October 26, 2011

R.L. Stine Answers Your Questions!

Rlstine

A few weeks ago we asked you to write in your questions for the Master of Fright, Goosebumps author, R.L. Stine. He answered questions from 10 lucky readers, so read on to see if yours was chosen!

Q from SilverSnake: Which character do you think is most like you? Which character is most unlike you?
R.L. Stine: I like to think I’m like all my crazy characters—Slappy the dummy, who’s so rude and awful; Dr. Maniac; The Ooze; The Menace, the evil villain from HorrorLand. But in real life, I’m more like Evan, the poor kid who lets the Monster Blood loose and doesn’t have a clue how to defeat it.

Q from Raggweed: Since Goosebumps creeps me out, how can you not be scared, and keep making them? They freak even my older relatives out, so are you afraid of your own creations too?
R.L. Stine: Scary stuff NEVER scares me. Horror always makes me laugh instead. When I go to a scary movie, I don’t get scared—I just laugh. Same for writing Goosebumps books.

Q from Mysterygirl123: If you could be a monster for a day, what monster would you choose? Why? R.L. Stine: I would be a giant jellyfish from Deep Trouble because I like to swim a lot.

Q from ArtAthena13: What would you say to a kid who wants to be an author?
R.L. Stine: Write something every day. Keep a journal or a diary. And make sure you read a LOT!

Q from cnahk: Do you ever want to write something less scary?
R.L. Stine: I love writing funny books, too. That’s why I wrote the Rotten School book series. I also try to put a lot of funny stuff in Goosebumps.

Q from Niki: Who’s your favorite character? Why?
R.L. Stine: Slappy the evil dummy. I like writing all the insults and rude things he says to people.

Q from AstronomyAble3: Who is your inspiration and icon?
R.L. Stine: Many writers have inspired me. I think the sci-fi author Ray Bradbury was a big influence. Also, Rod Serling, who wrote The Twilight Zone.

Q from Lexi: Are you a prankster with scaring people?
R.L. Stine: No. Maybe I scared my little brother a few times when we were kids. But I’m not really into pranks and jokes. Too busy writing!

Q from CheerfulHeart15: What’s your favorite book of Goosebumps that you wrote? Were you good at telling ghost stories when you were young?
R.L. Stine: My favorite Goosebumps book is The Haunted Mask. I was too shy to tell ghost stories when I was a kid. I was a very quiet kid.

Q from OreoPie09: How do you come up with such creepy stuff and do you believe in ghosts?
R.L. Stine: I don’t know where the ideas come from. I’ve never seen a ghost—but I keep looking!

Q from Megan: Would you ever consider doing like a Nancy Drew type of book series for girls?
Q from Georgia: When you do your next book why not call it Zombieland?!
Q from NinjaCobra1: Why don’t you make a Goosebumps book about a boy who likes scary movies, and finds out that all the monsters are coming to life?
Nice ideas. Thanks for the suggestions.
– R.L.

1. Sarah B

If HorrorLand was a real place like an amusement park or
    Something would you ride all the rides? Which books do you like better goosebumps or fear street?

2. I_❤_RLStines

Hey I have read a lot of your books and I love them!
    I want to make a book just similar to yours. So I thought
    I could ask you for some advice?

3. Wicket

Dear R.L.Stine can you and scholastic make a fifth season of Goosebumps and more seasons in the future? I love the books and the show and it is a shame it ended, i wish there was more, also i heard night of the living dummy 1 was made into a episode and was to be released for a fifth season, but the show got cancelled and so it never aired is that true? I also heard that they never aired night of the living dummy 1 because it was too scary for children, is that rumor true? Also can you make Goosebumps movies based on the books for tv? Also i think it would be a good idea if there was a channell only airing Goosebumps, another question is Wally from the book Slappy nightmare Mr Wood? Also in the end of the book when Slappy wakes up and tells Jimmy he have a nightmare and Jimmy carries a package and tells Slappy sometimes dreams come true, is that Wally in the package? and if Wally is Mr Wood is that mean Mr Wood come back to life after night of the living dummy 1? and why Slappy doesn´t reconize him if he know who Mr Wood is?

