Howdy, history buffs. Last week I posted a blog about the Dear America book series, and a quiz to go with it. The quiz had questions from four time periods: Mayflower era, Revolutionary War, the sinking of the Titanic, and World War II. Did you guys channel your inner Social Studies smarts? Check out the answers!
1. A Journey to the New World was written by Kathryn Lasky. Which currently popular books series did she also write?
ANSWER: The Guardians of Ga’Hoole
2. Were there really any survivors of the sinking of the Titanic?
ANSWER: Yes, there were 711 survivors out of the 2,224 aboard. The last living survivor, Elizabeth Gladys Dean, died in 2009.
3. Which two Japanese cities were bombed after the bombing of Pearl Harbor?
ANSWER: Hiroshima and Nagasaki
4. What is the main reason the Pilgrims set sail for the new world?
ANSWER: Religious freedom.
5. What famous 1776 document declared that the 13 American colonies were no longer part of the British empire, but now a new nation?
ANSWER: The Declaration of Independence.
6. Who was the President of the U.S. during World War II?
ANSWER: Franklin Roosevelt was initially, but he died in office and Harry Truman succeeded him. So, actually two presidents spanned WWII.
7. What national holiday stems from the Pilgrims and the Wampanoag Indians?
ANSWER: Thanksgiving. The first Thanksgiving feast is said to have been in 1621.
8. What caused the Titanic to sink?
ANSWER: It hit an iceberg.
Can’t get enough? Check out the Dear America site to explore the characters’ scrapbooks. There are pictures and keepsakes, arts & crafts, recipes, paper doll fashions, quizzes, games, and you can write in an entry in the Living Diary/ Message Board. Until next time!
—Ratha, Stacks Writer