August 30, 2011

Hurricane Trivia Quiz

Posted by at 11:28 am in News, Trivia | Permalink

Questionmark_130

It's hurricane season, and if the weather this year has been any indication, it's going to be a bad one! For those of you who live on the East Coast, we just got hit by one of the worst hurricanes in years, Hurricane Irene. The playground by my house actually seemed to turn into a small lake. On the basketball court, the water came up to the top of the basketball hoops!

Flooding, downed power lines, damage and loss of houses and belongings, these are some of the devastating effects of hurricanes. But what is the science behind them? What IS actually a hurricane? What causes them? Test your knowledge of hurricanes with our Trivia Quiz.

1. When does the Atlantic hurricane season begin and end on the East Coast?
  2. Many of the worst hurricanes in U.S. history have all taken place within the same two weeks of every year. What is this peak date?
  3. Why do East Coast U.S. hurricanes typically only happen in late summer?
  4. How fast can hurricanes travel?
  5. What is the difference between a hurricane and a typhoon?
  6. Which is worse: a Category 1 storm or a Category 5 storm?
  7. How do hurricanes get their names?
  8. What will the next hurricane's name be?
  9. Which past hurricane name will never be used again?

Hope you all made it through Hurricane Irene ok! Leave your answers to the Trivia Quiz in the Comments below, and check back next week for the answers and some more fascinating hurricane facts.

- Ratha, Stacks Writer

1. dakota

im sorry i even knoiw what it is like having 70 to 100 mph wind. about 2 years ago my state had a small hurricane it knocked down alot of streets. i knocked out peoples power. some people had to go to a saftey shelter because of all the damage in their yard and in their homes. luckely for me i didn’t loose anything o any power. i just had to sleep downstairs in case the wind got stronger.

2. sophia

how many peple like trivia quiz 3,000 people like trivea quizes why because it it the best thing that people like to read about
    thats why they like that.

3. sophia

what do peple like about hurricanes is the damage that they make,mostly people should not be that way because they can harme like my causin that live in nj thet got hit by irene but they will never forget about that they said that it doesint do ANY thing but it realy does know they know that they should not think that..

4. sophia

i read this book about trivea quiz but mostly it talks about hurricanes.have you seen about the hurrican that just passed by it is called
    irene.Mostly it is explaning about what hurricans do and the damages that they do,and they mosly explan very many things that happen ,and how things happen in and,things that have been most of it…

5. sophia

I LOVE TRIVIA QUIZEZZ BECAUSE THEI VERY GOOD….FOR WHAT I KNOW ABOUT. MOSTLY I LOVE THEM BECAUSE YOU GET TO PUT QUESTIONS THAT YOU.HAVE NEVER SEEN BEFORE.MOSTLY I LIKE THE HURRICAN ones because thei like stories that they say about i also see the quizes on nickolodian because they are good they actualy give you some thing that you have never new about.

6. Yellowdolphin

I live on the East Coast and we didn’t even loose power. Funny, some people in my town live in ruins- power lines down, trees on houses- but some streets like mine, you wouldn’t even know we got hit! And that’s only in my small town! FUNNY STORY- I got eggs from my neighbors house during Irene.
    When does the Atlantic hurricane season begin and end on the East Coast? ummmm. No idea
    Many of the worst hurricanes in U.S. history have all taken place within the same two weeks of every year. What is this peak date? around the time school starts.
    Why do East Coast U.S. hurricanes typically only happen in late summer?
    Because that’s when most hurricanes are.
    How fast can hurricanes travel?
    up to 100 mph?
    What is the difference between a hurricane and a typhoon?
    I think there is no difference. It’s called a typhoon in the Australia area.
    Which is worse: a Category 1 storm or a Category 5 storm?
    cat. 5
    How do hurricanes get their names?
    They are in alphabetical order and every other one is a female or vice versa
    What will the next hurricane’s name be?
    Lee… I saw it on the news
    Which past hurricane name will never be used again?
    ????? :) Yellowdolphin

7. sophia

why does every one have to post thoes things like the title of a book on the page most of all i want to be in the club but how can i be in side the club can you help me find a way to be inside.like have you ever known about a book called the ball games.It is a very good novel that has a very good begining and it has more than, just action,it has more than any of thoughs things most importantly. i want to know if any one can just help me every one eles gets a chants but i , realy dont get that many peple should be ashamed of them selves.

8. sophia

I know about the hurrican iren that just passed by
    it was a very tarrible thing
    that happend their,most of all
    iv got a very good question why do hurricans need to form????????????????????????

9. alywrites

1. June-November
    2. um…I know it’s in September…
    3. My guess is because that’s when the water is the warmest.
    4. Over 155 mph if in category 5
    5. Not much. It’s just because it’s out East, in Asia. Here its hurricane, there its typhoon.
    6. category 5, definitely
    7. WMO has six lists of 21 names that are reused every six years.
    8. Jose