4. harry

R.L. Stine can you ask Jack Black to make the Goosebumps movie based on the book night of the living dummy 1? Instead of the story of the movie being about him playing you and the characters of the stories he writes coming to life to haunt him? I think the movie would be better if it was based on the book night of the living dummy 1, the movie should be dark and scary and Mr Wood in that movie should be more terrifing than Slappy and i think it would be great if there was more Goosebumps movies on big screen after this one and all based on the books, i think the story of the movie been about Jack Black playing you and the characters of the stories he writes coming too life to haunt him is a bad idea, i don´t want the movie to be a kids comedy it will ruin goosebumps, i know Goosebumps is for kids but it was never a comedy, the dummys of Slappy and Mr Wood in the movie should be like they look like in the book, it would be even a better idea if you ask Jack Black to adapt night of the living dummy 1, 2 and 3 as one movie, please ask Jack Black to do that, i was a fan of the Goosebumps books and tv show in my teen years and i always will be, thanks for writing the Goosebumps books and making many fans happy.

5. Nick

I have lots of ideas
    Monster Cabinet- Two 9 year old boys move to a new house. They decide to play hide and go seak. One of them hides in a cabinet. He soon finds that he is trapped and that the cabinet is full of monsters.
    The Return of The Haunted Mask- Carly Beth finds her mask in her room and it tries to get revenge on her
    Dont Enter My Room- a 10 year old kid finds a warewolf in the forest and keeps it as a pet and hides it in his room and wont let anyone see it in his room

6. Nick

can you make a book where Slappy learns that there is another dummy that is more evil than him and he gets mad and wants to have a fight with him. And if you do can you call it Battle of the Living Dummies

7. Treondous

Which hair color did you like best for slappy the Dark brown hair from the books or the orange hair from the tv show?

8. C

I heard this new Goosebumps Most Wanted #2 Book is coming out next year.What year,mouth,and date does Son of Slappy come out?Because I’m DYING to read it!

9. witchunicorn5

TO awesomeguy,
    Goosebumps is not about blood.(no offense)
    Q:how does GOOSEBUMPS ever got published?? how can i get mine published?
    P.S.i may be a 10-year-old but i read more than 70 books and wrote many romantic,fiction,faery,not fairy but faery(people hu does magic frm Glamour)
    PLEASE REPLY!

1. Sarah B

It would be so cool if there was a Huanted house or something like that near Halloween and everything would be based on books it could be like the
      Haunted house in one of your books.

10. horuscentaur4

Goosebumps is simply awesome!!!! It always gives me the thrills and the chills! R L Stine excels himself. I am a big fan!!!!!!!

11. Izzy

im a good fan of R>L Stine I was wandering if i could be in a book
    A fan who has read almost the whole serise
    Izzy

12. Anaya

First of all I’m your biggest fan #1 I had to do a report on a famous person and I chose you!
    I was wondering if you could do a story on when a girl and her boy friend reads or talks about zombies, the zombies actually come and take over there city (small town). The sad part no one will believe them! Thank you! Please respond ASAP.

13. ACROBATICSGORGON3

Hey I loved your goosebumps and fear street books and I would like to know , if a monster or killer would come out of one of your books , who or what would you rather go to your house?

14. ZT2

Goosebumps is AWSOME! you should write a book about people go into a jungle but its full of mutants and aliens, and they realise some old goosebump monsters are back, that would be EPIC!

15. amusedbrain4

who do i write R.L.Stine a letter? Goosebumps books inspired me to be what i am today and i real want to tell R.L.Stine that he is my favorite writer

16. jake

is slappy from “slappy new year” the same one as “night of the living dummy?”and please dont stop making goosbumps books.and i think you should put even more mystery so i get a chill.

17. jake

i love your scream of the haunted mask books.its so misterious. I think your books are really interesting. in my school lirary they have few of your books an that is sad.

