February 7, 2011

Writing Prompt: A Doorway Leading to. . .

Rainbow_pen Recently, a couple of my friends went on vacation, and apparently encountered a magical portal to another world during their trip! At least, that’s what it looked like to me when they showed me this photo after their return:

doorway
As soon as I saw this pic, I envisioned a character pulling the door open to discover a whole new realm beyond. This road looks like it could be next to a castle, a row of country homes, farms, a deserted town, crazy upside-down houses, anything!

What do you think? What’s at the end of that road? What’s behind the hedge? Where do you imagine the doorway leads? Write your ideas in the Comments below!

— Karen, STACKS Staffer

1. Kaitlin

Oh my gosh! A lepercan just opened a door, that I thoght was just a wall!!! I keep on walking and talking in my movie voice. Then, I see it! It’s, it’s, a dumb old house.
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! The house is eating me!! maybe… I should’ve hadn’t called it…
    *CRUNCH*

2. Katie A

This made me think of someone standing at the door looking at the view.Watching the leaves blow in the wind from the doorway.

3. beesmart2

it leads to an unknown ghost town not even on the map. beyond the doorway awakes a secret cave filled with dark secrets.

4. Victor

Argh! I was grabbed from behind! Its hand covered my eyes and dragged me away from the doorway. What was going on?

5. Karen, STACKS Staffer

Wow, I cannot believe you guys are continuing to come up with such awesome ideas! Some make me shiver with apprehension, some make me want to race out the door, and some make me LOL. I love ‘em all!

6. b22

O M G im soo not goin out there their going to eat my brains and take my credit card and BMW please nooo i dont wanna go out side
    LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Madrigal Agent

It leads to castle, but Leonard remembered never to go beyond the door or the guards will get him and bring him to the queen. Most peasents had to memorise this passed down by their ancestors. Leonard however knew that if he never went past that door he would never knew what lied ahead. Even if he died, he would know what lied ahead.

8. Artemis

I really hope it leads to a suit of awesome magic armor and a mystical white horse so I could finally be a knight. Or even a coupon for ice cream, 50% off baby!

9. british

the doorway is an illusion. you may think it leads to the outside, but that is a mirror image of the area behind you. there is a sliver of space between mirror and the place where the doorway leads. squeeze through it, and you will uncover an etheral world, completely different from your own.

10. rock255

That doorway this doorway leads to what every thing the world could be simple beautiful peacful the world in it’s shining former glory!

11. haymaze44

I think it’s an archway to the next life, like, you know, the veil in HP. Once you cross throughi t there’s no going back.

12. lordofawesomeness

The doorway leads into a gold mine where a secret jewel has yet to be found by a young boy and his imagination. The jewel is blue can be dangerous and can fall into the wrong hands, will this jewel sace the world or indanger it?
    Tee Hee X3

13. letsgo2play

Uhh…cool! I’m, like, totally into imagination too, but for me,, it would be a very mysterious place! I like mysteries, or maybe I’m just reading too much Nancy Drew…

14. athenagyrl

The door leads to a secret town and the people living there don’t want any one to know. Still thinking of more stuff but this could totally become a novella!

15. Kayla

The road leads to a large silver gate, beyond which is located a magical land home to nearly every mythological creature imaginable — fairies, elves, dragons, phoenixes, unicorns, werewolves… Regal castles belonging to the respected human rulers of the land spring up every one-hundred feet, donning intricate architecture and stunning, vibrant jewels of every color. The foliage is lush and healthy, the ponds are pearly and placid, and the marble sky is always a soft tint of lilac blended with milky white.

16. winterblitz

do not go outside. you must wait until the flying monkeys from the planet Goren rescue you from the invisible ninjas. you will encounter them if you step outside. if th monkeys do not rescue you within 24 hours, you have General Whozizface’s permission to take the magical slingshot for protection. if you must do it, be careful, as they are invisible.

17. queenpeanut01

I think it goes to 2 roads 1 to a castle war and 2 to a gingerbread house where a lolipop is dancing out front singing