April 15, 2011

AnnaSophia Robb in Soul Surfer

Posted by at 9:44 am in Book to Big Screen, Celebrities | Permalink

SoulSurfer_blog SOUL SURFER SPLASHES INTO THEATERS

Many of you have heard the true story of Bethany Hamilton. She was a teen surfer from Hawaii who had her arm bitten off in a shark attack in 2003. Against all odds, she returned to the water to surf again. And now you can see the movie chronicling her experience, Soul Surfer (rated PG) in theaters.

It stars AnnaSophia Robb (from Race to Witch Mountain, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and The Bridge to Terabithia) as Bethany Hamilton. AnnaSophia worked with Bethany and became friends with her doing the movie, and you can tell on screen. I recently saw the movie at a media screening, and thought it was amazing. But warning: it’s a tear jerker. I had to hold back tears several times, and judging from the sound of sniffles in the theater, so did my fellow movie reviewers (and these were adults by the way!).

Basically, the movie starts with Bethany as a kid, surfing in Hawaii. Born to famous surfing parents, she won her first surfing competition at age 8. She surfed with her best friend Alana, and they got sponsored by major surfing companies. On Halloween morning 2003, while they were surfing, a 14-foot tiger shark bit off her left arm. I swear I jumped a foot in my seat during this scene! I wasn’t expecting it at that point.

After undergoing many surgeries, and refusing a prosthetic arm, Bethany returned to surfing. Her whole struggle was gut wrenching. Her faith in God helped her a lot. In the movie, her youth group leader (played by Carrie Underwood) took her to Thailand to help the victims of a tsunami. This opened her eyes to others’ suffering, and eventually led her to leadership roles helping others. Not to mention, she also went on to win a 2007 National Surfing Championship, and turned pro!

On my way out of the movie, I was chatting with a New York City newspaper reporter, who was also reviewing the movie. She said she thought the acting was a bit melodramatic and overdone. I was like, “But the girl just got her arm bitten off by a shark!” Honestly, I forgave the drama in the movie. I thought it was really an amazing story, and the movie did it justice. I had known about the story from the news, but the movie really put a cool spin on it. It was very uplifting.

What do you guys think? Have you seen Soul Surfer or read the book? Drop a line in the Comments!

—Ratha, Stacks Writer

1. Abby

The movie was REALLY good.My grandpa lives in Hawaii and says he will get Bethany H. signature from somebody. Bethany is really pretty too! If I could have one person over for lunch,it would be her!

2. ABBEYYYYYYYYYYYY

i love this movie i loved it i watch it all the time it is so good!!!!!!!!!!!!
    it is so sad that she had to go thourght that stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. CutieKitKat

I’ve seen the movie twice and have read the book.I own the book.I hope to go to Hawaii,see her,and learn to surf.

4. greendolphin35

We were learning about courageous Christians because we were learning about how God helped them overcome these obstacles. It is amazing hearing about some of the things these people do, especially with God’s help.

5. greendolphin35

I am moved by this story. We were learning about courageous Christians in church, one of them being Bethany. I really want to watch the movie, seeing as though everyone loved it. Is ir really that skillful?

6. Kammi

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. skatingplains3

I LOVE THE MOVIE AND I LIKE HOW IT TELLS A TRUE STORY ABOUT A GIRL WHO LOOSES HER ARM I LIKE HAND SIGN IT MADE ME OBOUT CRY IT WAS SO TRUE ..I WONDER IF IT WILL COME OUT IN A BOOK IF IT DOSE IM READING IT I GIVE IT 5 STARS ON AWSOME NESS KEEP ON SURFING PEPOLE BUT BE CAREFUL

8. blackchatty1

I LOVE THE BOOK AND THE MOVIE SHE IS JUST LIKE ME I ALSO LOVE SURFING I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT SHARKS WHILE I DO IT BUT NOW I DO.

