January 31, 2011

Will 2012 Bring the End of the World?

Posted by at 10:16 am in News | Permalink

Writingprompt_generic There has been some talk on the Save the Planet Message Board about the theory that the world will come to an end in 2012. But don’t start the panic yet! Much like the buildup to Y2K. which was the belief that all the computer systems would crash when 1999 became 2000, the end of the world theory has gotten a lot of press. But it probably will not happen.

Here’s the story. . .

Back in the day, like around 5 BC. through 1200 AD, the ancient Maya Indian civilizations of Mexico, Guatemala, Belize developed calendars to keep track of celestial movements and time passage. Their calendar system used tools that measured shadows, and watched the horizon to trace the movement of the stars, sun, and planets. Their calendar was called The Long Calendar. Let me tell you why it’s long: because it lasts over 5000 years! After 5,125 years, it resets to zero (0). The current long count began in 3114 BC. And it will end very soon. In fact, it will end on December 21, 2012.

Dum de dum dum (the sounds of doom).

The Maya predicted that the world as we know it would have a cataclysmic change because each time the Long Count Calendar ends, something crazy happens. They believed in each age (each 5000 years) the gods try to create obedient creatures. The “First Age” began with the creation of the Earth, and its plants and animals. Unfortunately, because they couldn’t speak, the birds and animals were unable to pay homage to the gods and were destroyed. In the Second and Third Ages the gods created humans of mud and then wood, but these also failed to please and were wiped out.

We are currently in the Fourth and Final Age, the age of humans. But how are we doing? That remains to be seen. There are a lot of environmental problems, wars, and other events that may seem to lead to our destruction, but combined, these don’t seem like they’d lead to the end of the world.

Also – since the Mayans were very connected to astronomy, it’s important to note the Solstice connection. On the winter solstice on December 21, 2012, the sun will be aligned with the center of the Milky Way Galaxy for the first time in about 26,000 years. Some believe that this will disrupt whatever normal energy usually streams to the earth from the center of the Milky Way. Hmmm. It’s all supposed to go down at 11:11 pm Universal Time on 12/21/12. But I don’t think the Maya meant it literally. A lot of things could happen. Or nothing at all. Or maybe it is a chance for spiritual change. Kind of like an environmental wake up call.

What do you guys think? What do YOU think is going to happen on 12/21/12? Let us know in the Comments below!

-Ratha, Stacks

1. AstronomyArtistic101

There is one very noticeable mistake that the Mayans have made in their calendar. When they were screwing in a bunch of nuts and bolts to build this thing they weren’t adjusting the settings to take into account all the leap year days to come in the future. So when this “Doomsday Clock” started to tick it was moving at a much slower rate than normal modern-day clocks. Since its gears started to turn a few thousand years ago there have been hundreds of leap year days since then. My calculations have leaded me to believe (subtracting the amount of leap year days by December 21, 2012) the world was supposed to end in 2008, not 2012.
    However, I think real doomsday could come at these estimated points in the future ( scientifically approved):
    - Apophis meteor strike may hit in the year 2036 or 2042 with a slight chance of colliding with Earth.
    - The water levels will continue to rise several metres well into the next century.
    - Jungles like the Amazon rainforest will lose its supply of trees to logging in the next 50 years removing one of the biggest sources of wildlife and oxygen on the Earth.
    - The Milky Way galaxy will collide with the Andromeda galaxy, turning it into an elliptical galaxy around the year 3,000,000,000 A.D. predictions can’t determine if this will affect the Earth or not.
    - The Sun will begin to end its main sequence stage as a star around the year 5,000,000,000 A.D. The Sun will start to lose energy so it will expand into a burning shell of gas to sustain itself using some elements like iron and uranium to keep burning. Soon, enough it will lose that energy and engulf the orbits of Mercury, Venus, Earth and possibly Mars. After the Sun will shrink into a cool white dwarf with its original gas around it forming a planetary nebula which is about 10 times the size of our entire solar system.
    Thank you for your time.

2. BEACHGIRL15

The thing is, the world DID NOT end!!! If it did what I would do is to take a long bath eat a gourmet meal and lie on the bed waiting.

3. jenna

I know the worls isn’t going to end on 12/21/12 because I am writing this on 12/24/12. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahah

4. bluebird4505

hey guys i think its not gonna end dont be scared i mean I believe god wouldn’t let the world end he loves us and I think we should be glad it did not end luv ya all

5. gamecrazy20

im just glad it did not end it says that the mayans might have been off by a couple of days or weeks because it was from a couple thousand years ago

6. cheerydolphin242

Don’t worry peeps! It’s Dec. 22nd, and the world did not end. Just forget about it, and live a normal, happy life!!
    -Merry Christmas!

7. not true

The world didn’t end yesterday. YAY! Im so happy to be alive. The Mayan’s don’t know anything about this day at all. NO OFFENSE.

8. Zechariah

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

9. I AM NOT TELLING THE FAKE

hi i’m in 2012 and today they predicted that the world will end today but it did not.SO YAY THE WORLD WILL NOT IN 5 TRILLION 8 MILLION 1 THOUSAND AND 102 YEARS
    YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Mythmaster

The world has been predicted to end about 20 times now(no exaggeration!). I am still here. I hope. Anyway, why should it end now of all the predicted times?!?

11. Grace

I believe nobody knows the hour nor the time not even the son of man.The Lord will come like a thieve.The only thing i am sure is,these are the last times and days.

12. lizzy

i don’t think the world is going to end. if it were going to end there would be some crazy thing that would happen like the world would shrink or blow up. so i’m not trusting these weird ideas

13. dragonemerald110

I think the Mayans theory is dumb. There is NO such thing as the end of the world, or is it a large meteor shower. The world will never know. DUN DUN DUN!

