October 12, 2010

Trivia Answers: Famous First Lines

Posted by at 2:53 am in Reads, Trivia | Permalink

Ink Splot 26

Famous First Lines Trivia Quiz Answers

How well do you know your books? Here are the first sentences from my Famous First Lines Trivia Quiz last week. Did you guess the book titles?

1. When I was little, my uncle Pete had a necktie with a porcupine painted on it.
    ANSWER: Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
  2. They say the sea makes some people sick.
    ANSWER: Daughters of the Sea: Hannah by Kathryn Lasky
  3. Peoples are strange!
    ANSWER: Unfinished Angel by Sharon Creech
  4. The tired old carriage, pulled by two tired old horses, rumbled onto the wharf, its creaky wheels bumpety-bumping on the uneven planks, waking Peter from his restless slumber.
    ANSWER: Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson
  5. Lyra and her daemon moved through the darkening hall, taking care to keep to one side, out of sight of the kitchen.
    ANSWER: The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
  6. When Giuseppe found the green violin, he did not think it would help him escape. (This book is new so you probably haven't read it yet, but this first line is so cool I had to include it!)
    ANSWER: The Clockwork Three by Matthew Kirby
  7. Rain fell that night, a fine, whispering rain. Many years later, Meggie had only to close her eyes and she could still hear it, like tiny fingers tapping on the windowpane.
    ANSWER: Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
  8. Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
    ANSWER: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

What are the first lines to some of YOUR faves? Leave them in the Comments and see if you can stump your fellow STACKS readers.

1. Natalie

My thing of answers for mine is:
    1. Because of Winn Dixie
    2. Shark boy and Lava Girl
    3. Where the Red Fern Grows
    4. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    5. I forget this one I just copied it from My cousin’s.
    6. Goosebumps
    7.Same as Number #5.
    8. The Hobbit Book
    9.Same as Number #5.
    10. It was one of the Twilight Books called Eclipse.

2. ch

the book this totally _____ is the coolest story i ever heard of i didnt find the dead end and now u see me it has 100 something pages and i like the necklace with the dimond in the middle the purple one i totally love this story so i put it in my sereat box

3. Thalia Grace

1 becase of wihin dixe3where the red fren grows this book made me cry :( 4the 3rd harry potter book10 a twiligth book

4. Natalie

Try to guess these:
    1. I found this dog in the Win-Dixie store.So can I keep it daddy? Dad said-”So ok but what are you gonna name it?”
    2.”Dream a better dream,but dream the dream to be reality” ~this is from a movie I love starring Taylor Launter~
    3. “I will named the pups Old Dan and Little Ann” ~I will give you a hint: The title has the name of The Red Fern in it~
    4. “Sirius Black is a bad wizard. Don’t get near him!” ~Shows something with Wizards. “Sirius Black is my Godfather”~
    5.Wind howled through the night, carrying a scent that would change the world.
    6.My nightmare started like this.
    7.It was autumn in Venice when Victor first heard of Prosper and Bo.
    8.In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.
    9.In a city called Stonetown, near a port called Stonetown Harbor, a boy named Reynie Muldoon was preparing to take an important test.
    10. “Bella was put in prison but had punishments for the prison at home,but Bella wondered how Jacob Black was doing”~This Stories and Movies have our favorite stars in it “Bella aka Kristen Stewart”~

5. noadia

hi i love this wedsite its sooo cool and funnnnny games to play and i do not understand the shark book not a fan of sharks books

6. hermionealltheway

1. It is the weekly market on Wizard Way.
    2. I’m sorry I couldn’t let you read Chapter One.
    3. Wind howled through the night, carrying a scent that would change the world.
    4. It was autumn in Venice when Victor first heard of Prosper and Bo.
    5. Meg and Belch were doing a job.
    6. My nightmare started like this.
    7. Conor Broekhart was born to fly, or more accurately he was born flying.
    8 Igraine woke up because something was crawling all over her face.
    9. There was once an Irish boy who longed to know everything there was to know, so he read book after book until his brain swelled with astronomy, calculus, quantum physics,romantic poets, forensic science and anthropology among a hundred other subjects.
    10. Inside the tombs of the Pharaohs, the Druid stood in the half-light, bone weary and dead tired. (Most of you probably haven’t read this book.)

7. Hermione524

For Marytonga’s:
    1. ?
    2. The Mysterious Benedict Society
    3. ?
    4. One of the Sherlock Holmes books – not sure which one
    5. I forget the name of this book, but I think the author is Terry Pratchett
    6. The Hobbit
    For SuperSapphireSpy’s:
    1. The Lightning Thief
    2. The Last Olympian
    3. ?
    4. ?
    Guess these!
    1. She was aware of their presence in the room before she even awoke.
    2. After the towers came down, Mr. and Mrs. Oakenfeld thought it best that their three children go and stay with their uncle in Canada.
    3. It was Wednesday.
    4. Rats!
    I know, numbers three and four are really hard.

8. SuperSapphireSpy

Okay, for Marytonga’s I’m guessing number 4 is Sherlock Holmes and number 6 is Lord of the Rings.
    Here are some of mine:
    1. Look, I didn’t want to be a half-blood.
    2. The end of the world started when a pegasus landed on the hood of my car.
    3. Even before he got electrocuted, Jason was having a rotten day.
    4. The hunger strike began two hours east of Paris.
    Yeah, they’re all really easy, especially if you know me.

9. lyta_hopeflame

Haven’t read many of these! But in England Harry Potter #1 is Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, not Sorcerer’s – is it different in America? And The Golden Compass is the name of the movie, not the book. They changed it for some absurd reason- the original title of the literary work was Northern Lights.
    I haven’t read most of these, but I have to say the coolest first line ever is from Fell. The Sight’s was a little rubbishy, “In the beginning was a castle on a craggy precipice,” the next line is better. But Fell’s is beautiful- “In the shadows of a looming mountain, deep within the mysterious land beyond the forest, a small grey wolf pack came weaving invisibly through the red gold pines and soaring pines.”
    Another nice one is Gone- “One minute the teacher was talking about the Civil War. The next he was gone.”

10. Marytonga

1: That fool of a fairy Lucinda did not intend to lay a curse on me.
    2: In a city called Stonetown, near a port called Stonetown Harbor, a boy named Reynie Muldoon was preparing to take an important test.
    3: The wolf tasted the babe’s face with the tip of his tongue and pronounced her sweet, and the fox licked the back of her head to see if it was so.
    4: Mr. Sherlock Holmes, who was usually very late in the mornings, save upon those not infrequent occasions when he stayed up all night, was seated at the breakfast table.
    5: There once was a boy named Milo who didn’t know what to do with himself- not just sometimes, but always.
    6: In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.