October 13, 2010

Wolves of the Beyond Book #2: Shadow Wolf

Posted by at 5:00 am in Reads | Permalink

Wolves_130x130Welcome to Scholastic Booktalks where we recommend brand new Scholastic books that we think you will love. Today's booktalk is: Wolves of the Beyond #2: The Shadow Wolf, sequel to Lone Wolf by Kathryn Lasky.

After being on his own since his second milk mother died, Faolan has found his clan. The MacDuncan clan let Faolan join their ranks, but as a gnaw wolf. Faolan was born with a deformity, a splayed paw with a spiral pattern on it. When wolves are born with deformities, they are considered cursed, given the name “malcadh” and abandoned in the wild. If the malcadh survives, it is allowed to return to the clan but is given the lowest ranking.

Gnaw wolves must sleep at the edge of the territory and fend for themselves. Occasionally, they are given scraps of food after the rest of the clan has eaten. They are expected to be humble and only do what they are told, but this is very difficult for Faolan. Although Faolan is considered deformed by the clan, he also has exceptional abilities. First, he can walk on his hind legs. And second, he can run incredibly fast.

His abilities cause jealousy among the other gnaw wolves. One gnaw wolf, named Heep, is intent on ruining Faolan's chances at winning the gaddergnaw contest. This contest, in which all gnaw wolves compete to become part of the Watch at the Ring of Sacred Volcanoes, is very important. It is the only way that a gnaw wolf can take a larger role in the clan. Faolan knows he has a better chance than the rest of the gnaw wolves, and he is determined to win!

But when Faolan is framed for a violent death, he realizes that proving his innocence is much more important. Will Faolan find the true murderer? Or will his enemy succeed at framing him? Find out in book two of the Wolves of the Beyond series, Shadow Wolf!

— Jen, Scholastic Booktalker

1. SheWolf1029

By the way, please approve my comments! Thanks in advance. :) I wish someone will give me a free set of all your books and post them to me in a big box,like a gift/present on my birthday next year. My #1 hobby is reading. My ambition is to be a vet,but I also want to be a writer,so I guess I will write when I have time while being a vet! :)

2. SheWolf1029

The first book,Lone Wolf is awesome! I loved it! Where can I find the Shadow Wolf? The next time they pass out the forms to buy these books? I can’t wait till’ then if so! And the REAL SheWolf1029,I also hope that a movie comes out! What wonderful ideas you have!

3. ????????

i love the books!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. kungfupanda

I am a huge fan of guardians of gahoole.After I read all the books I want to start the wolfs of the beyond series.Go Kathryn Lasky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. pinkprincess025

I LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!This book soooooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I read it 599 times

6. GryffindorWolf

I’ve read the Guardians of Ga’hoole books, seen the movie (Which was AWESOME by the way), and read Long wolf, and I have a copy of Shadow Wolf. I can’t wait to see how it ends!!!!

7. amberlovescats!!<3

k, i like it but it’s a little too descriptive… is there anyone else who read the book who thinks that mharie and dearlea are faolan’s sisters?

8. Wolf

I LOVE wolves so it makes me love Lone Wolf even better,I just got Shadow Wolf and love it so far.I never wanna stop reading thes books!

9. SheWolf1029

ok, this is the best book on earth! i love both of them, i love that the auther made theese books! wolves are the best animals alive! i cant wait for any next books to the set! oh how i wish theres a movie! i want see foalon jump the wall of fire! it sounds so awesome to see him jump the wall of fire! oh please oh please make a movie! but the books are better, always, but if there is a movie i would watch it day after day, im glad foalons finally in the pack, but will he make the watch at the scared valcanoes? im gonna keep reading, i hope he does!!! i just love foalon, i just love wolves!

10. SheWolf1029

wow! ok i just got done with lone wolf, and started on shadow wolf, i think im in the middle, but i just love the books! i love wolves! there just my life! i hope a movie of the books comes out!!!!!!

11. Lucy

my favroite book is drama queen and ive got a secret and confessions of a bitter secret santa and super sweet 13 and the boy next door and the sister switch and snowfall surprise and rumor has it and the sweetheart deal and the accidental cheerleader and the babysitter wars and star crossed and accidentally fabulous and accidentally famous and accidentally fooled accidentally friends and how to be a girly girl in just 10 days and miss popularity and miss popularity goes camping and making waves and juicy gossip and life; staring me and! and callie for president and totally crushed and wish you were here,lisa and see u soon,samantha and miss u,mina and winner takes it and the dead end and this totally _____ and mrs.fortune and can u see me and haunted castle on hallows eve and belive it or not

12. justus

i really love drama queen and ive got a secret and confessions of a bitter santa and super sweet 13 and the boy next door and the sister switch and snowfall surprise and rumar has it and sweet heart deal and the accidental; cheerleader and the baby sitting wars and star-crossed and accidentally fabulous and accidentally famos and accidentally fooled and accidentally friends and how to be a girly girl in just 10 days and miss popularity and miss popularity goes camping and making waves and juicy gossip and life,staring me and callie for president and totally crushed and wish u were here,lisa and see u soon, samantha and miss u,mina and winner takes it all and the dead end and this totally _____ and mrs. fortune and now u see me

13. justus

my favroite book is this totally _____ and haunted castle on hallows eve and revenge of the camp wenies and attak of the volcano monkeys and the dead end and hello kitty friends and junie b jones and can u see me and mrs.fortune and lone wolf and a to z mysters and rumar has it and justin bieber his world and ive got a secret and drama queen

14. Wolve Of The Beyond Faolan

i love book 1 i can’t wait to read book 2 it’s at my library I’m so excited it’s a wonderful book

15. not tellin u...

i loved the first book!!! it was soo discriptve and i love the part where he takes down the cougar!!! i want to get the second one sooooo bad!!!

16. Josh

Man I need to read the next one when it comes out or if it does I just finished reading and hoped to look it up on google but didnt find it

17. David

I am the world’s biggest fan of the “Guardians of Ga’Hoole” book series (but not the movie). I read “Lone Wolf” several months ago. I CANNOT wait for this book!
    It comes out on Oct. 13, which, for me, was two days ago.