14. dragonemerald110

OK. If only NASA think it’s the end of the world… they’ll all FREAK OUT! I don’t care if it’s the apacolyse, but if only we PARTY, well like it’s the end of the world. But then I think God will create another world with ANDALITEZ! P.S Does @ny1 read Animorphs?

15. Kylie

Listen I believe God will end the world. But so many people love Him that I doubt He will end the world. He loves us,we love Him.

16. Kylie

I think that the world will not end until God says the world will end. Other than that the world will not end for no reason.

17. emeraldpurple31

Oh my goodness!!!!!!!!The world will end in just a few
    days!!!!I’m so scared!!I need to see my Christmas presents though!!

18. FAT ALBERT!

HEY HEY HEY I’M FAT ALBERT! I’m gonna sing a song or two… Bill’s gonna show you a thing or two.. We’ll have fun, me and all the gang! Workin’ together that’s how we do our thang!

19. Katie

Ok this is just my opinion!
    Only GOD will know when the world will end. There will be seven bad years before the world ends. Jesus will come back and take all the people who deserve it to heaven!

20. Dumb

People! Did u watch the movie 2012? It showd that as early as feburary signs were showing like huge cracks in the roads etc. but I don’t trust the Mayan calendar or some dumb movie. I believe that in Islam, god sends signs turn by turn. And it says in the religion that a dude will come and wipe out more than half of humanity. Then Jesus will come and defeat him. The English version of the Koran explains the final day. The words are very strong. I believe that Jesus will come. The arrival if Jesus.

21. Samantha

I don’t believe in it. The Mayans could have did something else like building a new temple or something like that.

22. tommy

I really do not think the world will end in 2012. it might in like a billion years but i’m possitivle sher earth whont end on 12/21/12. besids if it dose we can’t do anything about it.
    “I’m still a litte bit scard

23. AwesomeLife61

Guys, I just think that we have to let it go. I mean, it’s not like we can do anything about it, right? So I say we just live our lives and enjoy it while we can. :) And we can stop thinking about the future. Let it come.

24. Mellissa

rumors are also going around that the world will end but truth be told that it’s because its based on the mayan calendar it just ends on a certain day because of what ari said (comment)it doesnt mean the world is over

25. Mellissa

about 4 planets will line up perfectly along the milky way about every million years and they cause not the world to end but to make the earth dark and cold on the 21st of december even scientists approved of it but i cant really tell if it will become dark and cold and end on christmas eve or not all we have to do is wait be patient and just wait for the results our selves we’ll believe it when we see it our selves so dont believe what others say just believe in the prediction you think is correct

26. winterdolphin12

heres my idea unicorns will take the person they want zendaya coleman will come with bad news that voldimort has prepared a troll army and we are sucked in a portal to the world of unicorn and pokemon then justin bieber sings baby and boyfriend then voldimort comes in a miami dolphins tee and says charge and they run into a wall then voldimort and justin bieber have a pop battle the end volia

27. Kealeigh

I think its because of all the trash on the ground, all that trash adds weight to the Earth, and it’ll probably fall out of the solar systen

28. alessia

i don’t think the world is gonna end because people have said that a lot of times in 2002 the say the world was gonna end then in 2005 and the they said in 2009 so no its not gonna end if u think its not gonna end no world ending here

29. Summer

I was watching some old movie in class on the the mayans, they didnt think the world was going to end, they thought there would create a new calender and then another one and so on……………

30. leslie

in my opinnion only god knowns but i think nooooooooooooooooooooooo because why is god making new people and new things I HOPE IT DOES NOT THERES SO MUCH I NEED TO DO IN LIFE LIKE TO MEET AND MARRY HARRY STYELS I WANNA LIVE FOREVER if i doeslive while your young love you

31. crawlingbrainy9

I DO NOT THINK THE WORLD WILL END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I BELIEVE WHAT IT SAYS IN THE BIBLE, THAT NOBODY KNOWS WHEN THE WORLD WILL END. NOT EVEN JESUS. ONLY GOD KNOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

32. crawlingbrainy9

According to the bible nobody knows when the world will end, not even jesus. I believe only god knows when the world will end.

33. hipie

I dont belive it at allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

34. dd

let it end – for real its not ending.By the time it is we’ll be long gone already.Scientists are smart but if they are guessing the world will end on 12/21/12 they should just say so!

35. beastlyblack143

I think the world won’t end. My parents were talking about that the other night and they sid “the mayas can’t make a calender that goes on forever , plus they probably got to busy to finish it.” I think that too but,the world WILL eventually end , when the sun becomes a red giant and sucks up only the first two planent. That will leave our planet the first from the sun, making it too hot to live here. Of course that won’t appen for a billions of the years left to come. So, we won’t have anything to worry about any time soon.

36. huntsman23

ive heard diffrontlly. ive heard thata supernova will happen, but the death wave wont hit us, just a galctic super wave that is supposed to wipe out all technology, bank accounts, ect. without technology, mankind will fight each other for money or food just to survive. thats what

37. Joanna

*Gulp* I’m not sure. I feel paniced even if I don’t believe what my classmates say. Isn’t the 12/21/12 like ten days away? :0

38. Maryam

I believe the world when end when God wants it to end. Who knows if the world will end. It might be a rumor to scare people. The Mayans might have stopped because they might have ran out of room or they were attacked. We will not know. It will be a mystery. DO NOT PANIC! I believe nothing will happen unless God wants it to happen.

