August 15, 2011

Writing Prompt: Back to School!

Posted by at 1:37 am in Writing Prompt | Permalink

BackToSchool Writing Prompt: Back to School!

In most parts of the world, kids attend school all year round, and only have the month of August off. My friend from Japan talked about when he moved to the U.S., he was thrilled to have June, July, and August off. He said he didn’t know what to do with himself! (His mom promptly enrolled him in “summer classes” – poor guy). Another friend who recently went to London mentioned how the whole country practically shuts down for “holiday” in August. So I guess we should be grateful for small blessings like 2 ½ months of summer vacation!

But, now back-to-school time is here. The memories of summer will be tucked away, to make room for new memories in the coming school year (sniff sniff).

So, for today’s Writing Prompt we want to hear from you about Back-to-School:

What are you most looking forward to? What are you most dreading? What are your goals for the coming school year? What do you hope to accomplish?

Let us know in the Comments below!

—Ratha, Stacks Writer

1. werewolfcat5

Well,it’s not really summer vacation right now but almost.I don’t look forward to anything next year when I start middle school! I’m dreading about meeting new people and teachers and how to get around the school.My goals for the upcoming school year is to be better at math.I hope to accomplish that.

2. caroline

well we already passed my first quarter in school this comment was posted late, so far it has been great all A’s!!! first year of middle school if ur not there yet or about to b its the best!

3. Shannon

Well, I absolutely love summer. This summer I went on a trip out West to Grand Canyon, California, yada,yada and it was awesome! But by the time I got back, I wanted to go back to school, and then once my wish had been granted, I wanted to get out of the place! Sometimes I wish that I could clone myself and go to Fiji instead. I hope to keep up the A’s I get, and I hope to be a soccer, basketball, and track star! I love my english teacher so I think im all set for the year. Except for those weekly tests. . .

4. Onyxfairy5

i dont know bout a lot cuz i have arabic class axams all summer cuz my teacher thinks that since its summer take advantage!!

5. mouthmemie

For the school year I am looking forward to seeing all of my friends that I haven’t seen in a decade. I am dreading opening my locker. My goals are to meet new friends and to keep my grades high.

6. Claire

I am looking forward to seeing my friends more I am dreading homework I hope to accomplish not missing any Homework assignments My goals are to become more oeacful

7. FOOTBALLCATCHING29

This school year in middle school the thing that I am looking forward to most is harder academic challenges. The thing that I am dreading is longer school hours. My goal is to reach high academic goals. I want my accomplishment to be that I get on the A/B honor roll.

8. AquaBird376

Im looking forward to the football and basketball games. What im most dreading is the homework and changing classes. What I hope to accomplish is getting straight A’s.

9. baller01

This school year I’m looking foward to having my own locker.In the classrooms I will manage to keep an A or B in all my classes the whole year

10. astronomyable3

im really happy that school’s here at last..i mean its gr8 to stay relaxed and all but i prefer busy schedules….i really cant wait to do extra curricular activities and join all the clubs and after school classes that i can!i also cant wait to make new frnds(im starting a new school) and meet all my new teachers and get started with school projects.im a brilliant student and cant wait to be teacher’s pet…im dreading getting lost in a big school and meeting mean people and sitting alone at lunch,etc.
    im a somewhat brainiac and hold my position proudly…i dont want any1 to be smarter than me either….i hope to participate in everything that is offered and win alot of prizes and get do lots of cool things too.my goals are to become a bit more confident and bold.

11. bluebutterfly324

ok so I am excited for school because I get to see my best friend’s and it’s my first year of middle school so this year should be interesting….. :)

12. Selena

Well I am looking forward to seeing all my friends from last year. Starting middle school is exciting!!! I just hope i have everything I need for each of my classes. i am looking forward to all the up coming games, competitions, tests, and assignments. My goal is to get all good grades and straight A’s. I’m not looking forward to any bullies or science fairs. I just don’t know why. If there’s a spelling bee then i want to at least past the first few rounds.

