Trivia: Famous First Lines
How well do you know your books? Here are the first sentences of some of my favorite books. See if you can guess the book titles. Warning: I'll give you the official answers next week, but I kind of give away the titles in the hints, so don't click on the links unless you really can't wait for the correct answers!
- When I was little, my uncle Pete had a necktie with a porcupine painted on it. (Hint: Caitlyn Taylor Love from Disney's I'm in the Band recommends this book.)
- They say the sea makes some people sick. (Hint: Scholastic Staffer, Morgan, also loves this book. And the sequel is coming out next spring!)
- Peoples are strange! (Hint: This was one of my favorite books of 2009.)
- The tired old carriage, pulled by two tired old horses, rumbled onto the wharf, its creaky wheels bumpety-bumping on the uneven planks, waking Peter from his restless slumber. (Hint: Peter is the main character and his name also appears in the title of this steampunk book.)
- Lyra and her daemon moved through the darkening hall, taking care to keep to one side, out of sight of the kitchen. (Hint: This book was made into a movie starring Dakota Blue Richards.)
- When Giuseppe found the green violin, he did not think it would help him escape. (Hint: This book is new so you probably haven't read it yet, but this first line is so cool I had to include it! Watch the video trailer here.)
- Rain fell that night, a fine, whispering rain. Many years later, Meggie had only to close her eyes and she could still hear it, like tiny fingers tapping on the windowpane. (Hint: The author of this series has a new book that I can't wait to read!)
- Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much. (Do you seriously need a hint for this book???)
That's it. Leave your answers in the Comments!