39. cheerydolphin242

I totally doubt that the world will end. I remember that bible story when god wiped out the entire world because lots of bad things were happening. But, I don’t think there is any real proof that the world will end. And, the world would end if the sun dies out, or swallows the first 4 planets, (which has been said before), and that includes the earth. It would be millions of years before that happens. We will be long gone before that happens… Don’t worry about it right now.

40. Annabeth

Well……..
    I think we have to face the facts! The whole “End of the World” thing has happened maaaannnnyyy times before………. and guess what…………nothing Happened! That’s right, Nothing!
    Besides, the bible states that ” No one knows the day or the hour that[the world will end]” Not even Jesus Himself!
    What it says is that we dont know know “when Jesus will return” but that pretty much is the end of the world.
    Even though no one knows, I’m still staying up until 11:11 P.M. Just to see what happens.

41. y

I think people are freaking out over NOTHING, because the bible says man will never know the end of the world until it happens. SO DON’T WORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

42. Nicholaas

MY version is that on 12/21/12, the sun will go on vacation a little too long and Carly Rae Jepsen will sprout wings and fly to neptune while Australia freezes to death.
    Justing Beiber will go to Mars, and for 500000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 years, everyone will eat spaghetti and some kid named…say, Agastya, will realize that enchildas will in the end win an epic battle and so he will eat all of them, and then everyone will go to sleep. THE END

43. horsechartreuse27

I think only God knows when the world will end! He knows everyhting!!!!!! The world will end when God sees that it is time for the world to end.

44. ajl3138

i dont think the worlds going to end. I believe god knows everything what is happening to earth,and the sun will not get bigger and destroy our planet. i know its not going to end, because every second a person dies and every second a person gets born,and if the calender stops the earth will stop and that means we all freeze to death. there is no such thing the wolds going to end. JEEZ! I think this is phony.

45. Hannah5009

But no I don’t think the world will not end on december 21 2012 , why because in 2003 plant called planet X was to come into our solor system and hit our earth . But its 2012 now.

46. Caroline

I doubt the world is going to end. After all, they said it was going to end in 1999,2000, and the list goes on and on. The Mayans may have been smart, but they can’t predict all this! It is somewhat scary to think about, though.

47. miranda

i dont think its going to be the end of the world in december.21,2012 because were HUMAN BEIN!!!!!!!! AND GOD DECIDES WHEN THE WORLD IS GOING TO END!!!!

48. Unknown Guy

ok guys look, the world MIGHT end on december 21, 2012. All i know in real life that if it DOES end, it will turn into a super nova and like explode. and the earth qill be in range. But in 2012 there are like tsunamis and stuff. This other movie, there was a planet called nibiru (AKA planet X) it entered our solar system and crashed into the earth. then it past the sun and just leave, creating the earth all black and red. in real life, the world ends by all these meteors and etc. and by janurary 2013, there would be like grass growing, trees and stuff like dat.and then by february 2014, there would be new life. dats my theory of if the world will end OR NOT. THANKS GUYS XD XP

49. M

First, i think it cant happen out of nowhere, i mean like we are living the same old lives, it cant happen out of nowhere, you wont be outside having the time of your life and boom your dead. Plus the only way the world were to end is if the sun were to die and thats not for more than a billion years from now, they also said the world would end in 2000 but it didn’t, so i think we should just not worry about this.

50. Doesn't matter

Well, life is what you make it. Make it happy if the world does end, then you’ll be happy and satisfied and have lived happily. So in the time you may have left, make it good, or if the world doesn’t end, at least you are getting closer to your family, friends ect. Make it the way you want it.

51. MIranda

Hello.I am a archeologist. Now, recently this year we have found a cave like tomb, that has another calendar, the calendar says we(humans) shall last at least….70 more years. Do not be worried with the end of time…the least that will happen is another ice age.

52. Asia

I dont think the world is going to come to an end . Everyone was saying the world was going to end in 2000 but last time I remembered im still her and I don’t mean to be disrespectful but I think people can stop worrying about the world ending . I believe no man knows when the world will end only GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!
    ASIA
    ASI
    AS
    A
    AS
    ASI
    ASIA

53. :3

People will be freaking out screaming when the world WILL NOT END ON 12/21/12!!!!! I can’t wait to see everybody freaking out thinking it will end. People will probably be running around the big city’s like New York with signs saying the world will end. I’m sure some people will be in bomb shelters and stuff. The world will not end on 12/21/12.

54. :3

The world will not end on 12/21/12. Who would even believe my Mayan’s? The probably didn’t have time to finish or the all died or something like that. They were probably waiting and then they all died. :P

55. jayden

here’s my version:
    On the date of 12/21/12,pizza will fall out of the sky and everybody eats until everyone’s belly hurts.Then Santa will do the hokey-pocky with his elves. After the hocky pocky unicorns from aferica will start breake dancing while One Deriction sings”What Makes You Butiful”.Then Ron,Harry, and Hermione,get into a crazy dance battle with Draco and dark vator.Soon the wizards of waverly place will get into a fight with Harry Potter and his gang becuse they think they are better than him. When all the madnes is over Spongebob will put everyone into a gaint bubble wihle the world bust open becuse of all of the exciment.

56. Hedgehog

I think it’s a bunch of baloney. How can anyone believe in something that’s over 5000 years old. Anyone that’s scared about the world ending don’t worry. I don’t think that’s true

57. Lex

i dont think its going to end but if its is THEN THE NINTH CAPTAIN UNDERPANTS BOOK IS THE LAST! Alright good ok its all good :/ but still just like the year 2000 no end DUH so yea scientists theroys not True! by:Lex

58. Aliyah

i TOTTALY agree with whoper24! oh, and catching_fire’s comment..halarious! u r REALLY funny!
    (no ofense 2 scientists or anything I believe that if God, the only Creator of the universe, The one, only, and true God wants the world 2 end…than it will! i am STRONG about being a christian!)
    Aliyah

59. PianoGirl6

I believe God would say: “The world will NOT end. Not until my Son returns (which won’t be noticed by anyone, by the way).”

