September 17, 2010

Interview a Dragon Trainer

Dragon_130UPDATE: Hiccup replied! You can read his answers to your questions here.

Have you ever wondered what would happen if you found an injured dragon and tried to train it? Well, THE STACKS will be bringing in an expert who has gone through that exact experience, and you can get your questions answered! Hiccup, the Viking from the movie How to Train Your Dragon (rated PG) has agreed to answer your burning questions. (Get it? burning. . . dragon! I’m full of cleverness!) Anyway, now is your chance to ask about his experiences with wild dragons, his misunderstood life among the barbaric Vikings, and how his life has changed since the movie made him a star.

Dragon
Find out more about the characters Hiccup and Astrid in our blog post from last spring when the movie came out in theaters. If you missed it, you’ll get to see How to Train Your Dragon on DVD soon – it’s coming out on October 15. That is also date when I’ll be posting Hiccup’s answers to your questions, so check back here then!

Don’t forget to leave your questions for Hiccup in the Comments.

Photos courtesy of DreamWorks Animation

1. harrypotterisbeast

THAT WAS A REALLY COOL MOVIEEEEEEE!!!
    And OMG, someone wants to MARRY you. Tehehe. It’s funny though!!!
    Just one Q:
    Do you like Harry Potter?
    Bcuz HP is beastly. It owns in the face, it’s ownage.
    Peace!!!

2. Geoff

Have you ever considered flying across the ocean?? Sure, its a long trip, but it makes another great adventure for the two of you! (And don’t worry, you wont fall of the edge of the Earth…)

3. Monica

Do any of the other dragons from the Dragon Book attack your village? If so, which ones? What’s it like flying? Is it cool? Is Snotlout really your cousin? Have you ever seen any other Night Furies besides Toothless? Also, does Toothless like to eat anything else besides fish and sheep? Is he house-trained, or does he spend most of his time outside? Is he really pure black, or is he a dark midnight blue? How old do dragons live to be? How old is Toothless? How old are you? Am I asking too many questions? I’m sorry, I’m just a HUGE fan!! Say hi to Toothless for me, okay? <3

4. jonte

I would love to train a dragon because it would be cool to ride a dragon any place i like and i could take anybody i don’t like to a place far away like japan or Asia.

5. Vanessa

I enjoyed this movie very much. How did this movie change your life and how did it feel to be able to take a part in this movie?
    And if I were to find a dragon I would probably try to see whats wrong with it and try to see if I could help. Also I would try to keep it a secret due to his danger of being killed. But I probably would be really scared the first time I saw him.

6. Jack

Hey Hiccup! How did you make it through the discouragement and ridicule when you were younger? Like your father, adults and other teens (you are a teen right?)
    Because I kind of feel the same right now.
    Thanks!

7. V

Why didn’t you bring Toothless with you when you were searching for the Boneknapper? Like seriously, you don’t like him anymore? xD

8. Tom

So, is anyone in the village jealous that you have toothless(a night fury)?
    I know I would be, its like having a Mustang when the guy next to you has a Ferrari or something, you get my point.

9. HiccupFan

Here’s what I think Hiccup would probably say:
    I can’t sing, Toothless will not be Banishing anyone’s sister, and Yes, Astrid is my girlfriend now.
    No Toothless, don’t burn that!

10. Camicazi

Hiccup,
    Why am I not in the movie? I’m sooooo much better then that Astrid, I can do anything she can while both of my eyes are clossed with my hands tied behind my back and jumping on one foot.
    Camicazi

11. Eos

Dear Hiccup,
    What did you think when people gestured to you and said ‘this’ in a negative way?
    Your fellow Viking friend
    Eos

12. Eos

Dear Hiccup,
    Is your new movie going to be called “how to be a pirate?” If not do you have any idea what the name might be?
    Your fellow viking friend
    Eos

13. gottahavemypops

haha this is a very interesting conversation, honest to god, this movie is for little kids, but other than that SP is right!

14. Sydney

I don’t know if ill be able to go and see it but hopefully I will! I love action movies and Sci-fi too! Also, do they have a book “How to trian your Dragon” because i would really like to read it!

15. smantha

gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood movie

16. Stephanie

Dear Hiccup,
    Is Toothless the only Night Fury? When you guys uncovered the Red Death, Toothless was the only Night Fury there.

17. Holly

Dear Hiccup,
    If your mother were still alive, do you think she would approve of the dragons? If so, which dragon would she ride?

18. anna

hey hiccup did u ever have any weird dreams when u were uncontious? and how long were u out after toothless saved u?….and whats ur favorite color and how do u do ur hair cause i have the same hairstyle,we could b twins!! serriously my mom actually yelled at me 4 looking exactly like u!hehe srry that was random

19. Kimi

Hiccup,
    It appears someone suggested you listen to Simple Plan. You’re Scandinavian, no? Support your Norwegian friends and listen to Kaizers Orchestra.

20. anna

can u teach me how 2 make the balista from the beggining of the movie? r u 14??…and wat did that fish tast like that toothless hacked up?would u concider going out 4 susi after that or r u scared 4 life

21. Casey

Hiccup-
    when you were battling the “Green Death,” did you have that plan (weaken the wings then take it out from the inside with a nicely aimed fire-blast) in mind all along? Or did it just come to you, last minute?
    Either way, it was genius! Thanks- you rock!

22. Sami

Hi Hiccup!
    You’re amazing! A few questions (you don’t have to answer them all): How old are you? Do you have any idea how old Toothless might be? And how did you get started in inventing- your “contraptions/inventions”?
    Thanks!

23. Leo

HTTYD is a great animated movie.
    ~~~
    By the way,Have Hiccup ever met his mother? Where is she? Is it possible to tell us Hiccup’s past in the sequel? In the first movie,he is 17 years old,right?

24. stonefairy

How did you feel when you first started taking dragon-fighting lessons as compared to later, when you knew all about dragons from training Toothless?

25. Jamie

Are there many bugs in the sky? And if so, have you concidered goggles or would Toothless be up to “snack” them up for you?

26. Lucky

So.. How old is Hiccup in the movie? He looks like 14 years old..
    And can you tell me what happened with Hiccup’s mother?

27. Erik R

What kind of music do you like?
    Also I think you should check out a band called simple plan.especially Welcome to my life.

28. Kendall

Dear Hiccup,
    Is there any chance you would dump Astrid and consider someone else? Cause I’m pretty sure I’m in love.
    Sincerely, Kendall

29. Astrid Elphaba Lovegood

While you invented for Toothless and to bring down dragons, how were you able to overcome setbacks so easily and keep rolling on?

30. Morgan

Hiccup,
    Did you ever end up finding a troll? Gobber said they’re real, so I would assume you, if anybody, would have encountered one!

31. Helen

Now that How to Train Your Dragon 2 has been announced are you excited about the idea of doing another story? And what would you like to see happen this time around?

32. Corrin

Did vikings fight other things besides dragons? Like snow giants? (I read in a book that they did)So I just wanna know if it was true or not. Thanks

33. Nicole

Just kidding around. It looks like a very interesting movie but kinda for ore younger kids which means I wouldnt watch the movie SORRY