13. Artsheerful10

Imso excited 4 school 2 start.Im mostly lokking foward 2 new teachers and kids.Im most dreading about bullys.My goals are 2 still get good grades.I hope to accomplish how to get around in my school.

14. Gracie

I’m looking forward to all my new classes. I’m dreading being a new kid (going into 6th grade). My goal is not to get terrible grades. I hope to accomplish not failing.

15. Bee

I’m most looking forward to going into middle school. I am dreading the amount of homework we have. My goals are to study hard and get good grades and I hope I excel in English and Language Arts because those are my two favorite subjects!! Can’t wait!! :)

16. dreamtimecupcake12

well, im looking forward to seeing my new teachers joining a new school which i am very well excited to enjoy..

17. jackblackreading

My gosh school is finally here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont know why but i HATE summer break cant wait for school only two days away!!!

18. DARKBUTTERFLY17

well school is going great i only have one teacher I’m not happy about write me back and friend me

19. alec

This year is the first year of middle school. I can’t wait to have my own lockers and everything. I think it’s going to be great.

20. trixie m

hey julia my classes are going awesome and m in 6th grade!!middle school!!do u guys write with pens!!we do!

21. Sierra

I’m looking forward to my 1st year of middle school,meeting my teachers,classmates and making new friends. I’m dreading the fact that all my friends from elementary school are going to a different school. My goals are to get A’s and B’s for the whole school year, make alot of new friends, stay out of trouble.

22. indigocreative2

Hello! I think there should be a blog/message message board to communicate w/my friends!! Ya school..is so cool! I already posted my comments.. dont want to hog the board. Hey island!!!

23. justaprincess

I’m dreading school! Not for the reasons you’d think… I actually like math and science and history… but I can’t put my problems without giving awy where I live!

24. Erin

I am looking foward to switching classes instead of staying with one teacher. I am dreading all the work that comes with being in middle school. My goal is to get all A’s.

25. darkbanana6

i guess im ready to go to middle school. i just dont like the fact that i don’t have any friends or my schedule. but i guess thats what its all about

26. chattypug1 (formerly SoccerBoarder)

I’m looking forward to this whole year, cuz i’m going into 8th grade. i’m dreading going back cuz it means i have to get up eaarly again. my goals are 4 consecutive terms on high honor roll. I hope to finally get a goal in soccer, and be a goalie too.

27. mackenzie

going into6th gradeso excited because i can finally have a locker and i can finally play the violin again plus i can meet so many new friends and i think ill have a lot of fun

28. julia

oh i just posted like to seconds ago but just to let you guy’s know going into 5th grade super excited!and let me know what grade you guy’s going into let me know because i read all of your guy’s comments every day!

29. julia

it’s cool to learn about what kids do in other countries:)but what i like the most about summer is you just get to relax and do what ever you want to and that you don’t always have to be working!and the best part is definitly,sleeping in till 12:00 in the afternoon:)what do you guy’s think let me know i cheek the blogs every day!so let me know what you guy;s like the most about sumer before summer is GONE!!!!!!!!

30. gigglyelbow3

my school is going through a huge change!there adding 5th grade into middle school.and i’m going into 5th grade.we have a really small school about 170 kids k-8.we’re loosing money and i hope i can stay there untill i go to high school!i want to get a’s and b’s and i bet i’ll get a lot of homework!!!

31. Alice

Im very much looking forward to starting middle school but im still very worried about how it will be like. Haha, i guess im very nervous and excited! But I really want to start school and im looking forward to seeing my friends again :)

32. CASHMATH4

I’M LOOKING FORWARD TO MATH!I’M NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO READING :( I HOPE TO GET STRAIGHT A’s.I HOPE TO REACH MY READING GOAL AND GETTING STRAIGHT A’s:)

33. Artemishunting4

Me, I can’t wait to go back to school! All I pretty much do is make stories and read any books that I can get my hands on. Most kids would probably dread about homework but I don’t. For some reason, I look forward to have homework! Weird, right? I swear on the river Styx that I will be a better person to everyone and get epic grades.