60. harrypotterisbeast

Well, frankly I think it’s a little ridiculous what with all this world’s-gonna-end-thing.
    For one, the Maya lived approximately 5,000 years ago, yes? How can anyone prove that they’re correct until it’s happened? By then, if it’s true, we’d all be dead anyway.
    For another, according to modern science, the sun won’t explode or whatever it’s supposed to do for about 6 or 600 billion years. One of the two, last I heard.
    I believe that all this hype is just formed in the imaginations of people who really want to believe that life as we know it will be wiped out.
    ~harrypotterisbeast because, obviously, he is

61. Name Withheld By Request

Here is what I think will happen on December 21, 2012.
    (drumroll)
    Prepare Yourselves…
    NOTHING.
    Nothing majorly catastrophic, anyway.
    Okay, so some people will be running around screaming things like “WE’RE GOING TO DIE!” and other people will be quivering in storm shelters and other people will be carrying around signs saying things like “LAST CHANCE” and et cetera, but the world will not end.

62. alexa

aren’t you scared!? 2012!? 12!? 21!? before christmas!? end of the world!?!?!?!?!? ridiculous! no,no.no…..never happens! ^-^

63. wajee

I can’t wait and just see. Don’t you know what it means when they say the end of the world?
    I am really really really scared.

64. Tenzin

The ancient Mayans predicted that terrible natural disaster are going to happened and their was a recent earth quake in Japan a tsunami as well and their was a Hurricane Sandy in the east coast of the United States so I think the end of the world is true.

65. Analie

People can relax and have fun because the world is not going to end. On December 3, 2012 the news had talked about the Apocolypse and how we are safe and its not going to happen. However the movie, 2012, is stated as Science Fiction. All the songs like Ke$ha’s Die Young and One Direction’s Live while we’re Young is just a statement that we have to let loose and have fun. These examples show that the world is not going to end! Go Scholastics!

66. bookwormpiglet5

I do not think it will. I believe whatever the Bible says! :) Kids in my school are counting down but it doesn’t scare me!I think we will live longer than 13 days!

67. Emma

I agree with comment number 10. I believe the only person who knows what is going to happen tomorrow is God. So, tomorrow is only a question. What will happen? The only thing we can say is wait it’ll come when it comes. If the world does end we will just have to deal with it just like we deal with everything else. That is the only thing we can say.

68. Sammie

Whether the world ends or not we don’t know if you want my answer i say NO NOT IN ONE MILLION YEARS sorry if that was mean but hey you don’t know it’ll end just yet so relax even if we get hit with a meteorite it might have agenie in it ,have ya ever read christmas genie?

69. Chanse

Hey, Magik1234! How could the Mayans rule our country if they disappeared? And if they didn’t disappeared, how could they rule OUR country if they live in CENTRAL AMERICA!

70. Anonymous

I think nothing will happen because
    1. According to scientists, Earth will blow up in a 5.2 million years but we’ll have space shuttles and find another planet.
    2.Mayans probably miscalculated.
    3. Maybe we didn’t translate it right.

71. dogghost46

Call me me crazy, but I belive in ghosts, but not the end of the world. I mean really!!!! The world is not ending in 14 days. If it does i will be so sad…… christmas 2012 would never come!!!!! =(

72. Cutie3500

I honestly don’t believe the world is gonna end. The whole calendar is based on how Mayan gods created the Earth, and those just aren’t my religious beliefs. I’ll stay up ’til mignight on December 21, and I’ll be like “5…4…3…2…1…Nothing happened. I KNEW IT!” Hehehe.

73. Lisa

I don’t think the world is going to end, The Mayans forgot that 2012 is a leap year and has 366 days. So if it was going to end, it would ended a day before or after the 21st. Besides, in the Bible, God says no one on Earth knows when the world would end. Meaning it not going to happen this year.

74. elfheroine1

I’m not so superstitious! I believe it will end when God wants it to end. Anyway the Mayans are all dead, so why believe them?

75. dolphingirl588

The Mayans created and founded chocolate!! Those people are really cool. No Mayans,no candy bars,no hot chocolate no chocolate anything! The world will not end on the day 4 days before Christmas!! Santa would have killed the Mayans early on if they did that!! Maybe that’s why they disappeared.
    *nods* Yeah.

76. dolphingirl588

I think instead of us getting killed like dinos. UNICORNS WILL COME TO LIFE!! Silly Noah forgot to put them on his ark. Now EVERYONE will get a unicorn. The unicorns will be able to shrink to the size of an ant so you can bring yours to school. But on December,21 2012 we’ll all have a screen in front of us that lets us make our own unicorns!! YAY!! WOO-HOO! So,then we could fly to anywhere. We could fly to anywhere! AWESOME!!!

77. dolphingirl588

Well,that is plain SILLY!! The Mayans probably got tired when they got to December 21,2012 or they died on that day. In another comment I’ll say what I think is gonna happen.

78. indigowizard3

It really ends on 11:11 on the winter solstice? Awesome! I can’t wait to see the astronomical coolness when it all goes down!

79. Natasha

I don’t think so but we’ll have to find out!! I saw a T.V. show about it and WOW, it was convincing! I am a little nervous. BUT… I hope not!!

