October 13, 2010

Wolves of the Beyond Book #2: Shadow Wolf

Posted by at 5:00 am in Guardians of Ga'Hoole, Reads | Permalink

Wolves_130x130Welcome to Scholastic Booktalks where we recommend brand new Scholastic books that we think you will love. Today's booktalk is: Wolves of the Beyond #2: The Shadow Wolf, sequel to Lone Wolf by Kathryn Lasky.

After being on his own since his second milk mother died, Faolan has found his clan. The MacDuncan clan let Faolan join their ranks, but as a gnaw wolf. Faolan was born with a deformity, a splayed paw with a spiral pattern on it. When wolves are born with deformities, they are considered cursed, given the name “malcadh” and abandoned in the wild. If the malcadh survives, it is allowed to return to the clan but is given the lowest ranking.

Gnaw wolves must sleep at the edge of the territory and fend for themselves. Occasionally, they are given scraps of food after the rest of the clan has eaten. They are expected to be humble and only do what they are told, but this is very difficult for Faolan. Although Faolan is considered deformed by the clan, he also has exceptional abilities. First, he can walk on his hind legs. And second, he can run incredibly fast.

His abilities cause jealousy among the other gnaw wolves. One gnaw wolf, named Heep, is intent on ruining Faolan's chances at winning the gaddergnaw contest. This contest, in which all gnaw wolves compete to become part of the Watch at the Ring of Sacred Volcanoes, is very important. It is the only way that a gnaw wolf can take a larger role in the clan. Faolan knows he has a better chance than the rest of the gnaw wolves, and he is determined to win!

But when Faolan is framed for a violent death, he realizes that proving his innocence is much more important. Will Faolan find the true murderer? Or will his enemy succeed at framing him? Find out in book two of the Wolves of the Beyond series, Shadow Wolf!

— Jen, Scholastic Booktalker

1. SheWolf1029

By the way, please approve my comments! Thanks in advance. :) I wish someone will give me a free set of all your books and post them to me in a big box,like a gift/present on my birthday next year. My #1 hobby is reading. My ambition is to be a vet,but I also want to be a writer,so I guess I will write when I have time while being a vet! :)

2. SheWolf1029

The first book,Lone Wolf is awesome! I loved it! Where can I find the Shadow Wolf? The next time they pass out the forms to buy these books? I can’t wait till’ then if so! And the REAL SheWolf1029,I also hope that a movie comes out! What wonderful ideas you have!

3. ????????

i love the books!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. kungfupanda

I am a huge fan of guardians of gahoole.After I read all the books I want to start the wolfs of the beyond series.Go Kathryn Lasky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. pinkprincess025

I LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!This book soooooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I read it 599 times

6. GryffindorWolf

I’ve read the Guardians of Ga’hoole books, seen the movie (Which was AWESOME by the way), and read Long wolf, and I have a copy of Shadow Wolf. I can’t wait to see how it ends!!!!

7. amberlovescats!!<3

k, i like it but it’s a little too descriptive… is there anyone else who read the book who thinks that mharie and dearlea are faolan’s sisters?

8. Wolf

I LOVE wolves so it makes me love Lone Wolf even better,I just got Shadow Wolf and love it so far.I never wanna stop reading thes books!

9. SheWolf1029

ok, this is the best book on earth! i love both of them, i love that the auther made theese books! wolves are the best animals alive! i cant wait for any next books to the set! oh how i wish theres a movie! i want see foalon jump the wall of fire! it sounds so awesome to see him jump the wall of fire! oh please oh please make a movie! but the books are better, always, but if there is a movie i would watch it day after day, im glad foalons finally in the pack, but will he make the watch at the scared valcanoes? im gonna keep reading, i hope he does!!! i just love foalon, i just love wolves!