January 31, 2011

Will 2012 Bring the End of the World?

Posted by at 10:16 am in News | Permalink

Writingprompt_generic There has been some talk on the Save the Planet Message Board about the theory that the world will come to an end in 2012. But don’t start the panic yet! Much like the buildup to Y2K. which was the belief that all the computer systems would crash when 1999 became 2000, the end of the world theory has gotten a lot of press. But it probably will not happen.

Here’s the story. . .

Back in the day, like around 5 BC. through 1200 AD, the ancient Maya Indian civilizations of Mexico, Guatemala, Belize developed calendars to keep track of celestial movements and time passage. Their calendar system used tools that measured shadows, and watched the horizon to trace the movement of the stars, sun, and planets. Their calendar was called The Long Calendar. Let me tell you why it’s long: because it lasts over 5000 years! After 5,125 years, it resets to zero (0). The current long count began in 3114 BC. And it will end very soon. In fact, it will end on December 21, 2012.

Dum de dum dum (the sounds of doom).

The Maya predicted that the world as we know it would have a cataclysmic change because each time the Long Count Calendar ends, something crazy happens. They believed in each age (each 5000 years) the gods try to create obedient creatures. The “First Age” began with the creation of the Earth, and its plants and animals. Unfortunately, because they couldn’t speak, the birds and animals were unable to pay homage to the gods and were destroyed. In the Second and Third Ages the gods created humans of mud and then wood, but these also failed to please and were wiped out.

We are currently in the Fourth and Final Age, the age of humans. But how are we doing? That remains to be seen. There are a lot of environmental problems, wars, and other events that may seem to lead to our destruction, but combined, these don’t seem like they’d lead to the end of the world.

Also – since the Mayans were very connected to astronomy, it’s important to note the Solstice connection. On the winter solstice on December 21, 2012, the sun will be aligned with the center of the Milky Way Galaxy for the first time in about 26,000 years. Some believe that this will disrupt whatever normal energy usually streams to the earth from the center of the Milky Way. Hmmm. It’s all supposed to go down at 11:11 pm Universal Time on 12/21/12. But I don’t think the Maya meant it literally. A lot of things could happen. Or nothing at all. Or maybe it is a chance for spiritual change. Kind of like an environmental wake up call.

What do you guys think? What do YOU think is going to happen on 12/21/12? Let us know in the Comments below!

-Ratha, Stacks

1. TARYN

I DON`T THINK SO BECAUSE I BELIVE THAT WE CAN MAKE THIS WORLD A BETTER WORLD ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS WASH IN COLD WATER,HANG YOUR CLOTHES UP ON A LINE, RECYCLE ,AND PICK UP TRASH DONT JUST PASS IT PICK IT UP.REMEBER WHAT I SAID DON`T PANIC BELIVE IN YOURSELF ALLWAYS KNOW MATTER WHAT IS GOING ON DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO MAKE IT RIGHT. LOVE TARYN

2. mintchocolatechip100

Practically every ancient civilization has some “lost” thing. There’s probably some lost mayan calendar that no one has found. Plus, ancient people believed in some really wacky things. Modern people do too! Honestly, I would love to see the look on people’s faces when they realize the world’s NOT going to end! :)

3. mockingjay mania

well her is my thinking. if on the solstice the sun is supposed to be in the center of the hgalaxy, and this happens every 26,000 years, why didnt it happen 26,000 years ago? what makes 2012 any different? what is the logical explination for the world to just simoltaniously end. the earth has been around for 4 billion years. and if this thing haoppens every 26000 years, wouyldnt it have happned millions of times? and the world didnt end or else we wouldnt be here. and why woulld theere be tsunamies, earthquakes, wars, huricanes,etc… all of a sudden right out of the blue? it dosent make sence for that to happem. and their calander was off. so the date they chose actually happned a cupple thousand years ago. and even if the date was right, couldnt it just mean that the calander will just start over again? there is some evidence that shows that it is just the end of one period and the begining of another. the only thing that i could think of that could happen that would cause the world to end would be if the sun suddenly had a massive solar flair that was big enough to destroy our eletromatic field and expose every creature to intence levels of radiation basicall killing all life forms on earth. the chances of that are next to 0. i think that nothing will happen.