80. Pinkdolphin1502

wow only 16 days away from “the end of the world”
    I think it is just a myth and everything
    will be OK.
    We’ll just have to wait and see. Kiss kiss! oxoxoxox

81. Connor the Man who knows all

I think the tv peeps are just trying to make money think of it this way! They are selling survival kits for the APOCALYPSE!!!!!!! they won’t work!

82. werewolfcat5

Well,last year I did believe a little that 2012 was coming to an end but now it’s 2012 and we’re still alive! No,I think the world will end when its 2013!

83. John

The world ends on 21 December — great!!! Now, I have a good reason to put off Christmas shopping until the 24th.

84. Asdffdsa

I don’t believe that the world will end then. Nobody knows when the world will end.
    Matthew 24:36 says, “But of that day and hour knows no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.” (KJV)

85. Mac

yeah, i’m so sure it’s going to end. Just because some people say it’s going to be “THE END” doesn’t mean it is! Who’s with me?

86. redhorse20

A bazillion other things have been supposed to kill us, but none of it has. I believe that God knows when the world will end.

87. Angelamber38

Well, its been 5000 years, like it said so, something could of stopped it. Theres a 99.99999999 precent chance its not gonna happen. But it said online “what nasa is hiding from the world” So it still posibble with a 0.00000001 precent chance I dont totally newspaper articles, but 2012 been on the cover 2 times. in. OCTOBER. 2011 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

88. Brendan

Maybe the mayans were like “Whoa. This is 2012. Why do we care? Lets just end it, cause we’re not gonna be alive then.” So they just ended it on dec. 21st. There’s no way the world will end then.

89. Singingdolphin46

I know some people might not believe in God, but I do.
    I believe that:
    God created the world.
    He will end it.
    No one (Not even Jesus)knows when the end of the world happens BUT God.
    I know some people don’t believe this but I do.
    I seriously doubt the end of the world will happen then.
    There are going to be alot of signs from the Bible. The Mayan calendar predicting the world ending in 2012 is not one of them in it.
    Sorry mods if this is too religion-y. I just wanted to put in my input. :)

90. drawingart29

I highly dout the world would end because I think they are just making this up and the movie “2012″ is all just a big joke(fake). Totally don’t believe THIS!!!!

91. ado

well it is going to end on 12/21/12 there is going a valcano to erupt and feriy astroids going to hit the earth and the tsuanmi

92. Clara

True story that took place around mid-December 1999:
    Random person: *knocks on door of my neighbor’s house*
    My neighbor: *opens the door*
    Random person: “Prepare yourself! The world is going to end in a few weeks!”
    My neighbor: “Don’t be silly! Everybody knows that the world’s going to end in 2012.” *slams the door*

93. legit/awsome/cool

I really want to say that whoever came up with the comment #13 has quite an imagination.It totally made me LOL.
    And if I could add to the story, I would say that Wizards of Waverly Place would step in and give Justin Beiber super powers or something. It would be really funny if they would sing to the death, and everybody-after the bunnies took them home- would be singing “baby, baby, baby,oh!”

94. Anya

No offense but Science has nothing to with an opinion because it doesn’t help you make your point a whole lot better and by the way I’m only 9 so I’m not an adult or cheating and finding all these answers from some site. If you actually listen to your teachers then actually tell you some valuable information!

95. Anya

Some of you guys kind of explain the truth again but the sun can’t die out??? It doesn’t power anything except Solar Panels but I am going to tell you this: ” The sun can not die out.” Why? First law of conservation: Energy can not be created or destroyed only changed. Is the moon and sun energy? Yes.

96. Anya

The world will not end well it will end but just because it will turn 2012 doesn’t mean it’s the end of the world. Because the Mayans said it turns back down to 0. So it’s the end of the calender not the world. Also, somebody has to write a new one or as the Mayan’s said make another one to last for 5,000 years. I hope you get my point and no one goes against it because this is only my opinion. But I still hope people understand the meaning of this. But if anybody wants to know this, I’ll tell you guys all the bad news that WILL happen in like a long time but.. If you guys don’t want to be desperate for the rest of your lives I suggest you don’t read this but here goes: In a really really long time from now the world will end because the moon will eventually get farther and farther from earth well it already is getting farther from earth now as the years go by but anyway the moon will get all the way farther from the earth and eventually get out of the same ring as the earth and go on in the Solar System and find a new ring but then if there’s no moon the earth would be probably ruined and everything but that’s what I believe is the truth.

97. felisha

no, the world will not end in 2012 because they say it will but,they have been saying that it would like 3 or 4 years a go but did it no it didnt but if the sun gets hotter then a lighting strike then we will all die which if the sun right now below if it keeps on raining like this it will happen soon

98. hawaii blue

Im super scared about 2012.What i mean is ,people say its going to happen,and i sort of beleive them

99. Shay

I have a few theories to why this isn’t true. 1. Maybe the Mayan’s just ran out of paper? 2. The bible says no one will know when the world ends 3. I JUST DON’T WANT THE WORLD TO END BEFORE MY B-DAY!!!

100. funnybear1

the myan clanender (which is why people think the world will end)works in rotations so it will just restart in 2012.

101. whitney

ohh yeah.to the person that said did anyone see the movie 2012 and yes i did and it was awsome but they were to lovey dovey and all cuz the girl dumped him for a reason.why should she get back with the guy.omg.did u know i am not a BIG fan in love.i think its just a fairy tale and never going to come true.
    ohh yeah i have a question.does anyone ever go on this website anyway

102. whitney

yo yo yo.my name is whitney and i am so cool.by the way this is a song and i love me and myself only.hahahaha.laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!lalalalalaaaaaaaaaaaalalalalalalalalasllalalaalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala.i love me only and i love me only yes i do i love me and only me cuz i am awsome ohhh yes i am awsome ucz yes i am awsome awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwlalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalallalalalalalalalala.ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhi love myself only and i love mtself cuz i am awsome and coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool.lala.bye peoples

103. Kirstie

I think this thought is CRAZY!!!! Im my opinion, nobody except for God knows when the world is gonna end!!!!!!!!!

