May 11, 2011

Books About the Titanic Disaster

Posted by at 1:22 am in Reads | Permalink

Titanic_130x130 On a calm April night in 1912, the world's largest ship, Titanic, sank after crashing into an iceberg. On board were wealthy businessmen, movie stars, senior members of governments, and also poor immigrants dreaming of a new life in America. The most expensive cabin cost $80,000.00 in today's dollars!! They all believed the Titanic was "unsinkable," but they were wrong. More than 1,500 people died in the shipwreck.

I can't explain why, (I mean, it's totally sad that all those people died) but I have to admit being fascinated by this story. The ship was just so huge and expensive and nobody thought anything could ever happen to it. They didn't even have enough lifeboats on board to save all the people!

Lately, I've been seeing lots of books about the Titanic disaster, so for this month's book club, instead of just reading one book, I'm going to recommend a few Titanic books. Read one or read them all and tell us which is your fave. . .

Unsinkable Titanic: Unsinkable by Gordon Korman
Paddy is a stowaway, escaping a deadly past. Sophie's mother is delivered to the ship by police – after she and Sophie have been arrested. Juliana's father is an eccentric whose riches can barely hide his madness. And Alfie is hiding a secret that could get him kicked off the ship immediately. The lives of these four passengers will be forever linked with the fate of Titanic. And the farther they get from shore, the more the danger looms. . .

Isurvived I Survived the Sinking of the Titanic by Lauren Tarshis
Ten-year-old George Calder can't believe his luck—he and his little sister, Phoebe, are on the famous Titanic, crossing the ocean with their Aunt Daisy. The ship is full of exciting places to explore, but when George ventures into the first class storage cabin, a terrible boom shakes the entire boat. Suddenly, water is everywhere, and George's life changes forever. Read an excerpt here.

Voyage Dear America: Voyage on the Great Titanic by Ellen Emerson White
When Margaret's orphanage receives a request from an American woman looking for a traveling companion, Margaret's teachers agree that she is the perfect candidate to accompany Mrs. Carstairs on the Titanic. But her journey is thrown into a frozen nightmare when the ship collides with an iceberg. Margaret's diary records the unimaginable drama and anguish only a survivor could comprehend. Read an excerpt here.

Can you imagine what you would have done if you were on the Titanic that night? I'm pretty sure I would have been screaming my head off.

Do you know of any other good Titanic books to add to this list? Let me know in the Comments.

1. Sasha

My name is Sasha and I read all those books for school. I’m in advanced reading. I’m in 1st grade but can read at a high school level. Those books are all really cool and I recommend them. All the books are historical fiction so if you like history tune into these stories. Thanks for reading this and look for more posts that I update.

2. Jenna

I feel bad for people who died on Titanic…I reccomend a book called Exploring the Titanic: How the Great Ship Ever Lost- Was Found by Robert D. Ballard.I dont know if its from scholastic.I just found it in a deserted library,Quite interesting.Hope I helped!

3. PsychCrazy

I read the true account. It is called A Night to Remember. It gave a list of the survivors. There is also a book about the titanic in the Dear America series.

4. alywrites

I love everything about the Titanic, and it was such a terrible tragedy!
    Oh, and Voyage on the Great Titanic is a terribly awesome book! :)

5. kk818

The movie Titanic was AWESOME!!!it was really sad with the tragic love story of jack and rose.but it was also very exciting with all the action and drama.the books should be a million times better!!!I CANT WAIT TO READ THEM!!!I think the Titanic movie was awesome!!!:)

6. yenta36618

I love the book Titanic and the movie and sad though but it keeps you on the edge of your seat through the whole movie!!!

7. damaris

it was a tragedy that the ship drowm down. maybe those books are good. i perfer to read books about history.

8. applewriting3

I LOVE TITANIC IT IS MY FAVEROTE MOVIE I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE PEOPLE WHO LIKE OR LOVE THE TITANIC TO BE MY FREIND.
    I EVEN RED A BOOK ON IT AND I EVEN TRIED TO STOP MY SELF FROM READING ABOUT IT BUT I JUST CAN NOT STAY AWAY FROM THE MOVE OR BOOKS.
    DO YOU KNOW WHEN PEOPLE TRY TO STAY AWAY FROM WHUTE THEY LIKE BUT IT DOSE NOT WORK THAT IS HOW I FEEL.
    DO YOU KNOW WHEN SO ONE TRYS A NEW BOOK THEY THINK THEY WILL NOT LIKE AND THEN THEY GET TO WARE THEEY CAN NOT STOP READING IT THAT IS HOW I FEEL THAT IS WAY THERE IS SO MUCH WRITING HERE SO I CAN TELL YOU HOW MUCH I LOVE IT SO I AM WRITING REALLY FAST BECAUSE I GOT VERY EXSITED WHEN I SEEN THIS BILOG
    I LOVE BLOGING DO YOU?
    SO WHEN YOU GET TO THIS PART OF THE WRITING YOU WILL BRE LIKE WHEN WILL IT END. I CAN NOT LIE ON A COUPTER SO IT WILL END IN ABOUT 300 WORDS.
    I DO NOT REALLY KNOW WHEN IT WILL END THE MAD NESS.
    BUTIT SHUDE BE SUNE BECAUSE I STARTED THIS BLOG NOTE ABOUT 10 MINETS AGOW.
    I WILL NOY STOP WRITING IN TILL I GET A FREIND ON HERE.
    NO I AM JUST KIDING BECAUSE I WILL HAVE TO GO TO BED SONE AND I MOST LIKLEY WILL BE JUST ABOUT DOWNE HERE.
    AND NO ONE WILL MOST LIKLY GET THIS FAR ON MY WRITING ANY WAY OSO I DO NOT EVEN HAVE TO TCK ABOUT TITANIT ANY MORE BECAUSE I THINK I SAID ALL I NEED TOO SAY SWO I AM DONE WRITING NOW.
    FROM APPLEWRITING3.P.S SEND ME A FREIND POST ON MY PROFILE

9. growlingunlocking1

I am really looking forward to reading the book I Survived the Sinking of the Titanic by Lauren Tarshis.

10. Caitlin

I have read many books by Gordan Korman, and I am sure this one is good. The last book is very interesting. If you want a book with action and love in it, this is the book.

11. Book_Worm39

I have read all of the books above and agree with you. Even though it was a horrible event, you can’t help but to be sucked into the story of it. I have always been captivated by the Titanic and books about it. I am glad you showcased it.

12. Andrea

These books sound pretty cool! I read “I Survvived: The Sinking of the Titanic” and it was pretty good. It’s a sad story about the Titanic but it has been a good writing promptfor authers.

13. owlgirl

I liked the Magic Tree House Guidebook about the Titanic. It has lots of cool pictures and facts.

14. big sis karissa

that book called I survived the sinking of the titanic was he best id ever read well the first 10 pages at least

15. no1chocolategateau

When I think of the Titanic incedent it makes me want to cry!!!!!! But I will so definitely be buying the books.

16. francis

wow!!i love the books of the titanic it,it makes me have more info.about the titanic and thank you so much to have this kinda books!!!! ps.i love the titanic

17. stonefairy

The Titanic story is really sad, but it kind of fascinates me too. I don’t know what I would have done… probably tried to find something to float in, if at all possible.