4. Yellowdolphin

On december 21st 2012 Dinosours will fall out of the sky including Rex from Toy Story. He will bring us to Disney world and force us to play Toy Story Mania. Then, we will all swim in a swimming pool in the middle of times square and clifford the big red dog will want us to get Big macs and after that, Allie Finkle will play Tic Tac Toe with Steven Tyler and poor Steve the sock puppet will get swallowed by a hippogriff and then we will all go to bed at our houses.

5. Yellowdolphin

I honestly don’t think that the world is going to end, but we have been getting so much snow in the past couple years that who knows, maybe the snow will be come really high and trap us inside our houses, or I think that someone came up with it and it’s all a scam to make money on the movie 2012. Another could be they ran out of ink. It takes a lot of ink to write that much.

6. Goldeneagle343

I believe that the world isn’t going to end on 2012.It’s just people being paranoid, just like Y2K. But,it’s just my opinion.

7. MJfan277

Also I the half that says no, is bcuz, when i was taking a tour of a college for my sister, the classes said, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016. Whadda think?

8. MJfan277

I was so scared after i saw 2012, so i was freaking out. People told me it was a myth. Half of me thinks yes, half of me thinks no. :( :) ?????? IDK!

9. lolo071800

My version is….
    One day the Mayans were writing the calendar and their hands got tired. The next day, the Mayans got destroyed. the people who destroyed the Mayans thought the stopping point meant something more serious than tired hands. They tell their leader and he freaks out and tell the world that it means we will loose pizza! As years went by, the people turn it into different problems. Examples are: In 1700 the Continent of Africa will be destroyed!, China will become the worst manufacturers in The world!, ect. It eventually became, “The world is going to end!” Just like the other things didn’t happen, the world ending will not happen either. But i am still sorta scared:)

10. Jasmine

I saw part of the movie,2012. But my step mom says, “The Earth will go down in flames like how Earth didn’t end in Noah’s Ark but He flooded the entire world and won’t happen for millions of years (the flames). Or when God decides Earth comes to a end.

11. bluecookiedough

@catching_fire
    Very nice.
    I like the Voldemort wearing the Packers uniform.
    This could be a very interesting story idea.
    *nods back*

12. skullz00

the world could end any second, any day,any year I think its all up to Jesus when it ends. i dont believe scientists

13. firestar28

Here’s my version! Animals will talk, it will rain food,people will wear clothes from the 1700′S and People will sprout wings.

14. famkas20

Supersitiious person on 12/21/12 : AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE’RE GOING TO DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    *cries hysterically*
    Me: Relax, look at this.
    *shows her this site*
    Superstitous person: Oh. Relax everyone, we’re going to be safe.

15. R

I don’t think the world will end in 2010 because if the world has been going this long, why would it all of a sudden end? And also what would a calender mean to us today, if it was created thousands of years ago! Yes, it is very old but that doesn’t mean that it is right!

16. ilovepercyandmax

Nothing. I’m a Christian, and I don’t believe in that kind of stuff. I DO believe that if people keep ruining the environment, there could be an environmental disaster. So, 12/21/12 will just be a normal day. See you on 12/23!

17. Magik1234

Actually, the world will not end in 2012. How do I know? Well, I know this because the Sun will heat up, but it will not be destroyed and eat the Earth up. Second, the Mayan calander, the calander only ends in 2012, but the world won’t end. Also, the Mayans had predicted that the world would end, and this was many years ago. If the Mayans were right that time, they’d probably be ruling our country.

18. OathOblivion

Over all, I think we are perfectly fine with that info above. (they are 100% true. If a mistake is found. please post)