104. true1

it says in the holy bible,that nobody,not even the son of god,nor his angels know the exact day or time WHEN the world will end. i trust GOD.(:

105. lee

the world probibly will end bet not because of the mayen calender the bible sayes it will end in 2012 so i say stop obsessing over what might happen and what not and prepare

106. pinkmonkeys101

on new years the signal on our tv went out and someone said the world is ending in 2011! that didnt and wont happen! That was an amazing article thanks!

107. Heather

my science teacher told us that the last few times people said the world would end in past years, it hasn’t so i know it won’t happen next year

108. HermioneHJG

I don’t believe that it’s really going to happen. This is all just a bunch of nonsense that the government is creating to make people go into hiding or something. Besides, what CAN happen on 12/21/12? Will the earth come tumbling down, or will we humans just drop dead (lol)? But I have to admit, that video on the internet about those birds dying WAS pretty creepy. But then again, maybe that’s the government’s actions too.

109. Dec Jess

i don’t think the world is going to end at 12/ 21 /12 b/c since my mom was 9 they were saying it was going to end but look now we have a big family.but only god nows and I DONT WANT IT TO END I WANT TO GO TO COLLEGE AND GET A DEGREE AND HAVE A FAMILY! omg

110. Stargurl9

I’m not saying if the world will end or if it won’t- but the Mayans were pretty smart.
    Hollywood is freaking us out about 2012 and the world ending and McDonalds running out of Big Macs.

111. cheetahdancer

The world is not going to end because thats what they said would happen in 2000, but look! Nothing happened! We are all still alive!

112. Tina

The World will end eventually. Scientists believe it will end in about 4,000,000,000 years. People just want to advertise and make money off this topic (like the movie 2012) But all they do is get kids scared and depressed. The mayans said that the WORLD WILL HAVE TO CHANGE,NOT END. Due to our energy eating habbits it will have to change.

113. 51dotfeg

1. The Mayan Calendar say the correct time and date is 11:11pm on 12/21/2012. It is the date and time the world will end.
    2. Many people believe the world will end in flames and other believe it will end in ice. I think it is Fire because that is when the Devil comes.
    3. I don’t think we should think about this. Know one knows about the future unless they can see what happens next.
    4. WE ALL ARE GONNA DIE! *SCREAMS SO LOUD THAT DUDE IN MEXICO DROPS TACO* It will happen soon! The Mayan Calendar might be a FAKE!
    5. I hope I didn’t scare you.

114. RGirl620

My friend said that 2012 is said to be the end of the world because there won’t be anymore days such as 11/11/11 or 09/09/09.

115. hermione

wow! omg if we die, i’d be bummed cuz there are a lot of things that i want to do before i die. First of them are to graduate and lay home for a day or two cuz i dont need get up early and and go to school. Yeah so dying in like a less than two years is goin to spoil it.

116. Skye737

All this is just insane! Even if the world did end it’s not like there’s anything that we could do about it! But did you know that since we’ll be lined up with the milky way some QUAKS that call themselfes sientist say that the magnetic pull might be to much and Earth will flip…like Uranus!

117. blueangel00

All we can do is make the best of our life now,IF the world does end. But if the world DOESN’T end I would thank the THE LORD JESUS that the world did not end.

118. miniartemis

All those coincidences sound fishy, but seriously guys, do you REALLY think that the world will end because some nutters who didn’t even know about telephones, computers, ovens, TVs, DSs, etc. SAID so????????????? If it would have been a real threat to people, we would have already taken extreme chances.
    But … The caladar stopping on the day there’s an alignment on something or an other for the first time in like 26,000 years, that IS kind of weird. I guess that it’s really up to us to decide!!

119. unloved1298

1) the movie 2012 was only made because so many people believe that the world will end so they thought they could make millions 2) the world ending in 2012 is exactly like y2k, its not going 2 happen! so people need 2 quit freaking out Scientists and mayans from thousands of years ago aren’t the ones predicting the future. Christians believe god is and he says that there will be a rapture not some random 2012!

120. MasterMickey

I honestly don’t think the world would end next year. By that time, the technology has improved and can help us.

121. Katie

There are many theories about what may or may not occur in 2012.I think my theory is best:
    The end of the world will start as soon as the clock strikes 12.There will be a massive earthquake and a mammoth tornado will strike the center of the US. All the world’s volcanoes will erupt and a meteor shower will finish us off.

122. jea10

the world isnt going to end,i hope!!!!LOL…….
    i’m just joking because scientes said that the world was going to end in (2001) BUT I DON’T THINK IT ENDED YET… DID IT!!!!?

123. poozen

i think 2012 will bring the species of flying pigs, pink cats and what catching_fire says UNICORNS! i want a pink one with a pink cat. now i speak words of wisdom, THE WORLD WILL NOT END IN 2012!

124. Ashlee

i like to tell people taht it will, but i dont think so. i think that it will be when the moon and earth finaly get far enough apart that they lose gravitational pull with eachother, and they both explode. it is called the moon dance.

125. petgirl33

pul-lease.
    The world will NOT END in 2012! Now my thoughts are this, There will be no electricity!
    My pawpa says that the ocean floor is where you can get this idea. You see what will be going on is the earths core is spinning a certain way right now, but it will start spinning the other way on Dec. 21, 2012. And scence that is where the electromagnetic field comes from, than either there will be no elecetricty or all our electronics will be backwords! Either way…. THE WORLD WON’T END!!!!

