December 20, 2010

Wacky Holiday Traditions Writing Prompt

Posted by at 3:54 am in Writing Prompt | Permalink

Writingprompt_holiday According to the dictionary, a tradition is "an inherited, established or customary pattern." In other words, it's something that you do the same way every year. The holidays are full of traditions. Some people put up their Christmas tree on the same day every year. Some people eat the same foods for Hannukah every year. You get the picture.

Most traditions are normal and well. . . traditional. But for today's Writing Prompt, I want to hear about some of your wacky traditions. You know, the strange stuff that nobody else does, but for some reason, you always HAVE to do at the holiday time.

I don't remember when I started this, but every year, I do all my wrapping on the same day. I gather up all the presents that I've bought for people. I pull out all my gift wrap, ribbon, scissors and tape. . . and then I put on the Pride and Prejudice movie. Not the short one with Keira Knightley, but the 5-hour version and I watch the whole thing while I wrap. Don't ask me why. I couldn't tell you. But it just doesn't feel like Christmas for me until I'm sitting on the floor surrounded by boxes and gift wrap, watching a really long Jane Austen movie that has nothing to do with Christmas!

What about you? What are your unusual holiday rituals that you do every year? Tell us in the Comments. Maybe I'll get some good ideas for a new tradition!

PS. Please send me a Holiday Shout-Out! They're new in your Profile!

1. Dani

2 or 3 days b 4 christmas me,my mom,and my sisters go to my aunt’s house to bake cookies.me and my cousin alo thorw a banana peel on the dog’s back (not hard) becuse one year on the night that we baked cookies i slept over and at like 1 in the mornig we ate bananas and he threw my peel and the dog happend to be there,so now its a tradition

1. Mateus

I am so jealous! I too am like a child in the snow and we don’t get it here very often = I love lonikog out my window when it is dark outside and I can see the snow falling past the street lights! Probably no snow for us until January but hey I went to a Christman shop today and felt totally Christmassy!!

2. Kirti

OH, I forgot. The wacky thing is my aunt hides a gold coin in a sweet dish. The person who finds it will have a prosperous, auspicious year. What’s wacky is that my brother had found the golden coin, and his year was pretty awesome, I’m still hoping=)

3. Kirti

Well, we celebrate Diwali in our house, or the festival of lights. We usually perform rangoli, or should I say, my mom and I, at the front or back of the house. Rangoli is like art using geometric shapes, painting it in with paint or chalk. On the night of Diwali, we all wear new Indian style clothing and light candles, and wish for the best (plus get a history of Diwali from my grandfather). We exchange gifts and eat a delicious meal! Diwali is so fun.

4. s.snape2000

Yeah, I know I already commented, BUUUT I remembered another tradition that my family does. Every eve of Christmas(sorry, just felt like wording it that way) my mom and dad read us Twas the Night Before Christmas.Then we watch The Christmas Story.After the movie,we are allowed to open one gift.We have been doing this for as long as I can remember!

5. lotrnarniafan

we have a humungo feast and open presents from each other on Christmas eve from youngest to oldest and on Christmas day we wake up and rush to the living room to open stockings and see what “Santa” brought for us

6. bibliomania123

This is not my tradition but my friend’s family. The parents go away for thanksgiving leaving the kids (one of them is like 20 so it’s ok) to decorate the house for christmas however they like. they put up lights and the tree and everything. sounds like a wonderfull thing!

7. 51dotfeg

Have you guys ever made a Snow Car?
    This person in the city of where I live made a Race car with Ice snow and a lot of Spray Paint.

8. Puppylove5678

I love x-mas but I really think it’s about the love and having time with your family.I think x-mas is cool because we don’t have school so we can have some quality time with our families.I love the cocoa my mom makes and we make our own stockings so it’s pretty cool and fun.

9. Mh3

My Mom,sister,brother and i and my dad always put up our Christmas tree in November i also Decorate the house for Christmas we have a Mary and Joeseph and baby Jesuse and lots of candeles

10. cnahk

We also hide a pickle.ANd celabrate Hanukah aaanndd Cristmas.Lots of presants.WE get to open 1 presant my mom makes P.Js and we wear them to bed .

11. Cooly 11

I don’t know if we have a wacky tradition- I guess it’s taking fifty pictures of each present in someone’s hands.

12. Dancing Pickle

I always wake up 1-2 hours before everyone else wakes up. Then I head downstairs, and I look at all the presents. I aslo try to find the Christmas Pickle. The CP, is where your parents hide the pickle ornament inside your tree, and the 1st person to find it will get a special suprise. But it is not your Christmas presents!!!!!

13. stonefairy

My mom, sister, and I always decorate our house at a time that my dad is at work so that we can surprise him. Then when he comes home, the house is all decorated! Not a very weird tradition; it’s just something funny we like to do.

14. Marytonga

In my house, we celebrate Hanukkah for no real reason as far as I’m aware. We mostly just eat latkes though- my mom’s an awesome cook.
    And I bug my cousin, who’s eleven months older than me, a boy, and very different. Example- This year, he wanted Inkdeath. I don’t really like Cornelia Funke- OK, it’s more a grudge because she misplaced an explanation in Reckless.

15. s.snape2000

Well, in Germany there is this custom that the parents hide a pickle in the Christmas tree(or tanaunbaum for them) but I thought since we had German in us, that we should start doing that.My mom actually found a pickle ornament. It is on our tree right now. On Christmas eve, she will hid it, and on Christmas day, my brother and I have to try and find it.Whoever finds it, gets a prize.