January 5, 2011

The Romeo and Juliet Code

Posted by at 4:51 am in Reads | Permalink

RomeoAndJulietCode Welcome to Scholastic Booktalks where we recommend brand new Scholastic books that we think you will love. Today's booktalk is: The Romeo and Juliet Code by Phoebe Stone.

Felicity Bathburn Budwig is suffering ever so much without her dearest Winnie and Danny. Exiled from her beloved England at the start of World War II, she's taken up residence with the Bathburns of Bottlebay, Maine, USA, and left to fend for herself with her stuffed bear and only companion, Wink. The Gram, Uncle Gideon, and Aunt Miami are no replacement for Felicity's mother and father, fighting the Nazis across the cold and lonely ocean.

When Felicity discovers that the reclusive Captain Derek hidden away in the attic is actually a handsome young boy who has been paralyzed from polio, she gains a partner to help her unravel all the mysteries in the Bathburn house. Mysteries like: why don't Winnie and Danny write to her, and why does Uncle Gideon hide mysterious letters from Portugal? Why is Aunt Miami obsessed with lines from Shakespeare but terrified to actually perform on the stage? And, most importantly, how can Felicity contain this giddy, dizzy, fizzy feeling she has when she looks at Derek?

Read this book to see if you can be the next person to crack The Romeo and Juliet Code!

โ€” Melissa, Scholastic Booktalker

1. FABULOSOGLAMOROUS21

I am halfway all most done with the book and it is awesome it is romantic,funny,sad, and interesting read it yourself and in joy it and tell STACKS what you think about the book. :)

2. Jada

This Book Is Horrible Really But If You Like Historical Fiction Then Get It I Thought I Would Like It Because It Had A Pink Tennis Shoe On It

3. destinee.J.B

i read the book so many timesand i love it ppl… yhu need to read it it is a sensational and quite exciting story well hope you like it when yhu read it

4. delvenia

The book at first is very intresting but then it gets kind of well boring. But I do recomend you read it after all this is just my opinion

5. Steven

I havn’t read it but by ur comments I think it sounds CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO……….. breath,breath,breath… anyway OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOlLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

6. lettucesprig

This looks really neat. I have read a bunch of versions of “Romeo & Juliet”, so I want to read it just because of the title. This better be as good as it sounds-or better!!:)

7. amy

it is a really awesome book,I read it,and I wish I owned it, but it doesn’t belong to me…
    P.S
    during world war 2 and once you start reading it, you get attatched

8. petgirl33

Sounds interesting!
    I’m not much on war, but this sounds really neat!
    ( I’ve been looking for new books to read, I hope BN has it!)

1. Ahmad

Fantastic goods from you, man. I have keep in mind your stuff prior to and you are just too great. I really like what you have reecived here, certainly like what you’re saying and the way in which by which you are saying it. You are making it entertaining and you continue to take care of to stay it wise. I can not wait to learn far more from you. That is really a terrific web site.

9. p

I think that would be very interesting to read because all the detail that was given. one thing i like is how it’s mysterious i would like to check in on that book and read it.