126. bigfatreader

its werid first i hear 2012 will be the end of the world second i hear 2060 will be the end of the world.but i just think there will be really bad weather in 2012.so i think the world will end in 100 million years because thats (probably) when the sun will go out.2012 is a big fat hoax.because i hear of coming in 2013 and 2060 is (probably) a big hoax because in 2062 haleys comet will return.

127. Cheyenne77

Im no predicter,but come on, the sun will burn out before the earth will be destroyed (so i have been told). They already predicted that the world will end in 2000 did that happen. In the bible,i know some of you might not be religious so just bear with me,it says that you will never know when the world will end. Therefore they cant be right,they tried to predict it once before. I mean the predicter,did indeed predict 9-11 but they had to have kicked the bucket sometime so how do you know it will end in 2012? There is no way to know. Maybe,possibly,hopefully not. I say it doesnt becuase they tried to predict it once before. Did the world end? NO! BUT it could end….but i dont think so.

128. 44maplesyrup

OK I think all the wierd predictions about what’s gonna happen on december 2012 are just plain dumb. people make predictions all the time and thy don’t really happen. like the year 2000 prediction. I mean,do people seriously believe that the world will magically end?? just because ages ago the mayans made a theory?? It’s a myth. It doesn’t make any sense. Conclusion: it won’t happen!!
    And if something DOES happen,( you can never know) I’m sure it has nothing to do with the mayans.

129. TARYN

I DON`T THINK SO BECAUSE I BELIVE THAT WE CAN MAKE THIS WORLD A BETTER WORLD ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS WASH IN COLD WATER,HANG YOUR CLOTHES UP ON A LINE, RECYCLE ,AND PICK UP TRASH DONT JUST PASS IT PICK IT UP.REMEBER WHAT I SAID DON`T PANIC BELIVE IN YOURSELF ALLWAYS KNOW MATTER WHAT IS GOING ON DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO MAKE IT RIGHT. LOVE TARYN

130. mintchocolatechip100

Practically every ancient civilization has some “lost” thing. There’s probably some lost mayan calendar that no one has found. Plus, ancient people believed in some really wacky things. Modern people do too! Honestly, I would love to see the look on people’s faces when they realize the world’s NOT going to end! :)

131. mockingjay mania

well her is my thinking. if on the solstice the sun is supposed to be in the center of the hgalaxy, and this happens every 26,000 years, why didnt it happen 26,000 years ago? what makes 2012 any different? what is the logical explination for the world to just simoltaniously end. the earth has been around for 4 billion years. and if this thing haoppens every 26000 years, wouyldnt it have happned millions of times? and the world didnt end or else we wouldnt be here. and why woulld theere be tsunamies, earthquakes, wars, huricanes,etc… all of a sudden right out of the blue? it dosent make sence for that to happem. and their calander was off. so the date they chose actually happned a cupple thousand years ago. and even if the date was right, couldnt it just mean that the calander will just start over again? there is some evidence that shows that it is just the end of one period and the begining of another. the only thing that i could think of that could happen that would cause the world to end would be if the sun suddenly had a massive solar flair that was big enough to destroy our eletromatic field and expose every creature to intence levels of radiation basicall killing all life forms on earth. the chances of that are next to 0. i think that nothing will happen.

132. Yellowdolphin

On december 21st 2012 Dinosours will fall out of the sky including Rex from Toy Story. He will bring us to Disney world and force us to play Toy Story Mania. Then, we will all swim in a swimming pool in the middle of times square and clifford the big red dog will want us to get Big macs and after that, Allie Finkle will play Tic Tac Toe with Steven Tyler and poor Steve the sock puppet will get swallowed by a hippogriff and then we will all go to bed at our houses.

133. Yellowdolphin

I honestly don’t think that the world is going to end, but we have been getting so much snow in the past couple years that who knows, maybe the snow will be come really high and trap us inside our houses, or I think that someone came up with it and it’s all a scam to make money on the movie 2012. Another could be they ran out of ink. It takes a lot of ink to write that much.

134. Goldeneagle343

I believe that the world isn’t going to end on 2012.It’s just people being paranoid, just like Y2K. But,it’s just my opinion.

135. MJfan277

Also I the half that says no, is bcuz, when i was taking a tour of a college for my sister, the classes said, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016. Whadda think?

136. MJfan277

I was so scared after i saw 2012, so i was freaking out. People told me it was a myth. Half of me thinks yes, half of me thinks no. :( :) ?????? IDK!

137. lolo071800

My version is….
    One day the Mayans were writing the calendar and their hands got tired. The next day, the Mayans got destroyed. the people who destroyed the Mayans thought the stopping point meant something more serious than tired hands. They tell their leader and he freaks out and tell the world that it means we will loose pizza! As years went by, the people turn it into different problems. Examples are: In 1700 the Continent of Africa will be destroyed!, China will become the worst manufacturers in The world!, ect. It eventually became, “The world is going to end!” Just like the other things didn’t happen, the world ending will not happen either. But i am still sorta scared:)

138. Jasmine

I saw part of the movie,2012. But my step mom says, “The Earth will go down in flames like how Earth didn’t end in Noah’s Ark but He flooded the entire world and won’t happen for millions of years (the flames). Or when God decides Earth comes to a end.

139. bluecookiedough

@catching_fire
    Very nice.
    I like the Voldemort wearing the Packers uniform.
    This could be a very interesting story idea.
    *nods back*

140. skullz00

the world could end any second, any day,any year I think its all up to Jesus when it ends. i dont believe scientists

141. firestar28

Here’s my version! Animals will talk, it will rain food,people will wear clothes from the 1700′S and People will sprout wings.

