January 31, 2011

Will 2012 Bring the End of the World?

Posted by at 10:16 am in News, Writing Prompt | Permalink

Writingprompt_generic There has been some talk on the Save the Planet Message Board about the theory that the world will come to an end in 2012. But don't start the panic yet! Much like the buildup to Y2K. which was the belief that all the computer systems would crash when 1999 became 2000, the end of the world theory has gotten a lot of press. But it probably will not happen.

Here's the story. . .

Back in the day, like around 5 BC. through 1200 AD, the ancient Maya Indian civilizations of Mexico, Guatemala, Belize developed calendars to keep track of celestial movements and time passage. Their calendar system used tools that measured shadows, and watched the horizon to trace the movement of the stars, sun, and planets. Their calendar was called The Long Calendar. Let me tell you why it's long: because it lasts over 5000 years! After 5,125 years, it resets to zero (0). The current long count began in 3114 BC. And it will end very soon. In fact, it will end on December 21, 2012.

Dum de dum dum (the sounds of doom).

The Maya predicted that the world as we know it would have a cataclysmic change because each time the Long Count Calendar ends, something crazy happens. They believed in each age (each 5000 years) the gods try to create obedient creatures. The "First Age" began with the creation of the Earth, and its plants and animals. Unfortunately, because they couldn't speak, the birds and animals were unable to pay homage to the gods and were destroyed. In the Second and Third Ages the gods created humans of mud and then wood, but these also failed to please and were wiped out.

We are currently in the Fourth and Final Age, the age of humans. But how are we doing? That remains to be seen. There are a lot of environmental problems, wars, and other events that may seem to lead to our destruction, but combined, these don't seem like they'd lead to the end of the world.

Also – since the Mayans were very connected to astronomy, it's important to note the Solstice connection. On the winter solstice on December 21, 2012, the sun will be aligned with the center of the Milky Way Galaxy for the first time in about 26,000 years. Some believe that this will disrupt whatever normal energy usually streams to the earth from the center of the Milky Way. Hmmm. It's all supposed to go down at 11:11 pm Universal Time on 12/21/12. But I don't think the Maya meant it literally. A lot of things could happen. Or nothing at all. Or maybe it is a chance for spiritual change. Kind of like an environmental wake up call.

What do you guys think? What do YOU think is going to happen on 12/21/12? Let us know in the Comments below!

-Ratha, Stacks

1. Asdffdsa

I don’t believe that the world will end then. Nobody knows when the world will end.
    Matthew 24:36 says, “But of that day and hour knows no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.” (KJV)

2. Mac

yeah, i’m so sure it’s going to end. Just because some people say it’s going to be “THE END” doesn’t mean it is! Who’s with me?

3. redhorse20

A bazillion other things have been supposed to kill us, but none of it has. I believe that God knows when the world will end.

4. Angelamber38

Well, its been 5000 years, like it said so, something could of stopped it. Theres a 99.99999999 precent chance its not gonna happen. But it said online “what nasa is hiding from the world” So it still posibble with a 0.00000001 precent chance I dont totally newspaper articles, but 2012 been on the cover 2 times. in. OCTOBER. 2011 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Brendan

Maybe the mayans were like “Whoa. This is 2012. Why do we care? Lets just end it, cause we’re not gonna be alive then.” So they just ended it on dec. 21st. There’s no way the world will end then.

6. Singingdolphin46

I know some people might not believe in God, but I do.
    I believe that:
    God created the world.
    He will end it.
    No one (Not even Jesus)knows when the end of the world happens BUT God.
    I know some people don’t believe this but I do.
    I seriously doubt the end of the world will happen then.
    There are going to be alot of signs from the Bible. The Mayan calendar predicting the world ending in 2012 is not one of them in it.
    Sorry mods if this is too religion-y. I just wanted to put in my input. :)

7. drawingart29

I highly dout the world would end because I think they are just making this up and the movie “2012″ is all just a big joke(fake). Totally don’t believe THIS!!!!

8. ado

well it is going to end on 12/21/12 there is going a valcano to erupt and feriy astroids going to hit the earth and the tsuanmi

9. Clara

True story that took place around mid-December 1999:
    Random person: *knocks on door of my neighbor’s house*
    My neighbor: *opens the door*
    Random person: “Prepare yourself! The world is going to end in a few weeks!”
    My neighbor: “Don’t be silly! Everybody knows that the world’s going to end in 2012.” *slams the door*

10. legit/awsome/cool

I really want to say that whoever came up with the comment #13 has quite an imagination.It totally made me LOL.
    And if I could add to the story, I would say that Wizards of Waverly Place would step in and give Justin Beiber super powers or something. It would be really funny if they would sing to the death, and everybody-after the bunnies took them home- would be singing “baby, baby, baby,oh!”

11. Anya

No offense but Science has nothing to with an opinion because it doesn’t help you make your point a whole lot better and by the way I’m only 9 so I’m not an adult or cheating and finding all these answers from some site. If you actually listen to your teachers then actually tell you some valuable information!

12. Anya

Some of you guys kind of explain the truth again but the sun can’t die out??? It doesn’t power anything except Solar Panels but I am going to tell you this: ” The sun can not die out.” Why? First law of conservation: Energy can not be created or destroyed only changed. Is the moon and sun energy? Yes.

13. Anya

The world will not end well it will end but just because it will turn 2012 doesn’t mean it’s the end of the world. Because the Mayans said it turns back down to 0. So it’s the end of the calender not the world. Also, somebody has to write a new one or as the Mayan’s said make another one to last for 5,000 years. I hope you get my point and no one goes against it because this is only my opinion. But I still hope people understand the meaning of this. But if anybody wants to know this, I’ll tell you guys all the bad news that WILL happen in like a long time but.. If you guys don’t want to be desperate for the rest of your lives I suggest you don’t read this but here goes: In a really really long time from now the world will end because the moon will eventually get farther and farther from earth well it already is getting farther from earth now as the years go by but anyway the moon will get all the way farther from the earth and eventually get out of the same ring as the earth and go on in the Solar System and find a new ring but then if there’s no moon the earth would be probably ruined and everything but that’s what I believe is the truth.

14. felisha

no, the world will not end in 2012 because they say it will but,they have been saying that it would like 3 or 4 years a go but did it no it didnt but if the sun gets hotter then a lighting strike then we will all die which if the sun right now below if it keeps on raining like this it will happen soon