9. babytiger100

i really like bethany, she is one of my role models in life. i have seen the movie 2ce i have her devotion book,her q and a book, and im geting the book soul surfer!

10. beesmart2

everyone is talking about it!!!! everyone has learned to never give up on their dreams and to always give it a second chance!!!! we love that movie!!!

11. beesmart2

omg!!!! i love that movie!!! i haven”t seen it yet but heard its good!!!! want to see it really bad!!!!! you are the best actress ever!!!!

12. Lexi

I have not seen the movie yet. I now own the book and have almost finised. What I have seen in my amaginasion has given me the movie of how Hamiltion has wrote in her book.

13. tigerlily24

i sall it and i loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!U HAVE TO SEE IT! IT’S SO VERRY AWEOSM
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. SuperWeirdPerson

I watched the movie and i cried i will ask everyone to watch that inspiring and true story about how A girl never loses faith in herself and her board.

15. mz.keri baby

even though i havent seen the movie i bet it was good i will catch on dvd and i will watch it

16. cheyanne

I love you so so so so so
    much your a hero. I tried to watch your movie last week. you rock.
    I stanby you every step of the way. And Im very sorry
    about what happend to you.
    good luck

17. Alana

After seeing all the commercials and trailers of the movie, I was DYING to see Soul Surfer! But I still didn’t have time to watch it…

18. Cheerleader9231

The movie sounds awesome I would love to see it. I have a 3 page essay and I picked Bethany but didnt get her. She is a wonderful surfer and I would love to learn how to surf. I want to see the movie so bad!

19. tia

i a great movie u feel sorry but when she gets on her board but gives up but in her heart she want to get up and keeping going

20. percyj99

I saw the movie, and it was REALLY GOOD!!! It’s definately one of my favorite movies EVER.
    P.S. The scene where the shark bit her arm off wasn’t too bloody either.

21. skatingbiking1

if it werent for this movie i would never try out for my school band it inspired me sooo much

22. skatingbiking1

Saw the movie and it was not good it was amazing i think this is the best and most inspiering movie ive seen in my LIFE luv the begining love the ending want to see it again.i could watchit for years and not get tired of it

23. LHF

I loved this movie. i am a christian and i thought it was really cool that they put her fiath in God in the movie. I also liked how all the musicin it was sang by christian singers.

24. patience

iwant to see the movie sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad it looks so interesting

25. Soccerangel13

i havent seen soul surfer yet, im in book club at my school and im about to reaD THE BOOK. I CNT WAIT TO SEE THE MOVIE!!:D:D:D

26. pixieemerlad1

Just read it and me and my sister are so sad….poor Bethany!! Cannot wait to see the movie, keep doing what you’re doing Bethany!!!

27. Alexis

oh yeah i went to see that movie it was awsome i loved it soo much that i got to go home and my sister wanted to see it now and i got to go!!!!!!!!!

28. Claire

I really want to see that movie!!! I’ve wanted to see it since I saw the trailor!!! she is a real role model

29. jayjay1199

the movie was AWSOME!!!!!!!!! the shark really pops up!!!I brook my rist and thoult i could do nothing!! when i got it off i saw the movie!!!!!

30. taylor

omg seen it best movie ever did you know anna sophia roob dident have her arm bit of she was only in the part where she had two arms bethany the real girl played a stunt duble where she only had one arm cuz they couldent find a one armed stunt duble that could surf like bethany.i know that because i searched up on the internet

31. Harlie

im really interested to see the movie and read the book. if i bring my mom with me il have to bring at least 2 boxes of tissues:)

32. giraffefreak12

The movie looks soooooo good i really want to see real bad! I’ll probably read the book!
    -giraffefreak12(:

33. Annalise

I can’t wait to see this movie! Her true story about bravery inspires me and makes me want to work harder. I think the moral is: Always get back up!

34. orangeicecream1

AnnaSophia Robb is a great actress and was a good pick for this role. This story was tragic and I hope the best for AnnaSophia Robb and Bethany Hamilton.

