June 2, 2011

The Hunger Games Cast Announcement

Posted by at 1:56 pm in Book to Big Screen, Celebrities | Permalink

Hg Wow! How time flies! It feels like just yesterday I was reading My Perfect Hunger Games Movie Cast post by Jack L. and was thinking how perfect Ellen Page would be as Katniss in The Hunger Games film. Man, how far off I was.

Three years have gone by since the release of The Hunger Games book (for ages 12 and up) by Suzanne Collins, and Lionsgate is now officially casting the film! Here’s an overview of the cast so far.

The Oscar-nominated 20-year-old, Jennifer Lawrence, will be starring as the main character, Katniss Everdeen. Even though there have been some skeptics (including myself) about Lawrence because she is older than Katniss, after seeing the most recent Entertainment Weekly magazine cover with Lawrence in costume as Katniss, I’m curious and excited to see what she will bring to the role.

Peeta Mellark, Katniss’s counterpart from District 12, will be played by Josh Hutcherson, whom you might know from Cirque du Freak: The Vampire’s Assistant (rated PG-13). I thought this was an interesting choice since I always pictured Peeta as a small blond boy; though I’m sure with the magic of makeup, hair dye, and stylists, Hutcherson will become the perfect Peeta. What do you think?

Taking on the role of Gale Hawthorne, Katniss’s best friend from District 12, is an Australian actor,  Liam Hemsworth, who is best known for his role alongside Miley Cyrus in The Last Song (rated PG). I must admit I’m not too familiar with this actor, but I trust the casting director that Hemsworth was the best choice. Do you agree?

As for the best cast roles in film, in my opinion, Woody Harrelson as Haymitch Abernathy, Elizabeth Banks as Effie Trinket, and Stanley Tucci as Caesar take the win.

Lastly, it was just announced that rocker/actor, Lenny Kravitz, will be Cinna, Katniss’s eccentric and flamboyant stylist. And Donald Sutherland will be President Snow.

The Hunger Games is currently set to release in the spring of 2012. There is still no word on the official soundtrack, but here are my picks for what songs should be in the movie. I can’t wait to see what the cast and crew bring to the big screen. What do you think of the cast? Leave a Comment.

- Carly M., Stacks Blogger

1. Rachel

@ A.S. :Amandla Stenberg will play Rue in the upcoming Hunger Games movie.
    And…I’m so excited for this movie! It’s going to be amazing! I love Jennifer Lawrence’s acting in the new X-Men movie so I have a feeling she’ll be a wonderful Katniss Everdeen. I love the supporting cast, too. They picked mostly unknowns for the other tributes, with the exceptions of Leven Rambin, Alexander Ludwig and Isabelle Fuhrman (Glimmer, Cato, and Clove respectively), which I think is great.
    March 23, 2012 can’t come soon enough!

2. Ryleigh

So i just got the book i already fell in love with story and i’m only on page 50!!!!! They are all perfect for their roles!!!! I wish the movie was coming out sooner!!!!!! :(

3. Ryleigh

Havent read the book but cant wait to see the movie Josh Hutcherson is one of my biggest role models!!!!! I just ask my dad if i could get the book because its awesome to know the story before the movie!! They mentioned cirque du freak and i lit up its one of my fave movies! Keep up the great work Josh!!!!!!!

4. Annias

I can’t wait for this film to come out because the books were so amazing. I think it will be a really good movie.

5. JadeDragon49

I went online and there was this really good singer who sang an original song called “The Flame”. They should use that song! Actually, I’ve never read The Hunger Games, but I’ll read them over the summer. Then I’ll be all caught up!

6. Yellowdolphin

Can’t wait! I’ve heard it was a fantastic book… I haven’t been able to find it at the library yet, but when I do I won’t be comming out of my bedroom untill I’ve finished!!!!!!!! :D

7. Bianca

Uh…has anyone other than me kinda, you know, realised that the cast is really, really…WRONG!!! Jennifer Lawrence, okay, because she’s a decent actress. Josh and Liam are good actors, too, but NOT in the place of Gale and Peeta. I mean, just read the books and imagine Liam playing Gale…um, I think NOT. Just my opinion.

8. Annie iPad

I am 10, but I have read lots of the Hinger Games books. Is that okay, moderator? Or should I not see the movie?

9. breakingphoenix1

OMG! I can’t wait to see the movie! I just finish the last book and I loved ti so much! I am sooooooooo exictited!!!!!!!!!!

10. dakota

you all sould read {for the girls} The kind of friends we used to be an sequel to the secret language of girls both by Frances O’roark Dowell

11. Ellie

omg i just finished the last book! i love the hunger games although there is a fair amount of gore. i cant wait until the movie comes out! i hope its good so they make all three!

12. tigersurgeon3

Omg!!!!!!!!! Love this series……….Hey can someone send me a friend request or something. I’m new and would really like some friends……tigersurgeon3
    Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    P.S. You can usually find me with the Harry Potter crowd :)

13. Isabel

the hunger games is an awesome book!!!!! i can’t stop reading it!!!!!!! I CAN’T WAIT UNTIL THE MOVIE COMES OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!