18. yazoo321

For some reason can anyone please tell me why Goosebumps IS coming again, you know Goosebumps still have OTHER 20,000 fans who want to watch more GOOSEBUMPS

19. yazoo321

I like your books and I first started watching goosebumps when I was just 6 years old, I’m know starting to like HORROR

20. Sarah P

Dear Mr Stine
    i am currently working on a book/novel called Horror Island and i was wondering if you could give me some ideas…………your books inspire me to write, i love your books, my persanal favriots is Fear Street Nights i love all your books
    from Sarah P

21. Daisy/ warning: (do not let my name fool you)

What would you do if a monster or ghost from the books keep appearing and every time they keep looking angrier and closer?

22. cristal

i love this guy cuz i watch goosebumps like everyday with my little brother!!!!and i also wath r.l stine the haunting hour i love it!!!!!!!!!

23. greensports10

i just read how i quit zombie school and it;s sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo CREEPY!!!! RL, u roc!!!!
    Ps
    Can u make a longer book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really luv the seried and i would like you to make a longer 1. RL, u r the master of horror!

24. wwgirl

i love the series. once i start reading one of your books, i can’t stop till i am finished!my favorite one was MY HAIREST ADVENTURE. it was also the first one i read.When i start s series though, i always like the first one. Confused? im not suprised. im currently writing a book too. so far i have written 70 pages. any advice for me?

25. lucky678

i love the slappy books the most last night i tried to buy all the ones with slappy in them cause hes a scary rude but a little bit funny doll id really love to have all the movies and books also if u have the dools id like those to please write back

26. lucky678

do u have slappy dolls cause id really like one please. and could u come to my school please me and my friends love ur books please

27. D.J

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE GOOSEBUMPS SERIES, MY FRIEND SOPHIE HAS THE WHOLE SERIES I LOVE THE SLAPPY NEW YEAR AND WHY I QUIT ZOMBIE SCHOOL!!!

28. i123

dude,i have no idea how you do it! your books are so great, i couldnt put them down. hey put a kid named Ian in your next book, please.

29. sweetiepie1245

omg! i love goosebumps! but i just can’t watch the series. WAY to scary for me. nightmares every nite i read your books. anyway, i only have 2 but they are my faves! i forgot the names but one is the dummy one and the other is the potato under the sink… lol!!!!

30. mysterygrl2376

wow i thought me and my friend were like the only people that liked goosebumps im glad we r’nt alone!!!! :)

31. Rob W

Mr.Stine all the Kid’s scary story’s now a days just aren’t the same..will you ever consider making a comeback and showing all these producers now a days how its done? If you can promote it right you will get all of your old viewer’s back surely and plenty more..i watch it with my younger siblings and its sure is a thrill for them..You can do it! If anyone can its you!

32. Rob W

Goosebumps was the best series’s ever! I also love the video’s i wish you’d continue to make them..Im like you i laugh in the face of horror lol! Your series is spooky yet its not to much..I wish i had an episode per day for the rest of my life! Thanks for all that you do and good luck on your newest creations..i just hope you keep giving people goosebumps they’re what made you the author you are today..if you turn on them they might turn on you like rocky turned on slappy lol Best of luck!

33. Miles

At school we have this book and it is cool it is called Bone it is like a comic book I like the story.I ‘m in fourth grade 4 grade is easy we had this test with 3 pages

34. Kamia

i really like your books because they are really scary and intereating and fastating books to read thank you for reading my comment
    kamia to you goosebumps writer

35. jesse

The books I said on oct/27 comment 17 other 8,9,16] those are good book and have you read hall of horror3 ,five masks of DR Sreem it good too.

36. Devin (yes im a girl)

Can you please make more Horrland Books Thoese are my favorite! I love to scare people when i bring it to camp o please!

37. jesse

R.L make the Grool come back it your top monster[ it a real screem]and add the Slime shooter I want to slime the dummy.

38. Alyssa

i read your books they are giving me nightmares but they are
    pretty cool.i like the movie you made called The NightMare Room.its my favorite movie IN THE WORLD!?!?!?!?! write back
    Alyssa
    back

39. Erik

I also loved goosebumps growing up! How did I forget about those books! I have got super busy but now that I’ve been reminded about these classics I think I might dig through my collection and re-read some of them!