34. brainfairy3

Im looking forward to learnig alot of cool things and im dreading to meet my new teachers. My gaols for this school year are to have a good year andbe the best i can be. I hope to accomplish all of my goals.

35. kyla

I am FINALLY gonna c my bffs! me and my group have lots 2 talk about.2 bad 4 the homework.And gym. and other stuff………

36. Cathryn

I am looking forward to new people, teachers and old friends. I am excited about getting to know everyone. I also dread all the work that sometimes comes with school, but I do enjoyu learning things.

37. Allegra

I cant wait to see my buddies again, I am dreading to see my crush (I get distracted), and being stuck in the same class as the mean/popular girls, my goal is to get good grades, and become more outgoing.

38. birdbrownie10

I am looking forward to go back to school to see all my old friends but I’m really sad because my best friend is changing schools for three years.

39. trixie m

oh yeah i didnt tell u!!im starting my first year in middle school!its pretty cool having break with seniors and not having sme stupid music class!

40. cookingb2

I want to meet new friends.I hate that some middle school can not have sports.I my goals are to excel in 2 classes.I hope I can make honor roll.

41. cutie3500

I’m actually pretty excited. This is my first year of middle-school, so I’m pretty psyched. I only have to have frour classes a day, and I get to wake up about an hour earlier than I had to last year, so that’s nice too. The only thing i don’t like about the school so far, is what they gave me for the summer. My new school gave me homework! During summer! That doesn’t even make any sense! Also, I don’t have to wear uniform like at my elementary school. So I’m pretty excited.

42. cobraosiris2

This will be my first year in middle school. The school I attended last year was closed and many people were sad. Most of my friends are going to attend our home school but I am going to attend a different one. I look forward to making new friends. I don`t have to wear uniforms this year and I am happy about that. I plan to study hard and continue to make good grades. I really think I will enjoy my new school this year.

43. bullblack132

i am siked for skool it will be a good year i am taking spanish and drama 1st semester then art 2nd semester it will be fun because i know all the techers

44. brainyblack4

I hope to meet the new kids!I dread Gym class! My Goals? To be a kind,honest,and nice person. Not just in school, but out side too.

45. indigocreative2

As I said, ya, I am really ecstatic,excited and off my seat to go to school again!!! I am working hard and doing math and science and spelling at home. I hope to become valedictorian, winning the school and maybe district bee. i am also looking forward to chess!! School is superb! Though, I actually would rather have school punctually, and the way that most other schools around the world do….

46. indigocreative2

I am looking forward to the spelling bee, also. Learning is phenomenal and we should all be thankful to get it!!! :) :)

47. indigocreative2

I am looking forward for the new tear at my school, generally. My school is very cool and promotes education, like my friends. I am training to go to a special math, writing and reading program on a specific day. I will dread not having recess 2. But I know that it will have better values. I am looking forward to the chess club. I hope I will work very hard and succeed in my work in this year. I am also looking forward to learning many new things and reading and getting back to our school library every week!!!

48. magicalpanda1

What are you most looking forward to? ::: Well…I’m looking forward to making new friends and art projects.
    What are you most dreading? ::: I’m dreading homework of course, and mean teachers.
    What are your goals for the coming school year? ::: My goals? hmm…well…to make new friends and to get straight A’s.
    What do you hope to accomplish? ::: Hmmm~I’m not so sure.

49. SilverFairy1

What are you most looking forward to: Actually all the new nice teachers!
    What are you most dreading: The boys and girls in my class who think… Just those people that have very Very different minds than mind. VERY.
    What do you wish to accomplish:Showing the bullies a piece of my mind in a nice way.
    What goals do you have: Get really good grades. The last year’s weren’t so hot

50. petgirl33

I can’t wait to see my best friends! I also can’t wait to get some new insipiration for my writing.
    I ain’t looking forward to all the homework. Or to all the kids who bully everyone ( I decided to not name names.)
    I hope to get all A’s and get much better at tennis.

