July 15, 2011

Emily Osment & Kay Panabaker in Cyberbully

Posted by at 4:08 pm in Celebrities | Permalink

Cyberbully1 Emily Osment & Kay Panabaker star in the TV movie, Cyberbully. We got to talk to them about the movie and about their own advice for dealing with the sometimes dangerous online world.

Q: What is Cyberbully about?
Emily: In a way it’s ripped from the headlines and while it’s not based on a true story it easily could be. It centers around my character, Taylor, and her journey through high school. She struggles at home and is extremely insecure, and for some reason, the girls at school say she is the girl to pick on. She is targeted for absolutely no reason. She’s picked on at school and picked on online which is why it’s called Cyberbully and that is a Cyberbully2 huge topic right now. It’s about her downward spiral, and Kay plays my best friend and I bring her and my family into it. My character is completely tormented and it’s very sad. It’s about the way to handle cyberbullying and maybe not the way to handle it and has a good moral that we ask for it basically, because we put ourselves out there.
Kay: That’s exactly the comment I’ve been making because you put yourself out there, and people think having such instant access to you they can say whatever they want, and a lot of the times it’s positive, and people want to talk to you, but there are those other people that want to make you feel bad to make themselves feel better. Is their advice genuinely the one you should be listening to? My mom always taught me that you need to present yourself privately as you would publicly, so if you wouldn’t say the things you are saying online to that person’s face, don’t say them. And if you can’t help yourself, remove yourself from the temptation and take yourself offline. If you can’t handle it well like this Cyberbully3 movie says, take yourself offline and deal with the bullying not online.

Q: Does any of the stuff you read online about yourself affect your confidence?
Emily: I have a very good sense of who I am and I have people who I trust and will tell me something isn’t right. Like my mom will say don’t wear that dress, so I change, and I trust that. But I wouldn’t ask my Twitter followers if this dress makes my butt look big. I would ask people that I know so I don’t let it affect me personally. I could find a million things to bully about anyone but I choose not to.

Q: What books do you recommend?
Kay: Ender’s Game, Uglies, Stargirl, Thirteen Reasons Why, and The Hunger Games.
Emily: Anything by Sarah Dessen who just came out with two new books, anything by Avi, Ender’s Game, of course Stargirl, a book called Loser that is great. Harry Potter is great.

Q: Is there anything you are insecure about?
Kay: Insecurities never go away and even when you know you are at your best, you will still doubt yourself. A lot of people deal with that by calling attention to it but I personally believe that they are your insecurities and you are allowed to deal with them how you want. I don’t feel the need to let people in on that struggle with myself and about that growth. Because then there will be those people that just want to make you feel insecure and I don’t want to invite that.
Emily: And I like my big butt so whatever.

Q: Have you had any embarrassing moments?
Kay: I make a fool of myself on a daily basis. I trip whenever I wear high heels. It’s funny I just went to Vegas to celebrate my 21st birthday and all of my boyfriend’s guy friends came. I warned them I was wearing shoes that were impossible to walk in but went really well with my dress, and I had to walk by myself and one of the guy friends was behind me and saw me nearly wipe out. He just started laughing because he played the movie in his head where I actually did fall down and it was a tragic mess. I am not graceful in heels so that’s why I wear wedges because they are much more sturdy.

Are you going to watch Cyberbully? I hope nothing like that ever happens to any of you, dear STACKERS!

Interview by Gerri Miller
Photos courtesy of Disney Channel

1. Bethan

hi Emily Osment and Kay Panabaker
    i was thinking about if you could bring Miley Cyrus and Nick Jonas and Demi Lovato and Joe Jonas and Kevin Jonas as well and Mitchel Musso as well and my Name is Bethan

2. pinkchihuahua290

I love the movie but think it was terrible because her friend would just betray her like that!!!!!!!

3. Katana

I once felt neglected like everyone hated me and i felt like Taylor did, i didn’t like it. My family is really nice to me and even though my brother doesn’t show it much, but he would defend me if anyone called me the kind of stuff they call Taylor in this movie. And i think my dad would cause a lawsuit for anyone that did this to me. I have a friend who feels like everyone hates her now and that is why i feel so much like i am in the situation of the movie, i really loved the movie, it was a very emotional and touchy film. Kudos to who directed it.

4. Kat

I really love the Hunger Games, this movie changed the way i look at things, usually i wouldn’t do anything about it, but now when i see cyberbullying or even any kind of bullying, i will stop it, any way i can. This movie almost made me cry.

5. alexis

omg i loved it so much i think its a good movie to watch expeccialy little girls because it shows you want to and not to do on the internet

6. catfangs24

i think it sounds good 2 and omg emily likes stargirl aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh im ganna die and i think i know how she feels i have been bullyed on the internet many times and let me tell u it is not fun.

7. Onyxfairy5

OOOOO! another HP fan! i want to see wat ever’s games r about and well i think that this is an awesome movie and can’t wait 2 watch it!

8. Earthsurfer

I think think kids need to stand up for cyberbullying and watch each other’s backs wouldn’t it be cool to have a safe enviroment around you where you can trust every single person to not bully you same thing online

9. alicia39

I love the movie. But the movie was helpful I was being bully my friend I want to cry and try to stop her from bulling me she made fun of me and my sister. I tell the teacher she got in trouble she was in for a lot week. We became friends again . Then the last day of school she talk about me in a mean way. It”s is a great movie. It”s a helpful way to stop being bulling.

