January 31, 2011

Will 2012 Bring the End of the World?

Posted by at 10:16 am in News, Writing Prompt | Permalink

Writingprompt_generic There has been some talk on the Save the Planet Message Board about the theory that the world will come to an end in 2012. But don't start the panic yet! Much like the buildup to Y2K. which was the belief that all the computer systems would crash when 1999 became 2000, the end of the world theory has gotten a lot of press. But it probably will not happen.

Here's the story. . .

Back in the day, like around 5 BC. through 1200 AD, the ancient Maya Indian civilizations of Mexico, Guatemala, Belize developed calendars to keep track of celestial movements and time passage. Their calendar system used tools that measured shadows, and watched the horizon to trace the movement of the stars, sun, and planets. Their calendar was called The Long Calendar. Let me tell you why it's long: because it lasts over 5000 years! After 5,125 years, it resets to zero (0). The current long count began in 3114 BC. And it will end very soon. In fact, it will end on December 21, 2012.

Dum de dum dum (the sounds of doom).

The Maya predicted that the world as we know it would have a cataclysmic change because each time the Long Count Calendar ends, something crazy happens. They believed in each age (each 5000 years) the gods try to create obedient creatures. The "First Age" began with the creation of the Earth, and its plants and animals. Unfortunately, because they couldn't speak, the birds and animals were unable to pay homage to the gods and were destroyed. In the Second and Third Ages the gods created humans of mud and then wood, but these also failed to please and were wiped out.

We are currently in the Fourth and Final Age, the age of humans. But how are we doing? That remains to be seen. There are a lot of environmental problems, wars, and other events that may seem to lead to our destruction, but combined, these don't seem like they'd lead to the end of the world.

Also – since the Mayans were very connected to astronomy, it's important to note the Solstice connection. On the winter solstice on December 21, 2012, the sun will be aligned with the center of the Milky Way Galaxy for the first time in about 26,000 years. Some believe that this will disrupt whatever normal energy usually streams to the earth from the center of the Milky Way. Hmmm. It's all supposed to go down at 11:11 pm Universal Time on 12/21/12. But I don't think the Maya meant it literally. A lot of things could happen. Or nothing at all. Or maybe it is a chance for spiritual change. Kind of like an environmental wake up call.

What do you guys think? What do YOU think is going to happen on 12/21/12? Let us know in the Comments below!

-Ratha, Stacks

1. emeraldpurple31

Oh my goodness!!!!!!!!The world will end in just a few
    days!!!!I’m so scared!!I need to see my Christmas presents though!!

2. FAT ALBERT!

HEY HEY HEY I’M FAT ALBERT! I’m gonna sing a song or two… Bill’s gonna show you a thing or two.. We’ll have fun, me and all the gang! Workin’ together that’s how we do our thang!

3. Katie

Ok this is just my opinion!
    Only GOD will know when the world will end. There will be seven bad years before the world ends. Jesus will come back and take all the people who deserve it to heaven!

4. Dumb

People! Did u watch the movie 2012? It showd that as early as feburary signs were showing like huge cracks in the roads etc. but I don’t trust the Mayan calendar or some dumb movie. I believe that in Islam, god sends signs turn by turn. And it says in the religion that a dude will come and wipe out more than half of humanity. Then Jesus will come and defeat him. The English version of the Koran explains the final day. The words are very strong. I believe that Jesus will come. The arrival if Jesus.

5. Samantha

I don’t believe in it. The Mayans could have did something else like building a new temple or something like that.

6. tommy

I really do not think the world will end in 2012. it might in like a billion years but i’m possitivle sher earth whont end on 12/21/12. besids if it dose we can’t do anything about it.
    “I’m still a litte bit scard

7. AwesomeLife61

Guys, I just think that we have to let it go. I mean, it’s not like we can do anything about it, right? So I say we just live our lives and enjoy it while we can. :) And we can stop thinking about the future. Let it come.

8. Mellissa

rumors are also going around that the world will end but truth be told that it’s because its based on the mayan calendar it just ends on a certain day because of what ari said (comment)it doesnt mean the world is over

9. Mellissa

about 4 planets will line up perfectly along the milky way about every million years and they cause not the world to end but to make the earth dark and cold on the 21st of december even scientists approved of it but i cant really tell if it will become dark and cold and end on christmas eve or not all we have to do is wait be patient and just wait for the results our selves we’ll believe it when we see it our selves so dont believe what others say just believe in the prediction you think is correct

10. winterdolphin12

heres my idea unicorns will take the person they want zendaya coleman will come with bad news that voldimort has prepared a troll army and we are sucked in a portal to the world of unicorn and pokemon then justin bieber sings baby and boyfriend then voldimort comes in a miami dolphins tee and says charge and they run into a wall then voldimort and justin bieber have a pop battle the end volia