance last summer?
Cody: It was cool! He’s very funny. He’s a great kid and a great guy. He’s become a great friend of mine. Being on the tour bus together, we played PlayStation and skateboarded and stuff like normal kids. We did school together. I’m in ninth grade. He’s in seventh or eighth so we did different work, but we were always together.

Q: You and your sister visited children at the hospital. What was that like?
Cody: Yes, we were in Boston and we visited the Children’s Hospital and it was a little bit overwhelming. Going to hospitals is always overwhelming because you see so many kids that are very unfortunate, so we wanted to make sure we did something special. I’m working with Pastry shoes and my sister is doing the campaign for Pastry shoes. I can’t wear them because they’re female shoes, but we gave everyone a pair of shoes, and I sang a few songs and stuff. It was cool to see the kids smiling, you know, even if it was just for the three minutes that I was in there singing. That’s one of the coolest things doing what I’m doing because you know you have so much power to make people happy. And that’s pretty much what I do it for, so it’s cool.

Q: What was it like hearing your song at the movie premiere of Hop?
Cody: I sing the theme song to that movie – “I Want Candy.” It was very cool. That was my first time working with a movie. They contacted us and wanted me to remake the song, and it was such a classic. I’d heard it so many times. So it was cool to put my own spin on it!

Q: You now have Cody Crunch cereal. How many bowls have you eaten?
Cody: Um. . . One. We try to keep it healthy. Sugary cereals are like my favorite thing to eat, but I can’t always eat it because it is very unhealthy. We tried to make it taste good but also have the nutrition.
Ratha: Watch out Cap’n Crunch – here comes Cody!
Cody: And it was one of my dreams. I’ve had two dreams. I wanted to have my own cereal and a bobblehead of myself. And one of them has come true. The second one we’re still working on.
Ratha: There is now a Cody Simpson doll, but sadly, his head does not bobble. You know you’re famous when you have your own bobblehead.

Q: You have performed for the President at the White House?
Cody: Yeah, I met the President! I actually woke up sick that morning and my throat was strained. It was sore. I got through the show. It worked out great. We met the President and his family, and that was one of the coolest experiences. I’d never been star-struck like that. I guess being a president makes you a celebrity, and I was very star-struck when I met President Obama.

Q: What books have influenced you?
Cody: I read this book with my dad called The Measure of a Man by Sidney Poitier and that was very inspiring. I like reading biographies, so I read the Justin Timberlake biography. That was very inspiring to me musically. And Michael Phelps’ No Limits. That was very inspiring to me with the dedication that he puts into his work. I also like to read adventure books. This Australian author named Matthew Reilly is a great, great author to me. My favorite one that he’s written is called Contest. And Harry Potter! Like, imagination-wise. J.K. Rowling has such a great creativity in her writing.

And there you have it on Cody Simpson. Look for lots more of him in 2012! Are you a fan? Drop a line and let us know in the Comments below!

— Ratha, STACKS Writer

Interview by Marie Morreale

1. pinkdog536

I LOVE HIM HE IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. HORSEJUMPING33

OMG! Cody Simpson is sooooooooooooooo cute. So is Justin Bieber. But he is totally NOT right for SElena Gomez.

3. julia

I don’t really know any of his songs and i don’t really know who he is but i read about him a few times in J-14 magazine and I guess he’s ok.

4. PianoGirl6

In my opinion, he’s a pretty great singer. He’s not “On My Mind” (get it?) all the time, but he’s a talented person. The best part is that his morals seem to be intact still.

5. morgan h

love cody today is a fine day just wanting to say i love cody ha lol love the music can’t wat tell school is out its ok i cant wat to listen to codys music it is so alsome my room is covered in posters of cody simpson i am a #1 fan bigger than eney one in the world except my sister she is crazy about him lol bye

6. megan

love this day so far ha just kidding love cody more haha my room is covered in posters of cody he is so cute today is alsome

7. megan

cody is number one yea got lots of tallent too every body loves him and his music #1 love you cody look at all the post you got from my friends and every body lol ha ha ha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. MEGAN

PURPLE JB I DISAGREE I THINK CODY ROCKS BETTER MUSIC THAN JUSTIN TOO I THINK CODY IS #1 HE GOT MORE MUSIC THAN JUSTIN BEIBER AND TALLENT TOO

9. Amy

I LOVE him! but i’m not one of those girls who would faint if they saw him, and he is not my idol, because God is my idol.
    LOL!:)
    But he is still really cute. :o )

10. blueblue1828

happy late birthday cody!i am a fan of yours and i also like jb but u have a right to sing and dance.i think u are sooooooooooo cutie………
    love,blueblue1828

11. beebird327

HI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. ARTART1277

he is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cutttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttte

13. D

CODY SIMPSON IS THE BEST SINGER EVER SRRY JUSTIN BIEBER B.T.W. I WAS NEVER A FAN OF JUSTIN .CODY SIMPSON IS JUST TO CUTE AND I WISH I COULD MEET HIM OR GO TO HIS CONCERT FOR MY B-DAY

14. Ayra

I’m his #1 fan!!! I think Cody Simpson is awesome and for school I wrote a paragraph about him which got a 100! His songs are so awesome!!!! :)

15. Kaneice

Cody, when’s you BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. MELANIEG

hey cody i love you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much i love lve you like a lot you could make me a star and pluse i am really good at sanging

17. texasgirl96

my fave boy band is ONE DIRECTION there a british boy band and there super cute but justin bieber is way cue too JUSTIN BIEBER=best canadian singer ever

18. fairyblue43

i love him so much he is so cute i love is song his hair is so cute and the boy nexts to me like his hair and thinks he is cool lol it is true.

19. purpleartemis25

I LOOOOOOVE Cody Simpson! I mean he’s cute, he can sing and he’s Australian! And there’s nothing better than an imported celebrity… Except for Justin Beiber. I’m Canadian so not really foreign… lol

20. angelcake59

Cody is super cute he is one of my favorite singers………….i love u Cody Simpson u are so cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute

21. Bookworm287

I am not the biggest fan of Cody. But his music is good and how he became a star is amazing. Cody is positively a person to look up to if you want to become a star someday.

22. vaporwhirlwind

wiggidywagg on the flippside yyyyyooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. Brianna

I love cody and i know how it is to leave someplace and everyone wants to be tour friend after you leave which stinks but i know your pain and it is really weird when they try to befreind you after all the pain the put you through!

24. chattycrimson6

I, personally, prefer Greyson Chance. He’s a way better singer (and way cuter). Me = has a huge celeb crush on… guess who. *cough*Greyson*cough*Chance*

25. chasingcat29

O.M.G. I just listened to Cody’s song in E.L.P. (Extended Learning Program) he is like so super cute! I am one of his a-million-and-one fans! BOOYEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. justaprincess

Anyone who likes Harry Potter has my vote! :) But seriously, I think it’s great that he’s got the chances he has…

27. shorty96

LIKE CODY SIMPSON IS A GOOD SINGER AND ALL I ALSO LIKE GREYSON CHANCE AND JUSTIN BIEBER I THINK CODY DESERVES TO BE A SINGER HE WORKED HARD TO GET WERE HE IS AT