October 18, 2010

I SPY Spooky Mansion Wii Game

Posted by at 1:00 am in Games | Permalink

I-SPY-Spooky-Mansion-Wii INSIDE TRACK: I SPY SPOOKY MANSION

You know when a new gadget comes out and there’s tons of people who wait on line to get their hands on it? Well, I admit I was one of those people when the Wii first came out. I woke up at 2am to camp outside the store until it opened to be one of the first (I was the fifth, in case you’re wondering) to get my hands on a Wii. So it’s pretty cool to have a job creating video games every day! Study_spookymansion_wii

I SPY Spooky Mansion is Scholastic’s latest Wii game. It is inspired by the best-selling book, I SPY Spooky Night by Jean Marzollo and Walter Wick—who basically started the hidden object craze in the early 90s before “hidden object” even became a game genre. Wii is my absolute favorite platform for I SPY games because we can create a virtual 3D experience versus a flat, 2D experience. Since the setting of I SPY Spooky Mansion is a haunted house, we could make the entire house 3D and have players explore it, making it seem as if you are actually walking through each room in the house.

Instead of just having players search for hidden objects, we added mini-games to every riddle. For example, if a riddle says to find “two spinning plates,” you’d have to find those plates and then spin them using the Wii Remote to solve that piece of the riddle.  Plate Spinning Game

It was important to pick up elements from the I SPY Spooky Night book, like the trickster skeleton that dares you to enter the haunted house and beckons you from room to room to solve the riddles. That skeleton (We call him “Skelly.”) needed to be in the game because he provides what’s called the “game objective.” Skelly dares you to enter his spooky mansion only to trap you inside. This sets you up to escape the spooky mansion by finding and solving the riddles in the house and playing his clever games. Skelly is quite mischievous and the riddles can be challenging, so you can enlist three of your friends to play along with you to solve the riddles and scavenger hunts. See for yourself in the trailer.

Spooky Wii Concept Sketch_pencil Creating the packaging art is another exciting part about launching a video game. The creative part of me loves this kind of stuff. This cover originally started out as a pencil sketch and evolved to what you see now. Since I SPY is all about finding hidden objects, we wanted a cover where you can actually play I SPY. If you look below, you’ll find a bounty of hidden objects. How many can you find? Try writing your own I SPY riddle below in the Comments. I SPY Spooky Mansion Wii

—Amabel, Scholastic Media Staffer

1. jami

Best thing i found for the plates—The red plate has a shorter time bar. Fill the blue and green up and then focus on the red.

2. Nancy

I’m at the dining room table got the riddle done go to leave room the ghost tells me I’m done but when I go towards door it freezes have to Turn my wii off can’t finish the game.

3. Jerry

Using the minus button to pause and reposition the hand before pressing A to continue worked. It still takes awhile but it can be done. Also shaking the controler from side to side vigorously instead of twirling helps

4. Jerry

Finally got it done with the pause trick – but it was a workout… Using the minus button to pause was easiest, then get the finger back to the next plate before pressing A. And dont actually twirl, but shake the controler vigorously side to side

5. Angela

I had better luck using the minus button to pause the game(because you can still see the plates). Use 1 thumb to hit minus and the other to hit A. I also shook the remote instead of doing a spinning motion….however, it doesn’t end there….there is still a little more game left.

6. Angela

DARK is in the closet in the attic. You have to use the flashlight. There is a hanger in the shape of an A….the other letters are also in the closet.

7. Angela

The DARK can be found in the closet using the flashlight in the attic. There is a hanger in the shape of an A, the remaining letters are there also.

8. Tammy

We loved Ultimate I Spy, so we assumed we would love “I Spy Spooky Mansion” and we were actually enjoying it until we had to make the three plates spin at the same time. We cannot get past it. This means I have wasted money buying the game since we are only on the second level and can’t get any further. I am frustrated and angy, and I do not think I will buy any more Scholastic games. The maker just does not give you enough time to spin all 3 at the same time. What a rip off!

9. DianeM

We also cannot keep the three plates spinning. Teens and adults alike!!! We’ve done the “pause” trick with no help. HELP!! We’re getting ready to toss it to Goodwill.

10. Tina

The three plates part is absolutely impossible, even WITH using the pause feature. This is the only thing that has kept three adults from finishing this fool game. Frustrating!!!

11. dazia

will i love this game it is so fun all i now adout it is that it is a i spy game an you i mean i say all adout it you will have to buy it so have a lot of fun see you soon

12. secret

How do you solve the D A R K riddle in the attic NOT IN THE LAB
    I give it a 7 on a scale of 1 to 5!!!

13. Goaltenders

Spin a plate to max. Pause game. Point hand close to the next plate, while hovering over the continue button. Spin second plate to max, and pause again. Go back to first plate, and re-spin to max. Pause game. Go to third plate, again hovering over the continue button and spin third to WIN!

14. Ann

I agree with Tammy. How do you keep the 3 plates spinning? We have had several people try (who are very good at Wii) and cannot finish this, which has stalled us on the rest of the game (6 & 7 year old are getting very discouraged).

15. sonja

Does anyone know the trick to keeping 3 plates spinning?
    Comment #9 | Posted by: Tammy on November 16, 2010 at 03:04 PM
    Did anyone answer her? I am stuck at this one too. My arm gives out before I can get them all going at the same time in green.
    If you have a trick for this please write back.

16. jose

IM 45 and I cant figure out how to spin the 3 plates, PLEASE help !!!! Ive tried running the controller over all three at once it helped a little,got 2 to the green… I have only this node left to find!!!!!
    PLEASE!!!!!

17. Shelia

that video was so cool. If i had a wii i would buy that game. It was sooooooooo cool:):):):):):)!! this game is literly for me:)