June 2, 2011

The Hunger Games Cast Announcement

Posted by at 1:56 pm in Book to Big Screen, Celebrities | Permalink

Hg Wow! How time flies! It feels like just yesterday I was reading My Perfect Hunger Games Movie Cast post by Jack L. and was thinking how perfect Ellen Page would be as Katniss in The Hunger Games film. Man, how far off I was.

Three years have gone by since the release of The Hunger Games book (for ages 12 and up) by Suzanne Collins, and Lionsgate is now officially casting the film! Here’s an overview of the cast so far.

The Oscar-nominated 20-year-old, Jennifer Lawrence, will be starring as the main character, Katniss Everdeen. Even though there have been some skeptics (including myself) about Lawrence because she is older than Katniss, after seeing the most recent Entertainment Weekly magazine cover with Lawrence in costume as Katniss, I’m curious and excited to see what she will bring to the role.

Peeta Mellark, Katniss’s counterpart from District 12, will be played by Josh Hutcherson, whom you might know from Cirque du Freak: The Vampire’s Assistant (rated PG-13). I thought this was an interesting choice since I always pictured Peeta as a small blond boy; though I’m sure with the magic of makeup, hair dye, and stylists, Hutcherson will become the perfect Peeta. What do you think?

Taking on the role of Gale Hawthorne, Katniss’s best friend from District 12, is an Australian actor,  Liam Hemsworth, who is best known for his role alongside Miley Cyrus in The Last Song (rated PG). I must admit I’m not too familiar with this actor, but I trust the casting director that Hemsworth was the best choice. Do you agree?

As for the best cast roles in film, in my opinion, Woody Harrelson as Haymitch Abernathy, Elizabeth Banks as Effie Trinket, and Stanley Tucci as Caesar take the win.

Lastly, it was just announced that rocker/actor, Lenny Kravitz, will be Cinna, Katniss’s eccentric and flamboyant stylist. And Donald Sutherland will be President Snow.

The Hunger Games is currently set to release in the spring of 2012. There is still no word on the official soundtrack, but here are my picks for what songs should be in the movie. I can’t wait to see what the cast and crew bring to the big screen. What do you think of the cast? Leave a Comment.

- Carly M., Stacks Blogger

1. julia

wait did someone just say theres going to be a hunger game movie :) bet it’s goning to be awsome reading the book right now so is my sister anyway can’t wait!

2. Rachel

@ A.S. :Amandla Stenberg will play Rue in the upcoming Hunger Games movie.
    And…I’m so excited for this movie! It’s going to be amazing! I love Jennifer Lawrence’s acting in the new X-Men movie so I have a feeling she’ll be a wonderful Katniss Everdeen. I love the supporting cast, too. They picked mostly unknowns for the other tributes, with the exceptions of Leven Rambin, Alexander Ludwig and Isabelle Fuhrman (Glimmer, Cato, and Clove respectively), which I think is great.
    March 23, 2012 can’t come soon enough!

3. Ryleigh

So i just got the book i already fell in love with story and i’m only on page 50!!!!! They are all perfect for their roles!!!! I wish the movie was coming out sooner!!!!!! :(

4. Ryleigh

Havent read the book but cant wait to see the movie Josh Hutcherson is one of my biggest role models!!!!! I just ask my dad if i could get the book because its awesome to know the story before the movie!! They mentioned cirque du freak and i lit up its one of my fave movies! Keep up the great work Josh!!!!!!!

5. Annias

I can’t wait for this film to come out because the books were so amazing. I think it will be a really good movie.

6. JadeDragon49

I went online and there was this really good singer who sang an original song called “The Flame”. They should use that song! Actually, I’ve never read The Hunger Games, but I’ll read them over the summer. Then I’ll be all caught up!

7. Yellowdolphin

Can’t wait! I’ve heard it was a fantastic book… I haven’t been able to find it at the library yet, but when I do I won’t be comming out of my bedroom untill I’ve finished!!!!!!!! :D

8. Bianca

Uh…has anyone other than me kinda, you know, realised that the cast is really, really…WRONG!!! Jennifer Lawrence, okay, because she’s a decent actress. Josh and Liam are good actors, too, but NOT in the place of Gale and Peeta. I mean, just read the books and imagine Liam playing Gale…um, I think NOT. Just my opinion.

