July 29, 2010

Wimpy Kid: Diary to DVD

WimpyKid_ColorTitle_130

Aah August. Hot summer days, back to school sales. . . and my cousin’s birthday. Pretty much the usual. EXCEPT this August 3, 2010, the Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie (rated PG) comes out on DVD. Now that doesn’t happen every year, does it? And how are we going to celebrate? With fun new interviews of course!

We spoke with Jeff Kinney, author of the books, and Zachary Gordon, the actor who plays Greg. First we asked Jeff:

Q: In real life, would Greg be a friend of yours?
Jeff:
I think so. Even though he’s kind of petty and self-centered, I think he has an interesting point of view and he would amuse me.

Q: Do you keep a diary. . . er journal?
Jeff:
No, but I kept one in my mid-twenties. In fact, the format of the journals I kept as an adult — text and drawings — gave me the idea for Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I ended up stopping because I was spending more time documenting my life than living it!
[Ratha: Lol! That's what Miley Cyrus said in one of our interviews, about why she quit Twitter.]

Wimpykid_130

Q: How does the movie compare with the book?
Jeff:
We tried to capture the best moments from the book and put them in the movie so fans of the series would be happy. What I really like about the movie is that you grow attached to Greg and Rowley and you really care about their friendship.
[Ratha: It's true! I actually ended up liking Rowley much more than Greg in the movie. . . but vice-versa in the book!]
Jeff: That’s something that the books don’t deliver on as well. I think that some scenes in the book translate really well in the movie, like the school play. I think the movie tells the same story in a really different way. We could’ve made an animated movie that stuck with the book word for word, but I don’t think the audience would’ve felt satisfied. I think the audience wants to be surprised.

Q: What do you think is the best part of the movie?
Jeff:
My favorite part is when Greg sings during tryouts for The Wonderful Wizard of Oz play.

Q: What surprised you the most about the process of making your book into a movie?
Jeff:
How collaborative the process is. With a book, all you need is a writer and a pad of paper. To make a movie, you need hundreds of people and loads of equipment.

Q: Do you have any advice for kids who want to write or draw?
Jeff:
I’d recommend that you copy the style of other artists and writers to start off. That way, you can see how they do what they do, and it will become a part of your toolkit and help you develop your own style.

And now here’s Zachary Gordon, who stars as Greg in the movie:

Q: Will there be a Wimpy Kid sequel?
Zach:
I hope so, I think there possibly will, though we don’t know yet.
[Ratha: Our sources tell us that the sequel, Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2: Roderick Rules, is in pre-production, and will hit theaters March 25, 2011!]

Q: What else are you working on?
Zach:
Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2. I play George Lopez’s son, a mischievous Chihuahua who always gets himself into trouble. It’ll be out later this year.
[Ratha: Look for Greg starring as the voice of mischievous Chihuahua, aka "Papi Junior."]

Q: Were you a fan of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series before you got the movie?
Zach:
Yes, I told my mom I wanted to make a movie of it!

Q: What else do you like to read?
Zach:
Right now I’m reading The Titan’s Curse by Rick Riordan; it’s a great book. And of course, Diary of a Wimpy Kid is one of my favorite book series.

Q: What other literary character would you like to play?
Zach:
I’d like to be in a movie of one of the Dr. Seuss books. I’d like to be one of those creatures.

Q: Do your older brothers treat you like the baby?
Zach:
Like Rodrick in the movie Diary of a Wimpy Kid, they pick on me, and they torture me, but I know they love me.

Q: Is there anything people don’t know about you that you wish they did?
Zach:
I am a singer and dancer.
[Ratha: Hmm. . . I have the feeling Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Musical! Will hit Broadway in a few years. . .]

If you need a refresher on how funny the movie was, check out all our coverage of the Wimpy Kid movie. And if you are Zach Gordon fan, don’t miss this STACKS video of him being adorable!

Until next time!

— Ratha, STACKS Writer

Zachary Gordon Interview by Marie Morreale
Images courtesy of 20th Century Fox

1. Narayan

Third Flower My spouse and that i have been now deteihlgd that Albert could perform his scientific studies on account of the strategies he had via your online page. It really is from time to time perplexing to only constantly be gifting away ways which some individ

2. pinkchihuahua290

I think diary of a wimpy kid are great and creative books. I also like the movie. I like the book how the movies are in real life the animated in between.

3. g10

I LOVE this movie it is sooooo funny my 4 year old brother evean likes it my 18 year old loves it my mom loves it DIARY OF A WIMPY KID ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. I Love To Read!

I love the books and the movie! I almost shot milk out of my nostrils watching it! My favorite part was the secret code they made up and lots of other things too!

5. De''Quaven

This book is hilarious I think all up coming middle school students should read it. It tells you what you should look forward to in middle school and the things you will have to go through, so I think this book should be as a warning for 5th grader’s.

6. Patrick

Q:Jeff are you thinking about another Diary of a wimpy kid movie? In Your next Diary of a wimpy kid book can i be a guest star in it please?

7. ms._fabuluz

OMG!!!!!!!!! I LOVE THE MOVIE IT WAS LOL HALARIOUS. I WAS LITERALLY CRYING LAUGHING WHEN I SAW THE MOVIE. A COUPLE FRIENDS AND I SAW IT TOGETHER
    BEST OF LUCK 4 THE FUTURE GUYS!!!!!!

8. dimond_babii

i love diary of a wimpy kid movie and the books i think its one of the most intresting n funny kidz books its inspired me to read all the books it comes out with

9. bhnm234

i think a Diary of a wimpy kid 2 the sequel, rodericks rules would be an wasmoe movie espcially when they would have new characters. I hope this movie will be funny and exciting at the same time.

10. SoulSisterTrain

u no the kid who plays greg he came to our middle school for a book signing. Awesome. PS I <3 all the books and the movies. Greg in the movie doesn’t look like the kinda kid who wrote the diary in the books.

1. Saleh

soul tanggg: lol…lucky i only have one hhehehe…dwd: thank you and happy valentine’s to you!!you know who: thanks a lot…!!! :) lC: thank you, dear…your’s are far much better..happy valentine’s day!!

11. yuvia

i liked the books better then the movie. the movie felt just like a mash up of the books to me he didnt get the parts i liked abount the books in the movie

1. Lihin

fabulous publish Hi right adidtionally there simply needed to will offer quick views upwards. The honest phrases on post might be operating in the particular reveal within Just like. I believe unsure when that is considered any specific formatting anxiety about one thi

12. ferrari g2

When diary of a wimpy kid was still selling books it was a big hit even more than harry potter,but when it was on dvd it stunk.

1. Magnolia

spectacular add I’ve mastered a few new aspcets by method of the crafting. Also something more to We now have recognized is frequently that may probably, FSBO suppliers may avoid you actually genuinely. Try to think about, they can would instead not possibly help ver

13. noodle head

I loved the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books! They’re so funny! The movie was really good too, but I like the books better.

14. bigboy37

THE MOVIE WAS THE BEST!!!! my favorite part was when greg made the kids go into that deep hole becuase of the teenagers he saw on halloween!

15. BFootball1

i really like reading diary of a wimpy kid series its a really great book i have also took ar tests on them i hope they come out another movie and more books