142. famkas20

Supersitiious person on 12/21/12 : AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE’RE GOING TO DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    *cries hysterically*
    Me: Relax, look at this.
    *shows her this site*
    Superstitous person: Oh. Relax everyone, we’re going to be safe.

143. R

I don’t think the world will end in 2010 because if the world has been going this long, why would it all of a sudden end? And also what would a calender mean to us today, if it was created thousands of years ago! Yes, it is very old but that doesn’t mean that it is right!

144. ilovepercyandmax

Nothing. I’m a Christian, and I don’t believe in that kind of stuff. I DO believe that if people keep ruining the environment, there could be an environmental disaster. So, 12/21/12 will just be a normal day. See you on 12/23!

145. Magik1234

Actually, the world will not end in 2012. How do I know? Well, I know this because the Sun will heat up, but it will not be destroyed and eat the Earth up. Second, the Mayan calander, the calander only ends in 2012, but the world won’t end. Also, the Mayans had predicted that the world would end, and this was many years ago. If the Mayans were right that time, they’d probably be ruling our country.

146. OathOblivion

Over all, I think we are perfectly fine with that info above. (they are 100% true. If a mistake is found. please post)

147. OathOblivion

Well, scientists think that the sun will expand into a red giant (the sun times a billion) and will swallow the first 4 planets (that obviously includes Earth). But they also think the sun has about 500 billion more years before it expands into a red giant. The Mayans appear wrong in their theory.

148. Ari

I have see the movie but, the world won’t end in 2012 because it is a myth. It is said that a Mayan worker was working on the 2012 calendar and for working too hard, he died. He died on December 21,2012. So that is why people say “the world is going to end”

149. Cooly 11

I don’t think it’s possible for the world to end, for a no apparent reason. I think that the world will end in billions of years when the sun dies out, and can’t power anything anymore. The world could end sooner, with other causes, like too many natural disasters and pollution. I think “2012″ is a hoax.

150. liz

thanks for telling me! i was so worried.i do not want to die.i wanted to say i am so grateful for it! but will 2O12 be the future or not? will it stay the same?i hope it dose not end. there is so many things i want to do before i die.i am so grateful.

151. justaprincess

I don’t think we should worry about the world ending because when/if it does end we’ll all die and won’t be able to do anything about it!

152. Alexis

I don’t think the world will end. They said it would end in 2000 but all our computers are normal and I’m alive.

153. Californian Girl

I’m scared!!!!! The Maya were pretty smart…..
    But I don’t think it’ll happen.
    We’ll just have to wait and see.
    Scared~
    Californian Girl

154. catching_fire

Here’s my version:
    On December 21, 2012, UNICORNS WILL COME BACK TO LIFE. Within a few hours, each human will have a unicorn bond which they will ride with all over the conutryside. Justin Beiber will have a unicorn named Timothy. Then, Bella Swan will come with bad news – The Wicked Witch of the West and Voldemort will have teamed up! Everyone will run around screaming until a tornado hits and they get sucked into the land of Oz – Justin Beiber included. Well, we go to the Emerald City, where the Wicked Witch of the West (we’ll call her Elphaba) is doing this amazing Defying Gravity scene, with really cool special affects. And then Voldemort comes of of the UN offices wearing a Green Bay Packers uniform, and he’s all like, “Wassup yo?” And then Harry Potter’s all liek, “EXPERAMILLUS” and then all the Harry Potter fangirls are like “OHMYGOODNESS!!!! Hary, can I have your autograph before the world ends?” And then Justin Beiber is like, savin’ the day and stuff and cheeseburgers are raining down from the heavens and everyobdy’s screaming and then darth Vader and Justin Beiber get into this epic battle and then the world flips and we all throw up and then bunnies carry us home and then we all wake up in the morning remembering nothing.
    Sciene and stuff has proved THAT is how 2012 is going to end and stuff. *nods*

155. cnahk

I think the world will end beacause the weather is going crazy earthquakes are happing once a month and theres been lots of upheavals so i believe the worlds gonna end!Hurry up NASA!

156. cutie3500

I think all that may happen is some people may change their minds about major things, which might cause some wars, but not end the world!

157. Kayla

well god only knows when the world could end the only thing we know is tommrow isnt promised .
    KAYLA
    KAYL
    KAY
    KA
    K
    KA
    KAY
    KAYL
    KAYLA

158. Vanessa

I highly doubt 2012 will bring the end of the world, because people said that in 2000 it is going to be the end of the world… and obviously that never happened.

159. Chrysanthemum98

This is just plain silly! The Mayans had nothing to do back then, so they made a calendar. They got bored after they finished writing December 12, 2012, and people(scholars, great thinkers, etc.) were thinking, as they think way too much, and decided that because the Mayan calendar stops in 2012, the world will end in 2012.

160. 51dotfeg

According to some forecasts, entire cities will be destroyed by enormous tsunamis, earthquakes and Category 5 hurricanes; meteors will rain down fiery death from heaven; and human history will come to an end.

161. 51dotfeg

OMG! Do you mean that the end of the world is in 2012?!?!?! OMG!!! 12/21/12?
    That is right before CHRISTMAS!!! I bet that the world will freeze! Because it is the season of Winter.
    One year away! I can’t believe it!

162. sn

no. i believe the world will end whene the rapture comes.whether thats now or a million years,its not up to seintists to deside.

163. Whopper24

On New Years night, after the ball dropped, my dad said,”In about one year, it will be the end of the world!” Thats what people PREDICT! Some people just don’t know what predict means! I’m not trying 2 be mean or anything! But the world is NOT going 2 end!! JEEZ!!