9. Annie iPad

I am 10, but I have read lots of the Hinger Games books. Is that okay, moderator? Or should I not see the movie?

10. breakingphoenix1

OMG! I can’t wait to see the movie! I just finish the last book and I loved ti so much! I am sooooooooo exictited!!!!!!!!!!

11. dakota

you all sould read {for the girls} The kind of friends we used to be an sequel to the secret language of girls both by Frances O’roark Dowell

12. Ellie

omg i just finished the last book! i love the hunger games although there is a fair amount of gore. i cant wait until the movie comes out! i hope its good so they make all three!

13. tigersurgeon3

Omg!!!!!!!!! Love this series……….Hey can someone send me a friend request or something. I’m new and would really like some friends……tigersurgeon3
    Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    P.S. You can usually find me with the Harry Potter crowd :)

14. Isabel

the hunger games is an awesome book!!!!! i can’t stop reading it!!!!!!! I CAN’T WAIT UNTIL THE MOVIE COMES OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. pbpatrick

this is one of the very best books I have ever read! if you haven’t read it you should it is a really GREAT book I love reading it to my little sisters and they loved it just as much.

16. Sara

Omg!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hoping that the movie’s or tv shows are going to be awesome like the books. I’ve read all of them….They are really amazing. Katniss, Gale, and Peeta rock!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P haha

17. Emily

I am so excited for the Movie! I love, love, love the series and cant wait to see what it looks like in a movie. Hunger Games is my absolutely favorite book!

18. alywrites

LIAM HEMSWORTH?! I’ve read the whole series, and I’ve been a total Peeta fan from the start. I think I’m a Gale fan now! XD I loved him in The Last Song! Oh, and sooo excited for the movie!!
    @Taysia & @paco.haley YESSSSS! PARAMORE, PARAMORE! :D I ADORE “We Are Broken!” They DEFINITELY need some Paramore! (And maybe TSwfit, too!)

19. Taysia

I was really skeptical about the cast at first but now I think they’ll be really good. I hope they don’t take parts of the book out though. That just ruins everything.
    They should play the songs “The Only Exception” “Let the Flames Begin” and “We Are Broken.” by Paramore!! I love Paramore lol! =D

20. paco.haley

I had my doubts about reading these books, too. But then I read them, and now I’m totally obsessed. Katniss is my role model!!!
    I had made a track list for The Hunger Games and I burned discs for my friends. Here are my picks:
    1. When Everything Falls Back Down ft. Chelsea Kane-Action Item
    2. Get Away-Mitchel Musso
    3. Conspiracy-Paramore
    4. Ghost of You-Selena Gomez & the Scene
    5. Long Live-Taylor Swift
    6. Let the Flames Begin-Paramore
    7. Grenade-Bruno Mars
    8. The Way I Loved You-Selena Gomez & the Scene
    9. Fences-Paramore
    10. She’s So Gone-Naomi Scott
    11. The Only Exception-Paramore
    12. Move Along-The All-American Rejects
    13. Feeling Sorry-Paramore
    One more that I’d add is Iridescent by Linkin Park. That song makes me cry.

21. Jen

Sounds awesome…..I can’t wait to see it when it comes out. Hopefully, it’ll be as good as the books. :)

22. catvolleyball3

That’s cool! I’ve been waiting for news about the Hunger Games Movie since I heard about it. AWESOMENESS THAT THE MOVIE IS SOON!

23. Clara

I want the movie to come out too, but I’m just afraid that they’ll mess it up.
    @hydracyclops2: I understand your dilemma. I thought, “Everybody’s talking about how perfect this book is. It can’t be _that_ good – no book is.” And then I read it. And it was.

24. marta

i am on 100 minutes! cool i am going to win a bike. it is so cool i will try to read 1 hour! i will like the bike if i win it. its fun to read and thanks to john cena he wasw playing on hanna montna and he said read kids it will take you wondeful worlds. i like john cena so i am reading a lot.

25. stonefairy

Now that summer’s nearly here, I’ll have lots of time to read, and I really think I should read these books! Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth look like they’ll be pretty good. Ahh, I LOVE Stanley Tucci, Carly M! And super cool ideas for soundtrack songs… can’t wait to read the books now! (And then see the movie of course.)