35. Jordan

I really want to see the movie…..even though it might be sad I think it would be so awesome to see!! I think it got like 4 or 3 stars!! i also read the book it was really good just like the movie will be!!

36. ashley

i saw it and i hav to say it wuz the best movie i hav evr seen. it wuz so tuching and it wuz inspiring to people who are shy and scared to follow their dreams…and if there is one thing i learned from this movie it wud be: IMPOSSIBLE IS IMPOSSIBLE IF U HAVE FAITH, TRUST, LOVE AND SUPPORT…

37. lobsters4lunch

I like the book, it was so awesome and I want to watch the movie!!! If you watched the movie and you cried a lot I promise that the book will make you do the same, it was so sad at some points. I really look up to Bethany and so does my brother, who loves surfing. I want to watch the movie BADLY!!!

38. BrookeAnne

I saw that movie! It was really awesome! She is my hero! It’s just so amazing, the bravery out there! I love her!That is really cool! If you haven’t seen it yet, you should try your hardest to see it soon!!!!:)

39. pegasusathena1

I saw Soul Surfer. She did a great job. The movie did a good job telling the story of Bethany. I have read her biography too.

40. Linda

This movie shows that anyone who follows their dream and sticks to it through it all, they will achieve.So I say, believe in yourself and never lose faith

41. silllymonkeys

I saw this movie when it first came out last week. My review of the movie is that it is AMAZING. It is really inspirational, so I say go see this movie if the opportunity comes.

42. SkullGoth99

i’m gonna try seeing this movie with my mom in a couple of days. i didn’t really know what this movie was about till i read this. thankx a lot!

43. YellowWave6

That movie looks really good! Don’t you think so? I hope I can see it soon. I’d love to read the book, too. I’ll see if I can find the book at a library.

44. SnailSport

Ive seen the movie, Soul Surfer and im being honest: It is an exellent movie, it is also sad and scary but very amazing at the same time. To sum the movie up with one word i would say emotional. :D

45. jess

Thats so sad i feel very sorry for her i mean WOWIE just thinking about getting ur arm getting bitten off in a shark attack makes u wanna cry imagine it being a family member huh just wonder how her parents felt ……………awww

46. jaelyn

i loved soul surfer! i love how stong and powerful you were. the real girls story was sad i almost cried! yor are a such a good actor!

47. samantha

so, it looks good but kinda creepy. the girl is inspiring but im not really a surfing person. anyways, it’s probably still good.

48. cheetahdancer

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to see this movie so badly, my friend said it was really, really, good. There is a book like the movie and it is very good. You should read it!

1. Alex

With havin so much written connett do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright infringement? My site has a lot of unique connett I’ve either authored myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my agreement. Do you know any ways to help reduce connett from being stolen? I’d really appreciate it.

49. GryffindorWolf

I REALLY want to see that movie. It looks reeeeaaaly good. Isn’t it a book??? Well, I cannot WAIT to see it.

50. FashionArt2

You are a role model to many kids like me to encourage kids to never give up in what they love to do even if they can not do it the first time they try.

51. cnahk

My father had his leg chopped off in accident.But he runs the ranch,water skis,and snow skis.Without help he has a sense of humor.When I tell peolpe they are in shock and say how sorry they are and ask what its like.Its the same as a real dad.People get weird when he says he has to put his leg on.

52. cutie3500

Her arm was FULLY BITTEN OFF? That’s insain, but it didn’t look like she had lost an arm in the trailer and commercials. I wonder how Bethany Hamilton felt when her tragedy was first turned into a book, then a movie!

53. artblack2

Omg! that just broke my heart to hear that her arm got bitten off=(
    Anyways i really want to see it its sounds like a good movie.

54. ninjadragon99

I really want to see it, her story is so inspiring! I love that through it all, she never lost Faith, and that she just kept going and had the strength to get back on her board! she is a seriously inspiring person and I can’t wait to see the movie!!!!