October 27, 2011

Kid Power! Cyberbullying

Posted by at 10:56 am in Kid Power | Permalink

MakeadifferenceKid Power! Kids can make a difference! Every Thursday on Ink Splot 26, we'll show you a new idea for how YOU can make the world a better place.

Have you ever noticed that when you post on any of the Ink Splot 26 blogs and Message Boards, it does not appear right away? One of the reasons for this is to prevent harmful and mean comments from being made public.

Bullies are everywhere: in school, in books, and online. We all know about popular kids who try to hurt our feelings, or people who spread rumors about us. Cyberbullying is when someone posts comments online that can hurt another person's feelings. It can also be posting personal information about another person without his or her permission. Words can be very harmful, and sometimes the things you say online can really damage another person's confidence or self-esteem. We would never want to hurt anyone's feelings and make them feel like an outcast!

Here's what YOU can do. First of all, make sure that you are not the cyberbully. Think before you post! You should always treat others the way you want to be treated. If you're not sure, talk to a trusted adult about what you can and cannot say on the internet. Remember, you should never post anything online that you can't take back. If you're about to post something, read it back first and imagine that someone is posting it about you. How does it feel? Not so nice? Don't post it.

If you see your friend posting something mean, tell him or her that it's not cool. Don't just keep quiet and go along with it because it's your friend. Stand up for what's right! Also, if you see some mean comments about someone, go out of your way to say something nice to/about that person. Your kind comments will lead by example and show others that being nice is always the best way to be. Use your Kid Power to make the other person feel good!

And, if someone posts something negative about you, first talk to a trusted adult about it. Don't just take it! You might be able to report the username to a website administrator, and you may also have the option to block your cyberbully. By speaking up, you prevent the cyberbullying from escalating, and you stay out of trouble. Then, you should just walk away. If you give in to cyberbullies' comments, you are "letting them win." When you don't respond to a cyberbully, you show that you are the bigger person, and you have more important things to do with your life than let someone bring you down.

Cyberbullying can happen to anyone, and if you take a stand against it, you can make the world a better place. It is easy to make change, and it starts with you! For more information about how to stop bullies, check out the Stand Up to Bullying Special Report.

image from kids.scholastic.comGlory, Scholastic Intern (a.k.a. CupcakeChateau4)

1. dragonangel101

CYBER BULLYING
    What do i think of cyber bullying?
    I HATE cyber bullying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Emmy

Thanks for trying to make a change guys! Reading all of your comments makes me fell amazing and I do not even get bulied, because I am home schooled. I have been trying to make a change as well the book I am wirteing now is about standing up agents bullys!

3. bulliesstink

oh my gosh i saw this movie where a girl gets cyberbullied and it made my mom cry!!!!!! so sad. Scholastic ROCKS!!!!!!

4. purpleaqua36

cyberbullying should be stopped. my friend was gooing to write a letter to the governer of my state and try to get a cyberbullying law approved. but, she heard someone else was doing it. Pretty cool huh?

5. Colie Bear

Yeah…
    It’s usually kids who are popular who do the bullying, because they have enough friends that they can afford to be mean…
    It’s still horrible though!

6. karadoe2000

I knew a website where there was this girl and she would go to people’s online creations and write “I hate you,” but me and some other people reported her to the moderators and they banned her! Plus they put this filter thing up so you can’t say the word “hate” on the website…and it really makes me glad that everything on the stacks is read over by an adult before being posted!

7. dancedancing61

bullying is not nice. it makes u feel like u want to die. thats not a very good feeling. people should not bully because it is toatlly bad. if your a bully you should stop now and if you got bullied how would you feel. if your getting bullied speak up now!

8. joyfullightning3

CYBER-BULLYING IS UNACCEPTABLE!People just dont UNDERSTAND HOW TO LOVE/TREAT ONE ANOTHER….People also bully other people because of something that person has,just to have the name”POPULAR”!Also,because something is going on in their household or just because their not getting any attention at home.Most people,bully people just to make themselves look good or to have a name title or just simply make people MISERABLE BECAUSE THEY ARE TOO……

9. sonicfan123

That has happened to me before. I was at Summer Camp somewhere and there was this kid younger than me but boy was he strong. He used bad words, called some kids at Summer Camp names so one time it happened to me but I stood up to myself. But that didn’t exactly go “so” well!He is still here so every time he bullies someone I’ll tell the person being bullied to stand up to there self or I’ll help them. So that is one of my bully stories

10. haydenrocks10

So this is really sad. We had a bullying problem in my school this year and it was when people would make this huge circle with 1 person in the middle. And a kid would go in and push the victim and the kids on the outside circle would huddle up so the duty would not see. Usually it was a bunch of boys agianst a boy or a bunch of girls agianst a girl. It was just very mean and bad and it happened to me 1 time but luckily my friends helped me and got the duty. So because of that, it was made a rule that you could only hang out with 3 people in ur group. It was sooo sad and mean. So that is my story. Thank u for letting me share :D I hope u guys do make a difference. I am sure u will.