February 11, 2011

Wherefore Art Thou Gnomeo?

Posted by at 2:56 am in Book to Big Screen | Permalink

Photo_gnomeo Carly M.'s cute Create a Caption post with David the Gnome mentioned the new movie Gnomeo and Juliet. Well today, we've got a more complete story.

"O Romeo, Romeo! Wherefore art thou Romeo?" You guys may have heard of this line. It's a line from the famous William Shakespeare play Romeo and Juliet, and maybe even one of the most famous lines in literature! I think I was in 10th grade when I first read Romeo and Juliet. Once I got past the old English style of writing (lots of thou, thy, and doth), I was convinced it was one of the saddest love stories of all time.

Here's a short recap: Two feuding families, the Capulets and the Montagues, had a nasty history of killing each other. Juliet is a Capulet. Romeo is a Montague. They fall in love with each other. This can't be good right? Well, it gets worse. They keep their love hidden from their families. They secretly get married. Then when Juliet's family is about to force her to marry another guy named Paris, she confides in her family priest. The priest gives her a sleeping potion that will make her seem dead. The message is supposed to get to Romeo that she's really NOT dead. But the message gets mixed up, and he thinks she really IS dead. He goes to her sleeping body (which appears to be dead) and is determined to be with her in death, so he nixes himself. Juliet wakes up to a dead Romeo. So she nixes herself as well. Sad, and a little twisted, right?

Gnomeo_500x375
Well – cut to 400 years later and add some wacky Hollywood magic. Turn Romeo and Juliet into animated garden gnomes. What do you get? Gnomeo and Juliet. The new movie hits theaters today. It looks pretty funny. And you never know. It may get people back into reading Shakespeare. . . the way Percy Jackson got me back into reading Greek mythology!

And here's a tip for a laugh. The next time your parents (or brother or sister) say goodnight to you, if you really want to WOW them, try quoting shakespeare. Simply say, "Parting is such sweet sorrow. That I should say goodnight, till it be morrow." No doubt they will be impressed.

What do you guys think of Gnomeo and Juliet? How do you think Romeo and Juliet will be interpreted by garden gnomes? Drop a line and let us know in the Comments!

—Ratha, Stacks Writer

1. Makenzie

I saw Gnomeo and Juilet and my favorite oart is when Gnomeo is on the statue of William Shakespeare and they are having a conversation

2. bumblebeebuzz

This movie has a cut twist! I think they were smart cause who care about shakespear. the kids would have been like,” Shakewho???”

3. lucke1027

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. panthergirl245

wow im not interested in reading the original romeo juliet thing but this movie seems extremley cute i love the idea of red gnomes and blue gnomes instead of 2 different families. i think this will be a great movie for kids and grownups alike. i cant wait to see it and how cute are those gnomes

5. isaiah

I really do not have that much hope for this movie. I saw a commercial for it, and let’s just say that it did not impress me! This movie may end up to be good, but I am not going to waste money to see it in the movie theater.
    i agree if they don’t die whats the point i get that it is a kids movie but look at bambi the mom gets hunted and killed

6. tutu656

My friend at school went to see it and said it was pretty good. I’ve seen the commercial and THAT was pretty good for a commercial. See you on the big screen, Gnomeo and Juliet!

7. Sallyranch

I sooooooo want to see the movie!!!! I heard it was really, really good!!!! I just can’t wait to see it, then all my questions will be solved!!!!

8. snow dove

i want to see that movie really badly. i love the song”crocodile love”by nelly fertodo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Artemis13

That sounds very interesting I haven’t seen Romeo and Juliet in any form so I hope I shall be able to watch this film <3
    Cute gnomes..

10. paco.haley

Dudes, yes, it’s true it’s about the forbidden romance between Romeo Montague and Juliet Capulet. Ratha didn’t say “Romeo Capulet and Juliet Montague”, she just said Capulets and Montagues.
    I love the story of Romeo and Juliet (we read it in class on Friday). My favorite part is where Benvolio and Mercutio are talking. Benvolio goes, “My head! There is Tybalt of the Capulets!” and then Mercutio goes, “My heel! I care not!”. That was funny.
    I would like to see Gnomeo and Juliet. I’m just hoping they don’t make a fool out of the greatest and most tragic love story of all time.

11. Owl Guardin

I saw the movie yesterday an it was AWSOME i saw it in three dee i liked the flamingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Lizzie

I did Shakespeare plays in my class.Luv Romeo and Juliet.So sad….The movie sounds interesting.The gnome part is kinda twisted and creepy….

13. rainbowgirl080

this movie seems so good i want to see it so bad. but do the realy die in the movie. i dont think they will thoe

14. Cooly 11

Actually, I think you are wrong. ROMEO is a Montague, and JULIET is a Capulet, from what I recall. I might see Gnomeo and Juliet soon, but I doubt there will be any deaths. (It is a kids movie!) Our class preformed Romeo and Juliet. Can’t wait to see it!

15. late night reader

16. stonefairy

I really want to see this movie! It looks so funny and cute. I wonder if they die in the end like they’re supposed to… probably not but I still want to see it!

17. 44maplesyrup

they probablychanged the end in the movie to make it for kids. i don’t think kids will want to read shakespear becuz of it though.they’ll be like,”ok cute movie” and won’t think about where it came from.