New Year's Resolutions
People always talk about New Year's Resolutions, but what does that really mean and how do you do it? A resolution is when you resolve or promise yourself that you will do something. The new year is a perfect time to think about changing some bad habits and making a fresh start for 2011. But how?
Well, here is my advice for making your 2011 New Year's Resolutions.
- Choose something you really care about. You have to actually want to do it in order for the resolution to work. If you really like your room messy, there is no point in resolving to keep it clean.
- Choose something you can actually achieve. Getting straight A's is a totally worthy goal, but if you're failing every subject, you might first aim for B's and C's.
- Make a step-by-step plan for achieving your goal. For example, to improve your grades, make a study schedule for each subject. List all your homework and tests and check it every day so you'll be prepared.
So here is my New Year's Resolution for 2011: I resolve to train my cats not to scratch me.
- Is it something I care about? YES. I know they don't mean to hurt me, but I'm sick and tired of getting accidentally scratched!
- Is it something I can actually achieve? YES. I have been spoiling my cats and letting them get away with bad behavior, but if I change and show them that I don't like it, then they will change, right?
- Step-by-step plan:
- Buy a spray bottle and fill it with water.
- Spray the sweet little monsters every time they come at me with their claws out.
- Repeat as necessary.
By Valentine's Day, I will be scratch-free. . . I hope. How about you? What are your New Year's Resolutions and how will you achieve them?