June 17, 2011

Jim Carrey in Mr. Popper’s Penguins

Posted by at 1:52 am in Book to Big Screen, Celebrities | Permalink

Penguins03 Have you read the book Mr. Popper’s Penguins by Richard and Florence Atwater? It’s about a man who dreams of going to Antarctica, but never expects that Antarctica will come to him when he inherits a brood of penguins! The movie version starring Jim Carrey is coming out on Friday, June 17 and it looks really cute.

Scholastic News Kid Reporter, Damien Murphy, interviewed Jim Carrey to get the scoop on the movie and what it was like to work with the penguins.

Q: What are some of the things you learned about penguins making this movie?

Jim: First of all, they have all these little teeth inside their beaks that go backwards. So if you were to stick your finger in their mouth and they like bit your finger real hard, you wouldn’t be able to get your finger out. It’s like one of those snake teeth kind of things. It’s scary looking actually if you look at it. But they’re really cool; I really loved them. I had fun.

Q: What kinds of practical jokes did the penguins pull on you?
Jim: Well, you know, they poop a lot. They poop at the worse possible moments. You might be in the middle of a line and suddenly “Pthhh” and . . .”Cut!” And you know, there’s C.G. (computer generated) penguins and there’s robot penguins as well as the live penguins. The robot penguins were hilarious because every time somebody had their cell phone on, they would go crazy. The would go “Nnnnnnnnnn,” and their heads would shake all over the place!

Q: What temperature did you have to maintain on set with the penguins?
Jim: 30 degrees Fahrenheit. Cold! If the temperature went above 30 degrees, the the penguins would start to overheat. You could tell they were overheating because they would stick their flippers out really high sideways and hold them up. The trainer would say they are getting too hot. You have to be careful of that.

Q: What is the funniest thing about working with the penguins?
Jim: Getting bit a lot. I got bit—a lot. Because I’d get close to them in a scene, I’d have to like feed them fish in a scene or something and you can’t get your fingers out of the way fast enough, so they chomped on me a few times. And everyone had a good laugh about it—except me.

Q: What is the worst thing about living with penguins?
Jim: Well, there’s the poop factor. And they are really loud. They are super loud. They would be on another part of the stage and we would be in a part of a scene without penguins and you’d hear “WHaaaaaaaaaaaa!” They kind of sound like a velociraptor. Popper

Q: If you were to really inherit six animals, what kind of animal would you choose?
Jim: Penguins would be it. On the other hand, then I’d have to have my house be 30 degrees, so let me rethink that. Well, you know, Chinchillas look pretty cool. They are cute little fur balls that fly off the walls and stuff like that. That would be pretty fun.

What do you think? Have you read Mr. Popper’s Penguins? Are you excited about the movie? Let us know in the Comments.

1. julia

I just saw it saturday it was so funny plus the book is one of the best movies i ever saw it’s great for all ages 2 or 200:)

2. cameron

omg i love tht movie me and my mom saw it it is so funny and all the penguins r so cute they make me want a penguin and it made it even better tht jim carrey and it has a good meaning 2 even though in my opinion tht isnt really wat matters 2 me i think they should make another jim carrey movie but w diffrent animals and charactor

3. Alvina

I loved the book, but I do think the movie was better, and funnier. I thought the interview was great.

4. catcupcake6

i saw the movie and its not as funny as i thought it would be but it still was a really great movie!!!!! U should watch it!!!!

5. gigglydolphin31

if you guys have ever seen liar liar hes in the show and is halarious i havent seen the movie but i have seen the cover of the book if you have seen the book or the movie tell me if its good and if it is i will seggust it to everyone!!!

6. magicalvolleyball1

I read the Book in 2nd grade but i’m in 7th grade now already went to see the movie but I think I’m going to have to read the book again because I do NOT think it was the same of the book at all of what I can remember

7. Yul5

I read the book and it was good so i hope the movie will be as good as the book. Can’t wait to see the movie! :)

8. peckaroo

u made a mistake:On the bottom of the article, u put:What do think? U meant to put:What do you think? That’s a mistake! But kool article though,cute.:D

9. Hannah

Oh this movie is hilarious! I watched it and I totally loved it! It’s a great movie and everybody should watch it! I love when Captain (one of the penguins) flies with the kite in the sky. Awesome movie! :)

10. astronautsnake2

I haven’t read the book…I was planning on reading it when I saw the movie. It was hilarious and a nice family movie. Highly recommended! :)

11. Student13

I saw this movie it was great i woul loved to read the book but i can’t find it. it sound great I will look hard so i can read it I love jim carey he is sooo fuy i think he is a good actor !

12. cobrachief2

I seriously want to see that movie.And I think it is cool those penguins are from mystic.I just been there a little wile ago.:]

13. fearlessathena17

i ♥ mr. poppers penguins. i cant wait 4 the movie 2 come out me and my B.F. r gonna go c it.

14. Annie iPad

I can’t wait to see the movie! I read the book acfew days ago,and just can’t wait till the movie! Hurray Jim Carry!!!!!!
    Bye, Annie iPad

15. blackcat203

i loved the book,but the movie i don’t think going to so good ecept for when they “stepo change stepo change word”.(danced)

16. horsefly12

I’ve read the book four times and it just keeps getting funnier each time i read it. but I’m really looking forward to seeing the movie and watching it as many times as I can. It sounds really funny but, in one of the commarcials Jim Carrey calls ” triangle formation” or something like that.:) ;)

17. hamsterfuschia4

I loved that book it was so cute did a book project on it I’m so excited to see the movie looks so good and love Jim Carrey :)

18. silvermist

i read the book and i hope the movie is just as good! the penguins dancin are soooo funny i am seeing the movie today eeeeeeeeeeeeee
    i heart jim carrey

19. Celebrationangel1

i watched the movie and its hilarious!!!!!!i loved the movie!!!you guys should go see it it!!!Jim carrey was hilarious too!!

20. grapesnegotiator2

I really want to see the movie it looks so funny!
    nimrod seems so funny just because of his name

21. Sofia

Not going to see the movie at all because it is not going to be anything like the book and that is not right because the book was really think that it is not going to be good. Also I do not think that Jim Carrey is right for that part because this is a kind of seroius book and he is a comedy actor

22. slypanther1

I read the book and I think the movie doesn’t use the real story line… I am NOT going to see the movie!!

23. dolphincheerful11

i can’t wait for the movie to come out i liked the preview when the penguins and jim carrey where dancin and then one of the panguins fell over that was so hilariouse

24. cutie3500

I’ve read the book and the movie looks hilarious! I can’t wait to see it. Oh,and the song that shows the penguins personalities is hilarious, too.