10. purpleamber14

yeah i watched cyberbully its awesome and emily great acting i guessed you felt everything that victims feel this movie deserves a grammy i loved it

11. julia

it’s like the best movie ever and it teaches you a great lesson about stuff and what to do if it ever happens to you!:)

12. dragonflyaqua12

I love how this movie teaches kids to be safe on the internet but it was kinda a harsh movie for kids to see.

13. julia

i saw this movie with my sister it really changes you and makes you think twice about others bullying on the internet !you’ll never be the same after you see it!well in a good way:)

14. PinkPanther73

It’s really mean to cyberbully. I had it happen to me and it was not fun. Most people how bullly have been bullied ther self.

15. confidentcrest3

i watched the movie but missed the first half of it……the way she handeled it in the end was awsome

16. chattydance7

I say it was a really good movie. It really taught a lesson to both emily osment’s character and kay panabaker’s. At first I felt really bad for “taylor” but it was when I saw that she wasnt the only one being tortured and she ingnored that. Until her mom made it a law passed in….. where ever they live.

17. PinkPanther73

It’s really bad to cyberbully cuz you hurt peoples feelings. most people r hurting peoles feelings.

18. dragoncoffee1

i say it is bad to bully i used to get bullied all the time but now i don’t because i ignore people and now they leave me alone

19. Wolfsporty3

Omg the movie was so good and sad at the same time i started cry at the end its shows a story of friendship and betrayal

20. cashcupcake2

Being bullied is not fun. I never been cyber-bullied before. i hope it duznt happen to me!=( i feel bad for u Emily Osment.

21. Cameron

thts totally a gr8 movie w a good lesson along w cool entertainment but it really says tht u should b careful wat u say or post because it never goes away and theres no other way 2 show tht but with emily osmen a pretty and funny and cool girl my lesson is learned and i think it the same 4 every1 else :)

22. adam

saw cyberbully……..
    torally ROCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. Taffy

The movie was amazing ! It made me cry . Also I think it taught many people a lesson who don’t realize their words hurt others , so yeah Awesome job done for Emily , Kay , and Kelly !

24. brainstorm5

hey i saw the movie cyberbully with my grandma and it was very sad how taylor had got pick on and how ur best friend bascilly had betraded u and turn her back on u and i was so said and i almost cried and that was nice of ur mother toostick up for u and see what was going on and i have a question:HOW WOULD U FEEL IF THAT REALLY HAPPEN TO U AND WHAT WOULD U DO?????????????????????????

25. frogs are cute

by the way if u r have not finsh wating the movie hears a heads up the james that tayor says is cute is her friends that set it up

26. Ally

Emily Osment guess what i went to your concert last year and i watched it then i went on a ride and when i got off i looked over the fence and you were standing their and i said hi.

27. redlemon1

This movie really opened up my eyes and really got me thinking about the cruelty happening around us these days. It was a great movie.

28. TopazPrincess1

SilverFairy1- 13 Reasons Why is the best book ever! The plot was very deep and well thought out! The author really helps you feel what the main character is feeling! Great book! RATING: ***** Definitley a 5 star book!

29. TopazPrincess1

I saw the movie, and I thought it was great and the plot was very deep. Emily Osmet did a great job proving to us that she can stay relevant and do a very dramatic role besides Hannah’s BFF! She did amazing, and definitley deserved that role. Loved the movie! RATING: *** OR ****

30. The Mockingjay of District 12

Kay loves The Hunger Games AKA the best book (in my opinion) ever? I’m officially a fan of her. :)

31. 8wildnreckless

my rents are always telling me to not go on some internet sites, but they say its ok to go on scholastic luckily!

32. Hunger games girl

the hunger games series is an awesome series and i cant believe i miss the movie and i also like the book loser it was sad but a very goo book

33. stationazure2

I want to see that movie because i was bullied online and off. I want to know how you guys dealed with it too!

34. Caroline

GREAT movie! Really inspiring. I was actually cyber-bullied so I think more movies like this should be made. Otherwise, AWESOME movie!

35. funkysarah0223

well i dont have cable so i wont be able to see it well i have cable but at the time ill be visiting my grandma and she dosent have cable booy hoouy. But i wish i could see it anyways i guess after wat happend with hannah montana (she needs a career ) dont get me wrong i like emiley osment shes a really good actress!!! sincerly,sarah

36. Courtney

This movie sounds amazing I love Emily Osment and Kay I am totally wathing i cannot wait to see it. I am going to ask everybody watch it especially since it could happen to anyone

37. Yul5

I agree that Ender’s Game, Thirteen Reasons Why, and The Hunger Games are really good books.I can’t wait to see Cyberbully because I am hoping i can learn how to deal with problems like Kay is going to have in the movie.

38. geniuspanda1

I think this movie is good for us all to watch because it is something that could happen to any of us so I will watch it!!!

39. s

emily i have a good sense of you. you everyone.
    And i no u got made fun of in your new movie cyberbully. And even thow u got made fun of. you still turn out to be a good

40. SilverFairy1

I am so watching that. plus HUNGER GAMES IS A GREAT BOOK.
    I’m a little picky about thirteen reasons why. buts its just me because i follow strict rules. other than some stuff… ITS AWESOME!!!

41. Isabel

i’ve never been tormented on the internet, but i’m pretty sure that might happen, so i hope i’m safe!