January 31, 2011

Will 2012 Bring the End of the World?

Posted by at 10:16 am in News, Writing Prompt | Permalink

Writingprompt_generic There has been some talk on the Save the Planet Message Board about the theory that the world will come to an end in 2012. But don't start the panic yet! Much like the buildup to Y2K. which was the belief that all the computer systems would crash when 1999 became 2000, the end of the world theory has gotten a lot of press. But it probably will not happen.

Here's the story. . .

Back in the day, like around 5 BC. through 1200 AD, the ancient Maya Indian civilizations of Mexico, Guatemala, Belize developed calendars to keep track of celestial movements and time passage. Their calendar system used tools that measured shadows, and watched the horizon to trace the movement of the stars, sun, and planets. Their calendar was called The Long Calendar. Let me tell you why it's long: because it lasts over 5000 years! After 5,125 years, it resets to zero (0). The current long count began in 3114 BC. And it will end very soon. In fact, it will end on December 21, 2012.

Dum de dum dum (the sounds of doom).

The Maya predicted that the world as we know it would have a cataclysmic change because each time the Long Count Calendar ends, something crazy happens. They believed in each age (each 5000 years) the gods try to create obedient creatures. The "First Age" began with the creation of the Earth, and its plants and animals. Unfortunately, because they couldn't speak, the birds and animals were unable to pay homage to the gods and were destroyed. In the Second and Third Ages the gods created humans of mud and then wood, but these also failed to please and were wiped out.

We are currently in the Fourth and Final Age, the age of humans. But how are we doing? That remains to be seen. There are a lot of environmental problems, wars, and other events that may seem to lead to our destruction, but combined, these don't seem like they'd lead to the end of the world.

Also – since the Mayans were very connected to astronomy, it's important to note the Solstice connection. On the winter solstice on December 21, 2012, the sun will be aligned with the center of the Milky Way Galaxy for the first time in about 26,000 years. Some believe that this will disrupt whatever normal energy usually streams to the earth from the center of the Milky Way. Hmmm. It's all supposed to go down at 11:11 pm Universal Time on 12/21/12. But I don't think the Maya meant it literally. A lot of things could happen. Or nothing at all. Or maybe it is a chance for spiritual change. Kind of like an environmental wake up call.

What do you guys think? What do YOU think is going to happen on 12/21/12? Let us know in the Comments below!

-Ratha, Stacks

1. bookwormpiglet5

I do not think it will. I believe whatever the Bible says! :) Kids in my school are counting down but it doesn’t scare me!I think we will live longer than 13 days!

2. Emma

I agree with comment number 10. I believe the only person who knows what is going to happen tomorrow is God. So, tomorrow is only a question. What will happen? The only thing we can say is wait it’ll come when it comes. If the world does end we will just have to deal with it just like we deal with everything else. That is the only thing we can say.

3. Sammie

Whether the world ends or not we don’t know if you want my answer i say NO NOT IN ONE MILLION YEARS sorry if that was mean but hey you don’t know it’ll end just yet so relax even if we get hit with a meteorite it might have agenie in it ,have ya ever read christmas genie?

4. Chanse

Hey, Magik1234! How could the Mayans rule our country if they disappeared? And if they didn’t disappeared, how could they rule OUR country if they live in CENTRAL AMERICA!

5. Anonymous

I think nothing will happen because
    1. According to scientists, Earth will blow up in a 5.2 million years but we’ll have space shuttles and find another planet.
    2.Mayans probably miscalculated.
    3. Maybe we didn’t translate it right.

6. dogghost46

Call me me crazy, but I belive in ghosts, but not the end of the world. I mean really!!!! The world is not ending in 14 days. If it does i will be so sad…… christmas 2012 would never come!!!!! =(

7. Cutie3500

I honestly don’t believe the world is gonna end. The whole calendar is based on how Mayan gods created the Earth, and those just aren’t my religious beliefs. I’ll stay up ’til mignight on December 21, and I’ll be like “5…4…3…2…1…Nothing happened. I KNEW IT!” Hehehe.

8. Lisa

I don’t think the world is going to end, The Mayans forgot that 2012 is a leap year and has 366 days. So if it was going to end, it would ended a day before or after the 21st. Besides, in the Bible, God says no one on Earth knows when the world would end. Meaning it not going to happen this year.

9. elfheroine1

I’m not so superstitious! I believe it will end when God wants it to end. Anyway the Mayans are all dead, so why believe them?

10. dolphingirl588

The Mayans created and founded chocolate!! Those people are really cool. No Mayans,no candy bars,no hot chocolate no chocolate anything! The world will not end on the day 4 days before Christmas!! Santa would have killed the Mayans early on if they did that!! Maybe that’s why they disappeared.
    *nods* Yeah.

11. dolphingirl588

I think instead of us getting killed like dinos. UNICORNS WILL COME TO LIFE!! Silly Noah forgot to put them on his ark. Now EVERYONE will get a unicorn. The unicorns will be able to shrink to the size of an ant so you can bring yours to school. But on December,21 2012 we’ll all have a screen in front of us that lets us make our own unicorns!! YAY!! WOO-HOO! So,then we could fly to anywhere. We could fly to anywhere! AWESOME!!!

12. dolphingirl588

Well,that is plain SILLY!! The Mayans probably got tired when they got to December 21,2012 or they died on that day. In another comment I’ll say what I think is gonna happen.

13. indigowizard3

It really ends on 11:11 on the winter solstice? Awesome! I can’t wait to see the astronomical coolness when it all goes down!

14. Natasha

I don’t think so but we’ll have to find out!! I saw a T.V. show about it and WOW, it was convincing! I am a little nervous. BUT… I hope not!!

15. Pinkdolphin1502

wow only 16 days away from “the end of the world”
    I think it is just a myth and everything
    will be OK.
    We’ll just have to wait and see. Kiss kiss! oxoxoxox

16. Connor the Man who knows all

I think the tv peeps are just trying to make money think of it this way! They are selling survival kits for the APOCALYPSE!!!!!!! they won’t work!

17. werewolfcat5

Well,last year I did believe a little that 2012 was coming to an end but now it’s 2012 and we’re still alive! No,I think the world will end when its 2013!

18. John

The world ends on 21 December — great!!! Now, I have a good reason to put off Christmas shopping until the 24th.