51. DARKANGEL41

I’m looking forward to seeing my awesome friends, dreading cranky teachers and more HW. I missed sooo many days of school, so I want to miss about 2 days. Seventh grade, here I come :)

52. miniartemis

I live in another country and we are starting school next week and we only have seven weeks of summer vacation. So, really, believe me, you guys should be grateful.
    I’m not looking forward to school, I even get nightmares about it. In my school, seventh grade is “sort of” like junior high already, so I am FREAKING!!!! Also, I am going to have as homeroom teacher the most severe teacher of the school!! ugh.

53. Aeris256

What are you most looking forward to? Learning to play the Ocarina!
    What are you most dreading? Spanish…
    What are your goals for the coming school year? To do better at it.
    What do you hope to accomplish? Playing the ocarina!

54. GuardoftheWorlds

I’m so sad that summer is coming to an end, although I am looking towards the first day of school! Nervous and excited…
    I’m looking forward to establishing a relationship with my teachers and friends. I want to get good grades and actually REMEMBER the information. I want to understand the wonderful world around us :)

55. Caylie0519

I`m really exited to learn once again. My goal is to get straight A`s or alot of A`s.I hope to be a really good saftey patrol person for my 2nd year

56. kookoocrazy

I love school!!!!! But this year we were supposed to get an easy teacher and we’re not ! They put him as the P.E. teacher. Now we’re gonna get hard work:(

57. PinkPanther73

I love summer vacation, but it goes by to fast. most people want it to be a longer time. I wish I didnt have to go school but I get to see my friends at school. I wish summer was a lot longer because most people I know hate going to school. I wish it would be more homework and more summer. I really like that idea.

58. stonefairy

I’m looking forward to just starting a new year. I’m homeschooled, so I take online classes as well as regular classes with my mom, and this year I’m starting an online math class. I think that will be really helpful and make me really smart. I have been doing an online English class for the past two years and now I’ll be going into English 3, which I’m not looking forward to because what I’ve heard of it, it’s really hard and you have to spend long hours working, and you get lots of homework, but it’ll be good for me. Also, I might take a fencing class and that will be really cool!

59. chattyaqua25

i’m looking forward to seeing my friends. i’m dreading our new homework!!!! my goals this year is to get on the basketball team and get straight A’s. what i hope to accomplish is to not get in trouble, A LOT!!!!

60. Percy and harry fan

Haha, I say I’m unusual. Why? I hate summer vacation, because what do you do all those long 2 1/4 months? I can only read and write so much! Getting active, I get it. But that does get boring. SO I’m ecstatic to go back to school. School is a place of knowledge, that you can portray with your works. That makes me the happiest, the satisfaction of handing in good, hard worked…work. I feel awesome when studying for a test or quiz, and knowing I’ll get an A. This year as I head into 8th grade, I hope to meet great teachers as I did have in 7th grade. I also wish to give my best and hopefully finish the year with a 3-year average of a 98. Most of all, I hope to become valedictorian and make my parents proud…(and also to have that personal satisfaction that we all do crave…)
    What I dread? If I’m not going to be in advanced science…

61. trixie m

well my skool is planning to continue the holdays till 5 of september!im not that thrilled!!cuz i realy wanna go back to skool!have some fun!!kick back with friends and enjoy!!and of the studies:}!!and did u know we dont have our exams till 6th grade!and im in 6th grade now so im gonna have my exams!im kinda scared!!wish me luck!!!im looking forward to bascetball!and im dreading the maths exam!im not that good at maths!!

62. alywrites

I’m looking forward to making new friends, seeing my old friends, and learning new things! I’m dreading Geometry. I plan to get all A’s and B’s this year (last year I almost had it…except for in math…), more A’s THAN B’s. I hope to accomplish…my goals?

63. coolchicken3

I’m looking forward to seeing my friends. I am dreading the homework (my brother got 12 sheets last year!!!) My goal is to get a Netball medal. I hope to get good grades.